ANSYS & Dentistry: Tutorials & Help

• Thread starter vladanea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ansys
In summary, ANSYS can be used in the engineering design of dentistry tools, but it is not generally used in dentistry itself. It can be used to create a solid model of a tooth, but more complicated modeling would be required. Additionally, material properties for a tooth would be difficult to model and would involve a lot of trial and error.
vladanea
Can anybody help me please to find some tutorials about how can be used ANSYS in dentistry or something related with? Please help me if you can! Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
IIRC dentists are the tooth-doctors right?

Um...critical speed of the drill?

Do you guys get a lot of stress/strain related problems in dentistry?

Maybe problems of beams on elastic foundations?

vladanea said:
Can anybody help me please to find some tutorials about how can be used ANSYS in dentistry or something related with? Please help me if you can! Thank you!

Thyere are no "tutorials" covering the topic you are looking for (it seems poorly defined anyway). Generally ANSYS can't really be used in dentistry; but it can be used in the engineering design of dentistry tools.

You're going to have to refine your question significantly before we can help you.

Generally ANSYS can't really be used in dentistry; but it can be used in the engineering design of dentistry tools.

Dear Mech_Engineer, you mean that with ANSYS I can't create something to look like a tooth and with ANSYS to apply one or more forces on it?

And if I have to
refine your question
, I would say that I am not experienced with this software and I'd like to learn more about how can I create different shapes (2D and 3D) (which to look like a tooth!), how can I make such a shape to look realistic and so on. I hope you understand me this time and I hope you can advise me now:)

Thank you all of you!

vladanea said:
Dear Mech_Engineer, you mean that with ANSYS I can't create something to look like a tooth and with ANSYS to apply one or more forces on it?

"Dentistry is the known evaluation, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases, disorders and conditions of the oral cavity, maxillofacial area and the adjacent and associated structures and their impact on the human body."

With this definition of dentistry in mind, ANSYS is pretty much useless in the general practice of dentistry; however, it is commonly used in the fields of biomechanics and biomedical engineering (which I get the feeling is more what you're after). To answer your question, ANSYS is of course able to take a solid model of a tooth for example and apply forces to it and calculate stresses (assuming you have accurate models of the tooth's constituent components). Making a structural model of a tooth is possibly less straightforward than you might think, but it is possible.

Creating a solid model of a tooth in ANSYS would be a difficult thing to do I suspect, mainly because it's solid modeling capabilities are somwhat limited. however if you were able to make a model of a tooth in another program more well-suited to the task (or possibly import a 3-d scan of an actual tooth, ANSYS could certainly import the model and do a structural analysis of it.

vladanea said:
And if I have to , I would say that I am not experienced with this software and I'd like to learn more about how can I create different shapes (2D and 3D) (which to look like a tooth!), how can I make such a shape to look realistic and so on. I hope you understand me this time and I hope you can advise me now:)

Well, ANSYS makes a somewhat simplistic CAD software solution called DesignModeler which can be used to make simple CAD models; but its features are somewhat limited and it doesn't have the advance surface spline manipulation tools that a package like SolidWorks has. So, I would say that your best bet is either to find a 3-D scan of a tooth you can import into ANSYS, of find a CAD package that has more powerful geometry tools that can be used to manually model a tooth.

Another problem with modeling the tooth, would be how your constrain it and apply material properties to it... You couldn't really use a fixed condition at the root because the tooth is rooted in soft tissue and bone. Additionally, you would have to decide how you wanted to model the biting force on the top of the tooth, either with a pressure over an area or a point load. The material properties of the tooth would be difficult because the tooth has a hollow fleshy center and a hard outer layer of enamel. How this was modeled, and what the material properties of those parts are would play a significant role in your model.

I have actually modeled teeth in ANSYS. However, the geometry was created using a laser scanner and I had to import the stl file into ICEM in order to mesh it. Then import the mesh into ANSYS Mechanical in order to load it. It was very difficult. If you are a newbie to ANSYS, then I suggest you get some help. I have been building ANSYS models for about 5 years and this was the hardest one I ever had to do.

Also, when using scanned stl geometry, there can be a lot of repair work needed on the geometry before a mesh can be generated and that was why I had to use ICEM.

Dear CFDFEAGURU, can you help me please with such a source file created in ansys for a tooth? I am trying to prepare myself for a Ph.D. in dentistry and I really have no time to learn how to create something like that right now! Maybe we can collaborate in publishing a scientific paper if you are interested? Or, maybe we can talk more through email or yahoo messenger or anything you want? My email address is vladanea@gmail.com.

And for Mech_Engineer I have to thank you for your last post! Maybe you can help me too with this problem of mine? :)

Vlad

Sorry for the slow response, but I wouldn't be able to help you with this. That analysis was very difficult and more people than just I worked on it. Also, I don't have access to the ICEM meshing software that I used to do this with.

Sorry

Matt

Related to ANSYS & Dentistry: Tutorials & Help

1. What is ANSYS and how is it related to dentistry?

ANSYS is a software used for engineering simulation and analysis. It is frequently used in the field of dentistry to simulate and analyze various dental procedures and treatments, such as orthodontic treatments, implant placements, and prosthodontics.

2. Can ANSYS be used for designing dental restorations?

Yes, ANSYS can be used to design and simulate dental restorations such as crowns, bridges, and dentures. It allows dentists and engineers to test the strength, durability, and fit of these restorations before they are fabricated.

3. Are there any tutorials available for using ANSYS in dentistry?

Yes, there are many tutorials available for using ANSYS in dentistry. These tutorials cover various topics such as modeling teeth and surrounding tissues, simulating dental procedures, and analyzing stress and strain on dental restorations.

4. Is ANSYS difficult to learn for dentists without an engineering background?

ANSYS can be complex and may require some time to learn, especially for those without an engineering background. However, there are specific tutorials and resources available that are tailored for dentists, making it easier for them to learn and use ANSYS for their specific needs.

5. Can ANSYS help with improving the design of dental implants?

Yes, ANSYS is commonly used in dentistry to improve the design of dental implants. It allows for the simulation of different implant sizes and positions, as well as the analysis of stress and strain on the surrounding bone and tissues, to ensure the best possible outcome for the patient.