Another radical question: oxidation limited by radicals

In summary, according to the research, an oxidation process is taking place, with the pollutants degradation correlating closely with the formation of radicals. However, in one case there are less radicals produced and there is no degradation. Furthermore, the OP lacks information about the length of time the reactions were run for, and the y-axis is not labeled.
rwooduk
I am seeing from my results that an oxidation process is taking place, the pollutants degradation correlates closely with the formation of radicals.

However, in one case there are less radicals produced and there is no degradation...

Picture1.png

I would like to ask if on occasions there must be a certain number of radicals to attack the pollutant? Or it is likely due to the change in conditions?

Thanks again for any help / ideas on this (!)

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 964
Chemistry news on Phys.org
First off, pollutants can be defined as a resource out of place. Some definitions place them as waste products.

So. Pollutants can be anyone or more of a vast array of molecules and mixtures. Many of which are resistant to chemical attack. Radicals are likewise inordinately diverse. Can you please be more specific?

As stated, I do not see how anyone can answer.

jim mcnamara said:
First off, pollutants can be defined as a resource out of place. Some definitions place them as waste products.

So. Pollutants can be anyone or more of a vast array of molecules and mixtures. Many of which are resistant to chemical attack. Radicals are likewise inordinately diverse. Can you please be more specific?

As stated, I do not see how anyone can answer.

Hmm, apologies if I was unclear. I'll use an analogy, which could potentially make things even more convoluted but here goes...

Imagine a small child was attacking a large group of men who are held in some type of defensive formation. 1 child would not cause any effect, nor would 2 children. However 100 children attacking the group of men would cause them to start to break apart, and once they start to break apart a further increase in children attacking them would cause them to break apart much more readily as the initial 'threshold' to breakage has been broken.

Is there a similar effect for radicals whereby a certain number are initially required to break apart the pollutant, and once that initial breakdown has occurred degradation occurs much more quickly with increase in the number of radicals (see graph in OP).

I noticed the reverse effect while trying to degrade phenol, if the concentration was too high no degradation occurred, at lower concentrations I was able to see some degradation. It's although the radicals weren't able to break the phenol unless the concentration was reduced significantly.

But yes, re-reading the question none of this makes sense really, apologies (!).

What you are asking 'Is there a model that portrays a minimum threshold concentration of one reagent before any reaction at all begins?'

Maybe @TeethWhitener or @Borek can help

Likes rwooduk
Well if you are taking about "ifs" then it is always "possible", but we always have to look at specific situation because chemical reactions of pollutants, which may contain variety of molecules, is not very simple...not to mention we are provided with no information on what oxidants were used.

Basically, the OP is lacking information for us to help you.

Likes jim mcnamara and rwooduk
HAYAO said:
Basically, the OP is lacking information for us to help you.
Yes. To start with, the y-axis isn't even labeled in OP. Also, no mention is made of the length of time for which these reactions were run. People can run across hot coals without getting burned, but you'd better believe they would get burned if they simply stood there.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. What is oxidation and how is it limited by radicals?

Oxidation is a chemical reaction that involves the loss of electrons by an atom or molecule. It is limited by radicals because radicals are highly reactive species that can initiate oxidation reactions by accepting or donating electrons.

2. How do radicals form and what role do they play in oxidation?

Radicals can form through various processes such as photolysis, thermal decomposition, and redox reactions. In oxidation, they act as intermediates that transfer electrons between reactants, ultimately leading to the oxidation of a substance.

3. Why is it important to consider the role of radicals in oxidation reactions?

Radicals play a crucial role in oxidation reactions as they can greatly influence the rate and outcome of the reaction. Understanding their behavior and limitations can help in designing more efficient and selective oxidation processes.

4. What factors can affect the rate of oxidation limited by radicals?

Several factors can influence the rate of oxidation limited by radicals, such as the concentration of reactants, temperature, pH, and the presence of catalysts. Controlling these factors can help in optimizing the rate and selectivity of the reaction.

5. How can we study oxidation limited by radicals in the laboratory?

There are various methods for studying oxidation reactions limited by radicals in the laboratory, such as spectroscopic techniques, electrochemical methods, and computational simulations. These techniques can provide valuable insights into the reaction mechanism and help in developing new oxidation strategies.