Measuring relative rotation of node - ANSYS WorkBench

In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to track the rotation of an element on the outer ring of a 2D annulus in WorkBench. The individual is seeking help as they have been unable to find a solution online. The expert suggests checking the user manual or support forum for specific tools, and also mentions using the "probe" function or a scripting language like Python to automate the process. The expert wishes the individual luck with their analysis and encourages them to ask any further questions if needed.
Sirsh
Hi all,

I have a rather trivial issue I am trying to solve, but it seems like there isn't anything available online that I can find to help me.

For this question, imagine I have a 2D annulus with a fixed inner ring and frictionless outer ring. I apply a moment to the outer ring and create distortion in the annulus.

What I want to find is the rotation of any element on the outer ring with respect to the centre of the annulus or any node on the fixed ring in the centre. Is this possible to do in WorkBench? As my only idea was to possible manually ID the nodes and then output the positions over time, but I'm not too sure how to do this as yet.

Any help would be appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. I have experience with using WorkBench for various simulations and analyses. From my understanding of your question, it seems like you are looking for a way to track the rotation of an element on the outer ring of your 2D annulus.

Firstly, I would recommend checking the user manual or support forum for WorkBench to see if there are any specific tools or features that can help with this task. If you are unable to find a solution within WorkBench, there are a couple of approaches you can try.

One option is to use the "probe" function in WorkBench. This allows you to select specific nodes or elements and track their displacement, rotation, and other properties over time. You can then export this data and analyze it to find the rotation of the element on the outer ring with respect to the center.

Another option is to use a scripting language like Python to automate the process of identifying nodes and tracking their rotation. This may be a more efficient approach if you have a large number of nodes to track.

I hope this helps and that you are able to find a solution that works for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your analysis!

1. What is the purpose of measuring relative rotation of a node in ANSYS Workbench?

The purpose of measuring relative rotation of a node in ANSYS Workbench is to understand the behavior and deformation of a structure under different loading conditions. This measurement can help determine the stress and strain levels at specific points of the structure, which can be used to optimize its design and ensure its safety and reliability.

2. How is the relative rotation of a node calculated in ANSYS Workbench?

The relative rotation of a node in ANSYS Workbench is calculated by comparing its displacement and orientation in relation to a reference node. This can be done by defining the reference node and selecting the appropriate output options in the solution settings.

3. Can relative rotation be measured in all types of structures using ANSYS Workbench?

Yes, ANSYS Workbench allows for the measurement of relative rotation in all types of structures, including beams, plates, shells, and solid elements. However, the method of measurement may differ depending on the type of structure and its loading conditions.

4. Is there a limit to the number of nodes that can be measured for relative rotation in ANSYS Workbench?

There is no specific limit to the number of nodes that can be measured for relative rotation in ANSYS Workbench. However, it is important to consider the computational resources and time required to analyze a large number of nodes.

5. How can the results of relative rotation measurements in ANSYS Workbench be interpreted?

The results of relative rotation measurements in ANSYS Workbench can be interpreted by comparing them to the expected behavior of the structure based on its design and loading conditions. This can help identify any areas of concern, such as excessive rotation or stress concentrations, and guide the design optimization process.