Anomaly set theoretic equivalent to material implication

In summary, the symbol for material implication is sometimes written as ##p\subseteq q## because this is the set theoretic analog of the operation, but this is not always the case.
nomadreid
Gold Member
OK, this is embarrassing, but I never looked carefully at this elementary point. We say that if
p implies q
P is the set of all things for which p is true
Q is the set of all things for which q is true
then Q ⊆ P.
Also that the set of all things for which p&q is true equals P∩Q
But p & q implies p, so (from the above) P ⊆ P ∩ Q, which is in general false.
What is wrong?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
OK, this is embarrassing, but I never looked carefully at this elementary point. We say that if
p implies q
P is the set of all things for which p is true
Q is the set of all things for which q is true
then Q ⊆ P.

Are you sure that shouldn't be ##P\subseteq Q##?

Likes nomadreid
that was also my reaction, micromass, but I read a number of sources which stated it as I have put it, including HallsofIvy on this forum: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/set-theory-representation-of-material-implication.206811/ :
/If P is the set of all things for which statement p is true and Q the set of all things for which statement q is true, then "If p then q" can be represented as "Q is a subset of P"./
This is apparently the reason that the symbol for material implication is often the (backward) subset sign: "p implies q" is often written as p⊃q, as you can see in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Material_conditional and other sources. (In fact, this usage is what got me started on this question.)
So ...?

Let p = divisible by 4, let q = divisible by 2. Then ##P = 4\mathbb{Z}## and ##Q = 2\mathbb{2}##. We have ##p\rightarrow q## and we have ##P\subseteq Q##. So I don't see how it could be differently.

The answer of Halls in that thread is wrong on another level to. It is right that the set theoretic version of ##p \wedge q## is ##A\cap B## and so on. But the set theoretic version of a operation should be a set. So it is false that the set theoretic analog of ##p\rightarrow q## is ##A\subseteq B## (or ##B\subseteq A##), since that is not a set. The set theoretic analog is rather equal to ##A^c \cup B## (in classical logic, the theory becomes much more complicated and more beautiful in other logics).

The reason why we sometimes use ##p\subset q## for ##q\rightarrow p## is an unfortunate historical coincidence, see http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...the-symbol-supset-when-it-means-implication-a

Likes nomadreid
Thanks very much, micromass. Whew, that's a relief; my initial doubt was like suddenly thinking that maybe 1+1 isn't really 10. This historical accident sounds a bit like the unfortunate convention in physics that switched positive and negative in current. Also thanks for pointing the very good and easily overlooked point about sets versus proper classes.

1. What is an anomaly set theoretic equivalent to material implication?

Anomaly set theoretic equivalent to material implication is a mathematical concept that represents a logical relationship between two statements, where the truth of one statement implies the truth of the other. In set theory, this relationship is represented by the symbol "⇒" and is equivalent to the material implication symbol "→" in logic.

2. How is anomaly set theoretic equivalent to material implication different from standard material implication?

Anomaly set theoretic equivalent to material implication differs from standard material implication in that it takes into account the possibility of anomalies, or exceptions, in the relationship between the two statements. This allows for a more nuanced understanding of logical relationships, particularly in complex or ambiguous situations.

3. Can you give an example of anomaly set theoretic equivalent to material implication?

Sure, an example of anomaly set theoretic equivalent to material implication is the statement "All mammals have fur ⇒ All cats have fur." This statement implies that if something is a mammal, it must have fur. However, there may be anomalies, such as hairless cats, that do not have fur but are still considered cats. This is represented by the symbol "⇒", which allows for the possibility of anomalies.

4. How is anomaly set theoretic equivalent to material implication used in scientific research?

Anomaly set theoretic equivalent to material implication is used in scientific research as a tool for analyzing complex relationships and making logical conclusions. It allows researchers to consider the possibility of exceptions or anomalies in their data, which can lead to more accurate and nuanced conclusions.

5. Are there any controversies surrounding anomaly set theoretic equivalent to material implication?

There are some controversies surrounding anomaly set theoretic equivalent to material implication, particularly in its use in statistical analysis. Some argue that it can lead to overfitting of data and invalid conclusions. However, others argue that it is a valuable tool for understanding complex relationships and should be used with caution and in conjunction with other statistical methods.