Answer Limits of a Function: Proving c ≠ 0 & No Limit at x→0

• Thread starter amilapsn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary: Thanks for helping me, @Dick.## \forall c\in [1,\infty)\backslash\{1\} \ \delta=inf(\{|c-\frac{1}{n}|: n \in Z^+\})=c-1##.If ##c=1 \Rightarrow \delta=inf(\{|1-\frac{1}{n}|: n \in Z^+\})=inf(\{0: n \in Z^+\})=0##.But ##\delta=0## is not allowed. So, we need to deal with the case ##c=1## separately.##\forall c\in [1,\infty)\backslash\{1\} \ \
amilapsn
Let ## f(x)=\begin{cases}1 &if \ x=\frac{1}{n} \ where \ n\epsilon \mathbb{Z}^{+}\\
0 & \mbox{otherwise}\end{cases}##
(i) Show that ##c\neq 0## then ##\lim_{x \to c}f(x)=0##

(ii) Show that ##\lim_{x \to 0}f(x)## does not exist.
I attempted to answer the question:

I think we have to show that:

##c\neq 0 \Rightarrow \lim_{x \to c}f(x)=0##

We know that,

##c\neq 0 \Leftrightarrow |c|>0##

##\lim_{x \to c}f(x)=0## means: ##\forall \epsilon>0 \ \exists \delta \ s.t. \forall x\epsilon \mathbb{R}##

##0<|x-c|<\delta \Rightarrow |f(x)|<\epsilon##

But I don't understand how to develop the proof any further... I think the question should begin with the statement: ##c\neq 0##
Please help me.
I have thought something of proving the first part but it's seems impossible to prove the second part.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##
0<|x-c|<\delta \Rightarrow |f(x)|<\epsilon
## looks good. Especially that the first ##<## isn't a ##\le## (which it indeed isn't, fortunately). So thos ##f## are 0 and for sure ##<\epsilon##

But I seem to remember that "##
\lim_{x \to c}f(x)=0
## exists" means a little bit more than you state, namely something with ##f(c)## ... If you have that, you have part b too.

[edit] all wrong (see below). Whole post withdrawn. Sorry folks ! o:)

Last edited:
amilapsn said:
Let ## f(x)=\begin{cases}1 &if \ x=\frac{1}{n} \ where \ n\epsilon \mathbb{Z}^{+}\\
0 & \mbox{otherwise}\end{cases}##
(i) Show that ##c\neq 0## then ##\lim_{x \to c}f(x)=0##

(ii) Show that ##\lim_{x \to 0}f(x)## does not exist.
I attempted to answer the question:

I think we have to show that:

##c\neq 0 \Rightarrow \lim_{x \to c}f(x)=0##

We know that,

##c\neq 0 \Leftrightarrow |c|>0##

##\lim_{x \to c}f(x)=0## means: ##\forall \epsilon>0 \ \exists \delta \ s.t. \forall x\epsilon \mathbb{R}##

##0<|x-c|<\delta \Rightarrow |f(x)|<\epsilon##

But I don't understand how to develop the proof any further... I think the question should begin with the statement: ##c\neq 0##
Please help me.
I have thought something of proving the first part but it's seems impossible to prove the second part.

Just try drawing a picture. ##0<|x-c|<\delta## means every point in an interval around ##c## except for ##c##. If ##c \ne 0## then you can make an interval small enough that you don't include any of the points of the form ##1/n##, except possibly ##c##. If ##c=0## then you can't, since ##1/n## can be made as close as you like to 0.

Likes amilapsn
Thank you for the advice @Dick. The drawing makes sense, but, I don't know the way to prove the 1st part rigorously. Would the proof look like follows:
##0<|x-c|<\delta \Leftrightarrow x\in (c-\delta,c+\delta)\backslash \{c\}##
##c\neq 0 \Rightarrow x\in (c-\delta,c+\delta)\backslash \{c\}\mbox{ where the interval does not include any value in the form of $\frac{1}{n}$}##...

Last edited:
amilapsn said:
Thank you for the advice @Dick. The drawing makes sense, but, I don't know the way to prove the 1st part rigorously. Would the proof look like follows:
##0<|x-c|<\delta \Leftrightarrow x\in (c-\delta,c+\delta)\backslash \{c\}##
##c\neq 0 \Rightarrow x\in (c-\delta,c+\delta)\backslash \{c\}\mbox{ where the interval does not include any value in the form of $\frac{1}{n}$}##...

You need to say what the value of ##\delta## is. If ##c \ne 0## doesn't have the form ##\frac{1}{n_0}## where ##n_0 \in Z^+## then you can just pick ##\delta=inf(\{|c-\frac{1}{n}|: n \in Z^+\})##. Right? That will be nonzero, yes? What if it does?

Likes amilapsn
BvU said:
##
0<|x-c|<\delta \Rightarrow |f(x)|<\epsilon
## looks good. Especially that the first ##<## isn't a ##\le## (which it indeed isn't, fortunately). So thos ##f## are 0 and for sure ##<\epsilon##

But I seem to remember that "##
\lim_{x \to c}f(x)=0
## exists" means a little bit more than you state, namely something with ##f(c)## ... If you have that, you have part b too.

I'm not sure what you are attempting to say here, but it sounds wrong. You can have a perfectly good ##\lim_{x \to c} f(x)## even if ##f(c)## does not exist---that is, if you are speaking of functions in general, rather than the specific ##f(x)## in the question.

Oops, I am all wrong here. Didn't look at the function close enough. Thanks for noticing.

