Anode erosion of a moisture probe

In summary: I think with 200k I might get too little current.In summary, the individual is using a basic moisture sensor made from a copper tube and insulated wire. They are having issues with the decay of the anode and are looking for alternative materials that will not corrode and are not too fragile. One suggestion is to increase the 2k resistor to 200k to slow down the corrosion.
this_tim
I'm working on a project in which I'm using a basic moisture sensor that I've made by sliding an insulated wire inside of a copper tube in such a way that the insulated wire with it's insulation extends past the tube about 1/8". That is then poked into the ground. On the other end of the copper tube I connect a wire with a 2k resistor to ground. I send 5 volts through the wire and take a voltage reading at a point before the 2k resistor - a basic voltage divider. All that's fine and is not a problem. When the ground is moist I get a reading and when it's not I get zero volts because what voltage does make it through goes to ground.

The problem I'm having is the decay of the anode (the copper wire tip). In this case, the copper wire is acting as an anode, with the soil moisture (because of the salt content) acting as an electrolyte. I tried various metals to replace the copper wire and they all eventually erode. So then I replaced it with piece of .5mm mechanical pencil lead (graphite) which I crimped into a tiny copper tube and sealed with petroleum jelly and shrink wrap to protect the copper tube from moisture so that all anode activity is upon the graphite that extends past the shrink wrap and wa-la, no corrosion and all works great. The only problem is the graphite tip is too fragile so it can be easily broken off.

My question for you all, since I know little about the ion exchange or whatever is going on to deteriorate all but the graphite tip, is what else can I use that would conduct electricity in the same way to form my voltage divider circuit without being fragile like the graphite yet also not corrode.

You can kinda see how I'm using this in one of my YouTube videos at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QembRhdR4z0&list=PLzZP3kZn2OzMWUHs1xM0R-waD2ALm87uj&index=2 If you go to 2:14, you'll see a typical moisture meter probe which I started with before using the copper wire inside the tube, both of which preceded the use of the graphite. If you go to the picture at 2:34 and look to the lower right hand side of the controller box, you'll see the probe inserted through the wood frame into the soil.

Please help, or direct me to a place in this forum where I might receive a solution.

Thanks,
Tim

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Too much current?

How about increasing your 2k resistor to 200k? That would slow the anode corrosion by a factor of 100.

That's actually a pretty good idea that somehow eluded me - thanks.

1. What is anode erosion?

Anode erosion refers to the gradual wearing away of the anode material on a moisture probe. This can occur due to various factors such as exposure to corrosive chemicals or high temperatures.

2. How does anode erosion affect the performance of a moisture probe?

Anode erosion can significantly impact the accuracy and reliability of a moisture probe. As the anode material wears away, it can lead to incorrect readings or even complete failure of the probe.

3. What are the common causes of anode erosion in moisture probes?

The most common causes of anode erosion in moisture probes include exposure to harsh chemicals, high temperatures, and mechanical wear and tear. Improper installation or maintenance can also contribute to anode erosion.

4. Can anode erosion be prevented?

While anode erosion cannot be completely prevented, it can be minimized by using high-quality anode materials, proper installation and maintenance, and regular calibration of the moisture probe.

5. How often should a moisture probe be checked for anode erosion?

It is recommended to check for anode erosion at least once a year, or more frequently if the probe is installed in a harsh environment. If any signs of erosion are found, the probe should be replaced or repaired immediately to ensure accurate readings.