Ansys Maxwell Query: Error "current leak to the air"

In summary,1. It is normal for ANSYS to continue running even if there are errors.2. The simulation can take a long time to finish if there are many coils in the simulation.
M Umair Wali
how the error "current leak to the air" in the Ansys Maxwell can be removed? although there is no error in the validation process

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you post a screenshot of your simulation showing the error? You can use the UPLOAD button in the lower right of the Edit window to add an attachment (PDF or JPEG) to your post. Thank you.

Has your model developed a E field gradient that exceeds the dielectric strength of air?

the simulation does not appear and the error is appeared in the message center. can you share the mail so that i can send the screen shot...i am unable to upload the images here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Wali, I am facing the same issue on my project. Did you find a solution to this problem?

I am also facing the Error "current leak to the air" on my project. Did anyone find a solution to this problem?

MohammadKafi said:
I am also facing the Error "current leak to the air" on my project. Did anyone find a solution to this problem?
Hey, update: I solved my problem by changing the Mesh method to "classic" and increasing the resolution enough so that there would be no meshing errors.

Likes MohammadKafi
coin15 said:
Hey, update: I solved my problem by changing the Mesh method to "classic" and increasing the resolution enough so that there would be no meshing errors.
Thank you so much

Hi guys . if this problem solved by changing mesh it is ok. but sometime it is because of conduction path. if the coil does not have a closed circuit path or it has a crack on the path, this error occurs. so first click on the coil object and check the conduction path . if the problem solved it is good if not or more help was needed reply this message. I don't know if sharing email is a allowed thing or not. I don't mind but I think admins will restrict it.

zand10000 said:
Hi guys . if this problem solved by changing mesh it is ok. but sometime it is because of conduction path. if the coil does not have a closed circuit path or it has a crack on the path, this error occurs. so first click on the coil object and check the conduction path . if the problem solved it is good if not or more help was needed reply this message. I don't know if sharing email is a allowed thing or not. I don't mind but I think admins will restrict it.
moreover if you have long conductor that gets in and out to the region, it MUST has a full cross section to the region on both sides

Likes MohammadKafi
zand10000 said:
moreover if you have long conductor that gets in and out to the region, it MUST has a full cross section to the region on both sides
Hi Zand10000,
Thank you so much for your reply and also good information.
I chose the cross section of conductor same to region, but still it had problem . With changing the initial mesh setting to classic, now it has no problem.

Sorry, guys,

I am new to the Ansys electronics desktop and want to simulate the wireless power transferring between two coils. I am simulating some models to learn the software. I am some questions about my simulation and software. I would really appreciate it if you could answer my question.

1. The software continues the simulation even if it has an error!. Should I stop it when any errors occur? For example, as you can see in the attached image, my ongoing simulation has two errors, but the ANSYS continues running!

2. My simulation takes a too long time. For example, with two coils in a 700*700*150 region, it takes more than 10 hours to finish! My Laptop is hp Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.40 with 8GB RAM.
Is it normal for ANSYS?

What does the error "current leak to the air" mean in Ansys Maxwell?

The error "current leak to the air" in Ansys Maxwell indicates that there is a discontinuity in the physical model or mesh that is causing a leakage of current into the surrounding air. This can lead to inaccurate results and should be addressed before proceeding with the simulation.

How can I fix the "current leak to the air" error in Ansys Maxwell?

To fix the "current leak to the air" error in Ansys Maxwell, you will need to carefully review your physical model and mesh. Look for any gaps or overlaps in the geometry and make sure all boundaries are properly defined. You may also need to refine your mesh in areas where there is a high concentration of current flow.

Can a "current leak to the air" error affect my simulation results?

Yes, a "current leak to the air" error can significantly impact your simulation results. This error indicates that there is a problem with the physical model or mesh, which can result in inaccurate or unreliable results. It is important to address this error before proceeding with your analysis.

How can I prevent the "current leak to the air" error in Ansys Maxwell?

The best way to prevent the "current leak to the air" error in Ansys Maxwell is to carefully design your physical model and mesh. Make sure all boundaries are properly defined and there are no gaps or overlaps in the geometry. It is also important to use a fine enough mesh to accurately capture the current flow in your model.

Is there any additional support available for troubleshooting the "current leak to the air" error in Ansys Maxwell?

Yes, there are several resources available for troubleshooting the "current leak to the air" error in Ansys Maxwell. You can consult the Ansys Maxwell user guide, reach out to the Ansys support team, or seek help from online forums and communities. It may also be helpful to review tutorials and examples to better understand how to properly set up your physical model and mesh.