Ansys 2D Workbench Simulation: Symmetry & Convergence

In summary, the conversation discusses a 2D Ansys workbench simulation which includes a nonlinear simulation with frictionless contact. By utilizing the symmetry option, the computation time was reduced and the simulation was successful in converging. However, when attempting to simulate the whole body, it consistently fails. The speaker is questioning whether this is strange because they believed the symmetry only affected computation time, not convergence. The other person suggests that the symmetry condition may also simplify boundary conditions and advises the speaker to carefully examine their boundary conditions for the full model to ensure they accurately reflect those of the symmetric loading case.
Mohamed_Wael
I am doing a 2D Ansys workbench simulation ,it is nonlinear simulation due to frictionless contact, there is symmetry in the shape so I used the symmetry option to reduce the computation time and it succeeded to converge after that I tried the simulation of the whole body but it always fails ! I think this is strange because as far as I know the symmetry only reduces the computation time and has nothing to do with the convergence, Am I mistaken ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The symmetry condition may also simplify your boundary conditions, because deformation results also have to be symmetric. You should take a hard look at your boundary conditions for the full model and make sure they correctly replicate the boundary conditions of your symmetric loading case.

1. What is Ansys 2D Workbench Simulation?

Ansys 2D Workbench Simulation is a software tool used for simulating and analyzing engineering systems and structures in a virtual environment. It uses finite element analysis (FEA) to solve complex structural, thermal, and fluid flow problems.

2. How does symmetry play a role in Ansys 2D Workbench Simulation?

Symmetry is an important concept in Ansys 2D Workbench Simulation as it allows for the simulation of only a portion of a larger structure, reducing the computational time and resources required. This is especially useful for models with geometric symmetries, such as a circular or rectangular shape.

3. What is convergence and why is it important in Ansys 2D Workbench Simulation?

Convergence refers to the process of reducing the error between the approximate solution and the true solution in a numerical analysis. In Ansys 2D Workbench Simulation, convergence is important as it ensures that the results obtained from the simulation are accurate and reliable.

4. How can I ensure that my Ansys 2D Workbench Simulation is converging?

To ensure convergence in Ansys 2D Workbench Simulation, it is important to carefully select appropriate element types, mesh sizes, and solution settings. It is also necessary to monitor the solution process and make adjustments as needed to ensure convergence is achieved.

5. Can Ansys 2D Workbench Simulation be used for all types of engineering simulations?

No, Ansys 2D Workbench Simulation is primarily used for structural, thermal, and fluid flow simulations. It may not be suitable for other types of engineering simulations, such as electrical or electromagnetic analyses.