Anode designation in a lead acid cell

In summary, the conversation discusses the conventional cathode and anode designations for lead acid cells. The anode is where current flows and electrons flow out of, and in a secondary cell, the designations are based on the discharge reaction. However, in the charging reaction, the naming is reversed and this is often overlooked. The anode in a lead acid cell should be the lead electrode, as it gains electrons from the sulphate ions during discharge. However, some sources show the anode as the oxidation electrode where electrons flow into. The anode is made of lead dioxide when charged, and it is oxidizing because it is giving away electrons to the hydrogen ions. Further research is needed to clarify the role of lead in the reaction
Silhorn
Hi,

I am trying to determine the conventional cathode and anode designations for lead acid cells.

From what I have researched:

• Anode is where current flows in the device, or where electrons flow out of.

• In a secondary cell the designations for anode and cathode are based on the discharge reaction and while in the charging reaction the naming should be reversed it is misleadingly ignored.

From this the anode in a lead acid cell should be the lead electrode as that's where it gains electrons from the sulphate ions during discharge.

But if I use google images for a lead acid cell all of the images I see show the anode as the oxidation electrode where electrons would flow into.

Could someone clear this up for me?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The anode is the positive electrode. During discharge it becomes positive and during charge a positive potential is applied, so it is still positive.
This Wiki article gives the chemistry, and at the cathode the release of electrons in the reaction can be seen. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead–acid_battery
The anode is made of lead dioxide when charged.

ok so the positive electrode is the lead dioxide which oxidizes when discharging correct?

It is oxidizing because it is giving away electrons to the hydrogen ions?

Now I have been doing more research and something else needs to be cleared up for me.

At the lead electrode:
The lead gives up electrons.
The sulfate ions also attract to the lead which gives up electrons to form radical sulfate and reacts with the positive lead ions to form lead sulphate.

Is this true?
That means lead is actually the oxidizing electrode and not the lead dioxide electrode?

Sources:
https://www.ausetute.com.au/pbbattery.html
http://www.altenergy.org/renewables/lead-acid_batteries.html
(Skip to time 1:55)

Beware: the reactions are reversed during charging and discharging. Saying "lead gives up electrons" without clearly stating whether you refer to the charging or discharging leads tom confusion.

Silhorn said:
The sulfate ions also attract to the lead which gives up electrons to form radical sulfate and reacts with the positive lead ions to form lead sulphate.

Care to elaborate? I have serious problems trying to decode what you just wrote. I am not sure what "radical sulfate" is intended to mean.

1. What is an anode in a lead acid cell?

The anode in a lead acid cell is the positive electrode. It is the site of the electrochemical reaction that produces electricity.

2. How is the anode designated in a lead acid cell?

In a lead acid cell, the anode is designated as the terminal connected to the positive terminal of the battery. It is typically marked with a plus sign (+).

3. Why is the anode designated as the positive electrode in a lead acid cell?

This is due to the flow of electrons within the battery. Electrons flow from the anode to the cathode, creating a positive charge at the anode and a negative charge at the cathode.

4. Can the anode and cathode be switched in a lead acid cell?

No, the anode and cathode cannot be switched in a lead acid cell. This would reverse the flow of electrons and prevent the battery from functioning properly.

5. How is the anode material chosen in a lead acid cell?

The material used for the anode in a lead acid cell is typically lead dioxide. This material has a high energy density and is able to withstand the chemical reactions that occur during the charging and discharging of the battery.