Electroplating, anode and cathode help.

In summary: This is a process that involves losing electrons from an atom. The anode is the electrode that is gaining these electrons. When the battery is charging, the anode is the one getting electroplated.
Cee
I'm just having trouble understanding, I get the gist of it though.
This is what I know in a electrolytic cell (I may be wrong):
The cathode is negative, anode is positive and the current travels from the cathode to anode right?

So during electroplating, the anode is the electrode being deposited to... but if it's the anode, that means oxidation occurs and loses electrons. In the end, how does the anode have a larger mass? I just can't get my head around the oxidation and reduction.

I have done my fair share of research and googling but I'm still confused. Especially this:

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/6060/elctro.png

Unless the diagram is absolutely wrong, it looks to me as if the electron start from the left (spoon) and electroplates the silver but that's not how they explain it...

Help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cee. You have to keep your wits about you in electrochemistry! Unless you are already given the terms "anode" and "cathode", IMHO It's best not to introduce them because in some cells (e.g., a lead-acid battery) the terms swap when you attach the charger!

Also, only refer to "current" when discussing the external copper wire conductor. If examining flow of charges in the electrolyte, refer to migration of ions because that's how charge is moved around. (It's wrong to visualize it as electron movement.)

With those tips out of the way, given the way the battery symbol is depicted we can say current flows from the battery's right hand terminal through the ammeter, and to the block of silver.

http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon2.gif Remember, due to historical accident, electrical current in a wire is defined to be opposite to the direction that electrons flow!

This means electrons are emerging from the cell's silver block and flowing through the ammeter to the battery's right side, and ― as is the nature of batteries ― corresponding numbers of electrons emerge from the battery's left side flowing towards the spoon.

Electrons don't bank up anywhere, so they must be meeting some + ions at the junction of that metal spoon and the solution. That equates to a migration of Ag+ through the electrolyte towards the spoon, and at the spoon's surface these ions gain an electron and deposit out as Ag metal.

All clear?

Last edited by a moderator:
During electrolysis silver is deposited at the cathode.

1. What is electroplating?

Electroplating is a process in which a thin layer of one metal is deposited onto a conductive surface, typically using an electric current. This is done to enhance the appearance, durability, or conductivity of the surface.

2. What is an anode in electroplating?

An anode is the positively charged electrode in an electroplating process. It is made of the metal that will be used to coat the surface, and it is responsible for releasing metal ions into the solution.

3. What is a cathode in electroplating?

A cathode is the negatively charged electrode in an electroplating process. It is usually made of the object being plated or a conductive material, and it attracts the metal ions from the anode to form a coating on its surface.

4. How is electroplating helpful?

Electroplating has many practical applications, such as improving the appearance of objects, providing corrosion resistance, and increasing the conductivity of surfaces. It is also used in industries such as automotive, electronics, and jewelry making.

5. What factors affect the success of electroplating?

The success of electroplating depends on several factors, including the type and condition of the surface being plated, the composition and concentration of the plating solution, and the temperature and current used in the process. Proper cleaning and preparation of the surface, as well as consistent and controlled plating conditions, are crucial for a successful electroplating outcome.