Another kinematics problem.

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a physics problem involving a flowerpot being thrown from a balcony and hitting the ground after a certain amount of time. The student is initially confused about how to find the height of the balcony, but realizes they need to use the second equation and includes the necessary velocity equation. The conversation also touches on the concept of displacement and distance, with some clarification on the difference between the two.
-Dragoon-
Thanks for all the help on the previous question, everyone. I appreciate it. :smile: I've got just another problem that has confused me.

Homework Statement

Marian, who is standing on her balcony, is surprised by a pigeon and throws a flowerpot up in the air at 2.1m/s. It takes 3.0 seconds for the flowerpot to smash to the ground. The flowerpot experiences acceleration due to gravity of 9.81m/s^2 [down].
a) how high is Marian's balcony?
b) How fast was the flowerpot moving just before it smashed to the ground?

Homework Equations

Delta d = V1(delta t) + 1/2(a)(delta t^2)
Delta d = V2(delta t) - 1/2(a)(delta t^2)
V2 ^2 = V1^2+2(a)(delta d)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) part really confused me. I applied the first equation to find the distance:
d = 2.1m/s(3.0 seconds) +1/2(-9.81m/s^2 [down])(3.0^2)
d = 6.3 - 44.145
Now, unless she lives underground then I am clearly doing something wrong. If I were to apply the second equation, I would get a positive value but that only applies when there is a velocity final. This question has me completely stumped, I would like it if answerers could guide me through it by giving hints and not giving me the full answer.

For b part, I know that all I would need to apply is the third equation after finding the distance. But since the question states just before, would I use 2.9 as my change in time instead of 3.0 seconds which is when the pot hit the ground?

Thanks in advance for all the help. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is your origin? It seems that you have picked it at the point where she throws the flowerpot, i.e above ground. Therefore, it is no surprise that the flowerpot hits the ground below that point.

Last edited:
Draw a diagram of the scenario. Be sure to include your assumed coordinate system. You may be smarter than you think!

kuruman said:
Where is your origin? It seems that you have picked it at the point where she throws the flowerpot, i.e above ground. Therefore, it is no surprise that the flowerpot hits the ground below that point.

I think I know what I did wrong. I need to use the second equation and forgot one important equation: V2 = V1 + a(delta t).
V2 = 2.1m/s + (-9.81m/s^2)(3.0)
V2 = -27.33 m/s
Is this correct? If so, I can now find distance by using this equation:
Delta d = V2(delta t) - 1/2(a)(delta t^2)

gneill said:
Draw a diagram of the scenario. Be sure to include your assumed coordinate system. You may be smarter than you think!

I just think I forgot an important equation that I posted in my earlier one, but I'll definitely start drawing diagrams from now on. Thanks for the suggestion!

kuruman said:
Ah, I completely forgot about direction.

So, distance is: 6.3 - 44.145 = -37.85 m [down] which is also 37.85m[up], correct?

Just new to vectors, directions, etc. XD

the -37.8 is the displacement which has a direction but the height of the balcony is just a scalar so you don't put directions

madah12 said:
the -37.8 is the displacement which has a direction but the height of the balcony is just a scalar so you don't put directions

Really? I always thought displacement was the total distance traveled by the object. And since Marian was startled, she threw the pot in the air before it started falling, no? I have no idea how to find that distance, but after finding that we would that to the height of the balcony to find displacement?

My apologies if these observations seem noobish, I am self-teaching as I am doing the course online. >_<

the displacement is the just change of position independent of the path just where it was and it is now anything else doesn't matter.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is another kinematics problem?

Another kinematics problem could involve finding the displacement, velocity, or acceleration of an object given certain parameters, such as time, initial velocity, and acceleration.

3. How do you solve a kinematics problem?

To solve a kinematics problem, you will need to use equations of motion, such as the kinematic equations, which relate displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. You will also need to analyze the given information and determine which equations to use.

4. What are the units for kinematics?

The units for kinematics include meters (m) for displacement, meters per second (m/s) for velocity, and meters per second squared (m/s^2) for acceleration. Time is measured in seconds (s).

5. Can kinematics be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, kinematics can be applied to real-life situations such as calculating the speed of a car, the trajectory of a projectile, or the motion of a roller coaster. It is also used in fields such as engineering, robotics, and sports science.