Ansys Maxwell error when moving a magnetic core and a copper cylinder with a hole

Valentin1999
Hello.
I have a magnetic core and a copper cylinder with a hole. I ask the cylinder to rotate and the magnet to move from left to right. I want to calculate Foucault currents in a copper cylinder, but an error appears.
"Failture in handing multiply connected region to eddy current. 1. Band definition. 2. Moving object in the band should be wrapped by a container object"
I Need a help.
IMG_20231019_115412.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Were you able to figure this error out yet?

Can you post a screenshot of the geometry and the movement? I'm not able to tie your description of the geometry to the figure that I see on your screen...

1. What causes the "Invalid Geometry Operation" error in Ansys Maxwell when moving a magnetic core and a copper cylinder with a hole?

This error typically occurs when the movement of the objects results in an invalid or non-manifold geometry. In Ansys Maxwell, every part of the simulation geometry must be well-defined and physically meaningful. Moving the magnetic core and the copper cylinder such that they intersect improperly or create extremely small gaps that cannot be meshed might lead to this error. Ensure that the movement does not cause overlapping or extremely close positioning that the mesh generator cannot handle.

2. Why do I receive a "Negative Volume Detected" error during simulation?

The "Negative Volume Detected" error usually arises when the parts of the model undergo transformations that invert their geometry, such as excessive scaling or rotation, leading to physically impossible configurations. This could happen if the magnetic core or the copper cylinder is moved or rotated in a way that the resulting geometry has parts that overlap in a manner that creates negative volume spaces. Check and adjust the movement parameters to ensure all parts maintain a positive, realistic configuration.

3. How can I resolve meshing issues when moving a magnetic core inside a copper cylinder with a hole?

Meshing issues in this scenario are often due to either too small features being created by the movement, or poor quality of the initial geometry. To resolve this, first, ensure that the geometry is clean and robust without small slivers or gaps. You can use the "Check Geometry" tool in Ansys Maxwell to identify problematic areas. Adjust the mesh settings, such as decreasing the element size, increasing the tolerance, or refining the mesh near the moving parts, to accommodate the changes in the geometry.

4. What should I check if the simulation fails after modifying the position of the magnetic core relative to the copper cylinder?

If the simulation fails after repositioning the magnetic core, it is crucial to check the boundary conditions and the physical contact points between the core and the cylinder. Ensure that the boundary conditions still correctly represent the physical scenario after the movement. Also, verify that there is no unintentional contact or gap that could affect the electromagnetic fields and forces being simulated. Re-evaluate the setup of material properties, especially if the relative movement might have introduced air gaps or contact resistances not previously accounted for.

5. How can I optimize the movement of a magnetic core and a copper cylinder with a hole to prevent simulation errors?

To optimize the movement and prevent errors, start by carefully planning the motion path and checking the feasibility of each step using the preview or geometry checking tools available in Ansys Maxwell. Consider implementing smaller incremental movements and running interim simulations to observe the effects at each stage. Utilize parametric analysis to systematically vary the position and analyze the outcomes. This approach helps in identifying threshold values beyond which the simulation might fail, allowing for adjustments before running the full simulation.