Ansoft Maxwell 15 Coil simulation

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Jonathan is a student of electrical engineering working on a project involving simulation in Maxwell 15. He is tasked with simulating a coil and a ball in the magnetic field of the coil to demonstrate magnetism. He has found some tutorials and is now able to create the coil and ball in the simulation, but is unsure about the accuracy of his coil, how to simulate the force on the ball, and how to visualize the magnetic field. He also wonders if there are any other factors he needs to consider for his simulation. As an experienced scientist, you provide guidance on these questions and offer assistance with the project.
flautzer
Hello!

I am a student of electrical engineering. I got assigned to a project where I need to simulate a coil in Maxwell 15 and a ball which floats in the magnetic field of the coil. This is for an experiment for demonstrating magnetsim, so my task is to find out what dimensions the coil needs to have and a visualization of the magnetic field it creates.

After there are nearly no tutorials, I found through the built-in help how to draw certain geometries. So what I have now is a coil and a ball, but the results when I simulate is just an amount of energy (magnetostatic).

I think for an experienced user this is not a hard thing to do, but I have never used the program before. So my questions are:

- Is my coil correct? It has a current excitation at the lowest point where the coil begins. The Ball is made of copper (0.5 mm thick ) on another inner ball (0.5 mm thick as well) made of some plastic, the inner rest is hollow (in the end this is a tabletennis covered with some metal).
- Do I need to apply some force to simulate the force which the coil would apply on the ball?
- How to get the visualization of the magnetic field?
- What else do i need?

A picture of my current state is attached.Thanks in advance for any help

Jonathan
coil.png

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello Jonathan,

It's great to hear that you are working on a project involving simulation in Maxwell 15. As a scientist with experience in electromagnetism and simulation software, I would be happy to help you with your questions.

Firstly, your coil appears to be correct. A current excitation at the lowest point of the coil is a common way to simulate a coil in Maxwell. However, to accurately determine the dimensions of the coil, you will need to consider factors such as the desired strength of the magnetic field and the material properties of the coil.

In order to simulate the force that the coil would apply on the ball, you will need to apply a force boundary condition in your simulation. This will allow you to see the movement of the ball in the magnetic field.

To visualize the magnetic field, you can use the "Field Plot" tool in Maxwell. This will allow you to see the strength and direction of the magnetic field in different regions of your simulation.

In addition to the coil and ball, you may also need to consider the properties of the surrounding environment, such as air or other materials, in your simulation.

I hope this helps you get started with your project. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your experiment!

1. What is Ansoft Maxwell 15 Coil simulation?

Ansoft Maxwell 15 Coil simulation is a software program used for electromagnetic field simulation and analysis. It allows users to design and optimize electromagnetic coils for various applications such as motors, generators, and transformers.

2. How does Ansoft Maxwell 15 Coil simulation work?

Ansoft Maxwell 15 Coil simulation uses finite element analysis (FEA) to solve Maxwell's equations and simulate the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It takes into account factors such as material properties, geometry, and boundary conditions to accurately model the behavior of coils.

3. What are the benefits of using Ansoft Maxwell 15 Coil simulation?

Using Ansoft Maxwell 15 Coil simulation can save time and resources in the design and optimization of electromagnetic coils. It allows for quick and accurate analysis of different design options, leading to improved performance and efficiency of the final product.

4. Can Ansoft Maxwell 15 Coil simulation be used for different types of coils?

Yes, Ansoft Maxwell 15 Coil simulation can be used for a variety of coil designs, including solenoids, toroids, and multi-layered coils. It also has features for simulating non-linear materials and complex 3D geometries.

5. Is Ansoft Maxwell 15 Coil simulation user-friendly?

Ansoft Maxwell 15 Coil simulation has a user-friendly interface and a variety of tutorials and resources available for new users. However, a basic understanding of electromagnetic principles and FEA is recommended for optimal use of the software.