Ansys Maxwell: Boundary definition

In summary, when simulating a Magnetostatic (3D) solution for a design with a coil embedded in a ceramic material developed by LTCC technology, it is important to define the material as 'Insulating' in order to accurately simulate the Magnetic flux density and inductance. There may be slight differences in B for AC and DC excitation, but this can be addressed by using a non-overlapping region for current excitation or using a different material for the ceramic LTCC. If you encounter errors such as an overlap between the current excitation and insulating material or the "mfSolver Failed" error, you can try adjusting the solver settings or changing the combination of materials.
Panacea
Hello,

I am trying to find a Magnetostatic(3D) solution for my design. My design consist of a coil embedded in Ceramic material developed by LTCC technology. I am below queries:
1. Is it important to define a material"Insulating"? How it will affect the Inductance of the system and the Magnetic flux density(B)? Is there a difference in B for AC and DC excitation (w.r.t. Maxwell Simulation)?
2.Since the coil is conducting and the ceramic insulting, i am getting error "Boundary 'Insulating1' and Excitation 'Current1' overlap."
2. If i don't mention LTCC as 'Insulating' in Boundary, i receive"mfSolver Failed" error or the simulation results are "nan".

Please help me with these errors. Thank you !

P.S: I have already set "material override" in design setting.

Engineering news on Phys.org
1. It is important to define the material as 'Insulating' in order to simulate the Magnetic flux density and inductance of your system accurately. The Magnetic flux density (B) for AC and DC excitation should be similar, however there may be slight differences due to the presence of eddy currents in the AC case.
2. The error could be due to an overlap between the current excitation and the insulating material. To fix this, you can try using a non-overlapping region for your current excitation. Alternatively, you can try using a different material for the ceramic LTCC, such as a dielectric material.
3. If you are receiving the "mfSolver Failed" error, it might be due to an instability in the solver caused by the combination of materials you have defined. You can try changing the solver settings or the combination of materials you are using.

What is "Ansys Maxwell"?

Ansys Maxwell is a software program used for electromagnetic field simulation. It is designed to help engineers and scientists analyze and optimize the performance of electromagnetic and electromechanical devices.

What is meant by "boundary definition" in Ansys Maxwell?

Boundary definition in Ansys Maxwell refers to the process of defining the boundaries of a simulation model. These boundaries represent the physical boundaries of the device or system being analyzed and help to determine the behavior of the electromagnetic fields within the model.

Why is boundary definition important in Ansys Maxwell?

Boundary definition is important in Ansys Maxwell because it helps to accurately simulate the behavior of electromagnetic fields within a device or system. By defining the boundaries, the software can accurately model the behavior of the electromagnetic fields and provide useful insights for optimization and design purposes.

What are the different types of boundaries that can be defined in Ansys Maxwell?

There are several types of boundaries that can be defined in Ansys Maxwell, including perfect electric conductor (PEC) boundaries, perfect magnetic conductor (PMC) boundaries, and radiation boundaries. These boundaries help to simulate different aspects of the electromagnetic field behavior within a device or system.

How do you define boundaries in Ansys Maxwell?

Boundaries can be defined in Ansys Maxwell by using the software's graphical user interface (GUI) or by using the program's scripting language, APDL (ANSYS Parametric Design Language). The GUI allows for a more visual and intuitive approach to defining boundaries, while APDL offers more flexibility and customization options for advanced users.