Dick said:
You need to say what the value of ##\delta## is. If ##c \ne 0## doesn't have the form ##\frac{1}{n_0}## where ##n_0 \in Z^+## then you can just pick ##\delta=inf(\{|c-\frac{1}{n}|: n \in Z^+\})##. Right? That will be nonzero, yes? What if it does?
##\forall c\in [1,\infty)\ \delta=inf(\{|c-\frac{1}{n}|: n \in Z^+\})=c-1## .
Thus, when ##c=1, \delta## will be ##0##. But ##\delta## cannot be ##0##, right? To avoid this issue, I think, we should account for the case of ##c=1## separately, by choosing ## \delta=\frac{1}{3}## or some other value so that the interval ##(1-\delta,1+\delta)\backslash\{1\}## will not include values in the form of ##\frac{1}{n}##. Right? Please, correct me if I am wrong.
:smile:

Thank you again @Dick..

P.S. I have a great need of a good textbook on real analysis including good problems. Would you kindly suggest me one?
(Please, pardon me if I bother you.)

amilapsn said:
##\forall c\in [1,\infty)\ \delta=inf(\{|c-\frac{1}{n}|: n \in Z^+\})=c-1## .
Thus, when ##c=1, \delta## will be ##0##. But ##\delta## cannot be ##0##, right? To avoid this issue, I think, we should account for the case of ##c=1## separately, by choosing ## \delta=\frac{1}{3}## or some other value so that the interval ##(1-\delta,1+\delta)\backslash\{1\}## will not include values in the form of ##\frac{1}{n}##. Right? Please, correct me if I am wrong.
:smile:

Thank you again @Dick..
P.S. I have a great need of a good textbook on real analysis including good problems. Would you kindly suggest me one?
(Please, pardon me if I bother you.)

You've got the right idea. You want to choose an interval around c that doesn't include any values of the form 1/n except for possibly c itself. But you need to say something about other cases besides c in ##[1,\infty)##, yes? And that leads you to saying why there is no limit at c=0. I don't know very many real analysis books. I used Rudin and I liked it. Depends on your taste. You might ask over the "Science and Math Textbooks" forum. I'm sure you get a ton of opinions.

For any other c value except 0, we are able to find a ##\delta ## value. But for c=0, ##\delta=inf(\{|c-\frac{1}{n}|:n\in \mathbb{Z}^+\})=0## But this can't happen. But for any other ##\delta>0## value there will be a ##x_0## value in the form of ##\frac{1}{n}## . Would the above statements be sufficient to conclude that ##c\ne 0\Rightarrow \lim_{x\to c}f(x)=0## ?

p.s.
I think by slightly changing the definition of ##\delta## we can reduce the number of cases we have to consider.
##\delta=inf(\{|c-\frac{1}{n}|:n\in \mathbb{Z}^+\}\backslash \{0\})## . (Is it okay to change the definition like that?)

For the case of ##c=0## , there won't be a ##\delta## , because, the set ##\{|c-\frac{1}{n}|:n\in \mathbb{Z}^+\}\backslash \{0\}## will be ##\emptyset ## . So for any other value except 0 for c, will give us a ##\delta## value which is the result in part (i)

amilapsn said:
For any other c value except 0, we are able to find a ##\delta ## value. But for c=0, ##\delta=inf(\{|c-\frac{1}{n}|:n\in \mathbb{Z}^+\})=0## But this can't happen. But for any other ##\delta>0## value there will be a ##x_0## value in the form of ##\frac{1}{n}## . Would the above statements be sufficient to conclude that ##c\ne 0\Rightarrow \lim_{x\to c}f(x)=0## ?

p.s.
I think by slightly changing the definition of ##\delta## we can reduce the number of cases we have to consider.
##\delta=inf(\{|c-\frac{1}{n}|:n\in \mathbb{Z}^+\}\backslash \{0\})## . (Is it okay to change the definition like that?)

For the case of ##c=0## , there won't be a ##\delta## , because, the set ##\{|c-\frac{1}{n}|:n\in \mathbb{Z}^+\}\backslash \{0\}## will be ##\emptyset ## . So for any other value except 0 for c, will give us a ##\delta## value which is the result in part (i)

I know you have the right idea. The mathematical expressions you are using don't do it justice. Just use words to express what you mean. THEN try and translate it into set notation.

OK. Thanks... I'll try... :-|

1. What is the definition of a limit of a function?

The limit of a function is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value or point. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches as its input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

2. How is the limit of a function denoted?

The limit of a function is denoted by the symbol "lim" followed by the function, its input variable, and the value the input is approaching. For example, the limit of a function f(x) as x approaches a is written as limx→a f(x).

3. What does it mean when c ≠ 0 in the context of a limit of a function?

When c ≠ 0, it means that the input value is approaching a non-zero value. This can be interpreted as the function having a defined limit at that point, as the function is approaching a specific value as its input gets closer to a certain point.

4. Can a function have a limit at x=0?

Yes, a function can have a limit at x=0. However, this is not always the case. It depends on the behavior of the function as x approaches 0. If the function approaches a specific value as x gets closer to 0, then it has a limit at x=0. If the function approaches different values from the left and right sides of x=0, then the limit does not exist.

5. How can you prove that a function has no limit at x=0?

To prove that a function has no limit at x=0, you can use the definition of a limit and show that the function approaches different values from the left and right sides of x=0. This can also be done by finding a sequence of input values that approach 0, but the corresponding output values do not approach a specific value.