Threaded connection's initial contact modelling using ANSYS workbench

In summary: You can't initially have a gap between the threads because that would be simulation of an over-sized thread being forced into an undersized one - the threads would not line up properly. Instead, you should model the interference by moving one of the parts axially so that the contact region is on only one flank of the thread faces.
Pakhoz
Hi everyone! I am doing a simulation of threaded connection in ANSYS workbench and have some problem.

In this 2D model, the initial make-up is modeled by setting an "initial overlap" (shown in figure 1).

This is how I did:
- The initial contact between pin and box as "frictional" with coefficient of friction 0.03. Formulation used is Augmented Lagrange. With interface treatment: offset (ramped) 0.08 inch.

The other constraints/ loadings:
- The upper part (box) is restricted by "frictionless support" on its edge on the right to ensure it can't move along x direction

- The lower part (pin) is restricted by "frictionless support" on its bottom edge to ensure it moves only along x direction.

- A pressure load is added on the left edge of the pin.

My question:
Is the way I address the initial contact right ? How can I get the stress induced by this initial contact ? And why this model is always not convergent ? Can anybody give me some advice?

Thank you for your suggestions.

- Pakho Cheng

Attachments

• overlap.png
    overlap.png
    6 KB · Views: 869
  • thread.png
    thread.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 724
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think this is a good representation of a threaded connection; in reality the model should have an initial gap between the threads, and then you should move one of the parts axially to create a connection on one side of the thread faces.

Your current model basically assumes an oversized thread being forced into an underiszed one, but the initial geometry interference you have cannot be solved because you need to start with no interference and then slowly introduce the interference over some time steps.

Mech_Engineer said:
I don't think this is a good representation of a threaded connection; in reality the model should have an initial gap between the threads, and then you should move one of the parts axially to create a connection on one side of the thread faces.

Your current model basically assumes an oversized thread being forced into an underiszed one, but the initial geometry interference you have cannot be solved because you need to start with no interference and then slowly introduce the interference over some time steps.

Thank you for your reply.

Instead of making an initial gap between the threads, can I develop these two surface bodies initially contact with each other with no interference, and then give the pin a y-direction displacement equal to the "initial gap" to model the interference?

Because I think when the two parts are at make-up situation, both the flanks of each thread will have contact. If you move one of the parts axially to make them contact, the contact region is probably on only one flank of the thread?

If what I say makes sense, how can I introduce the interference slowly over some time steps as you say?

Thanks.

P.C

1. What is the purpose of modelling threaded connections in ANSYS Workbench?

The purpose of modelling threaded connections in ANSYS Workbench is to simulate the initial contact behavior between threaded components. This helps engineers and designers to understand the behavior of threaded connections under different loading and environmental conditions, and optimize the design accordingly.

2. What type of analysis can be performed on threaded connections in ANSYS Workbench?

ANSYS Workbench allows for both linear and nonlinear analysis of threaded connections. Linear analysis is suitable for simple threaded connections with small displacements, while nonlinear analysis is necessary for more complex threaded connections with large displacements and material nonlinearity.

3. What are the important parameters to consider when modelling threaded connections in ANSYS Workbench?

The important parameters to consider when modelling threaded connections in ANSYS Workbench include the geometry of the threads, thread engagement length, thread pitch, material properties of the threaded components, and the type of loading and boundary conditions applied.

4. Can ANSYS Workbench accurately predict the behavior of threaded connections?

Yes, ANSYS Workbench has advanced contact algorithms and material models that can accurately predict the behavior of threaded connections. However, it is important to validate the results with physical testing to ensure the accuracy of the simulation.

5. Are there any limitations when modelling threaded connections in ANSYS Workbench?

There are some limitations when modelling threaded connections in ANSYS Workbench, such as the assumption of perfect threads and the inability to capture the effects of thread imperfections or thread damage. Additionally, ANSYS Workbench may not be suitable for highly specialized threaded connections, such as those used in aerospace or medical applications.