Answer: Proving Sums with De Moivre's Theorem

• Thread starter rock.freak667
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
Note, though, that this is a rather old thread, so many of the participants may not be active any longer.)
rock.freak667
Homework Helper
Using De Moivre's theorem to prove the sum of a series

Homework Statement

Write down an expression in terms of z and N for the sum of the series:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^N 2^{-n} z^n[/tex]

Use De Moivre's theorem to deduce that

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{10} 2^{-n} \sin(\frac{1}{10}n\pi)[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1025\sin(\frac{1}{10}\pi)}{2560-2048\cos(\frac{1}{10}\pi)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] e^{in\theta}=(\cos{\theta}+i\sin{\theta})^n = \cos{n\theta}+i\sin{n\theta}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To find a sum for the series it is a GP with first term,[tex]a=2^{-1}z[/tex] common ration,[tex]r=2^{-1}z[/tex]
then [tex]S_N = \frac{2^{-1}z(1-(2^{-1}z)^{N})}{1-2^{-1}z}[/tex]

For the second part I was thinking to just replace [tex]z^n[/tex] with [tex]\sin(\frac{1}{10}n\pi)[/tex] would that work?(NOTE:Also, even though I think I typed the LATEX thing correctly it doesn't display what i actually typed when i previewed the post, so if something looks weird please check if I typed it correctly,such as
\frac{1025\sin(\frac{1}{10}\pi)}{2560-2048\cos(\frac{1}{10}\pi) appears as [tex]a^3<-9b-3c-3[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're missing a } at the end. EDIT:Not anymore.

Suggestion. [itex]z=e^{i\pi/10} [/itex].

LATER EDIT: Yes, it's already visible in post #1.

Last edited:
ah...strange things appear in my browser...[itex]z=e^{i\pi/10} [/itex]...so simple...shall try it now

rock.freak667 said:
ah...strange things appear in my browser...[itex]z=e^{i\pi/10} [/itex]...so simple...shall try it now
Did u get the answer...can u post the solution...

Even if the OP found the answer (almost 4 years ago!), if you need help with the same question, he can't just post the solution. That would be against forum rules. YOU need to post your attempt FIRST, and then maybe we can help.

1. What is De Moivre's Theorem?

De Moivre's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that allows us to find the powers of complex numbers. It states that for any complex number z and integer n, the nth power of z can be written as (cos θ + i sin θ)n, where θ is the argument (or angle) of z.

2. How can De Moivre's Theorem be used to prove sums?

De Moivre's Theorem can be used to prove sums by expressing complex numbers in polar form and using the theorem to manipulate and simplify them. This allows us to find the sum of a series of complex numbers without having to perform a large number of tedious calculations.

3. What are the steps involved in proving sums with De Moivre's Theorem?

The steps involved in proving sums with De Moivre's Theorem are as follows:
1. Express the complex numbers in polar form.
2. Use De Moivre's Theorem to expand the powers of each term.
3. Simplify the resulting expression using trigonometric identities.
4. Group the real and imaginary terms and simplify further.
5. Use the formula for the sum of a geometric series to find the final sum.

4. Can De Moivre's Theorem be used to prove sums of any type of complex numbers?

Yes, De Moivre's Theorem can be used to prove sums of any type of complex numbers, as long as they can be expressed in polar form. This includes sums of real numbers, imaginary numbers, and complex numbers with both real and imaginary components.

5. What are the applications of proving sums with De Moivre's Theorem?

Proving sums with De Moivre's Theorem has various applications in mathematics and other fields. It can be used to simplify calculations in complex analysis, signal processing, and electrical engineering. It is also helpful in finding solutions to differential equations and in analyzing periodic phenomena in physics and engineering.