ANSYS workbench moving plate contact

In summary, the author is trying to connect a stationary line body to a moving plate, but is having difficulty making contact. There is also an automatic connection generated, but it does not show the contact. The geometry layout of the bodies appears to be arbitrary. The author suggests trying different contact types and reducing the substeps of the simulation.
Shahrior Ahmed
Hello,
I am trying to make contact between a stationary line body and a moving plate that will compress the line body. But I could not make contact between them. There is also a automatic connection generated but while simulation it does not show the contact instead the moving plate penetrates.https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3JxOU4gULVWa0dNZW4yTVdLSzA/view?usp=sharing Here is the image showing boundary condition. please help.
Thank you.

Attachments

• figure.JPG
    figure.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 583
Engineering news on Phys.org
What specifically are you trying to model here? This geometry layout seems... arbitrary.

The line body is a wavy carbon nanotube. the plate is a rigid body that has distributed load on it and will compress the Carbon nanotube.

Have you considered assuming the nanotube doesn't slide and fixing the end of the tube to the plate?

Also what elements are you meshing the nanotube with, beam elements?

The elements are beam element. How do I fix the end to the plate?

Try changing your contact type to bonded, this is common way of fixing two bodies together.
However, cause of your problem may be that used substep is too large. Try reducing it.

I have tried with bonded contact type and also will other contact types, it did not work. I don't know about substep. Can you please tell me what are those and how do I reduce the substeps?

You should probably check to make sure the elements being used on the nanotube are compatible with a contact condition.

In workbench, there is a list of objects (or tree, depending on how you call it), it is ussually on the left side of the screen. This includes an object named analysis settings. When you click on it, you should see a table with some properties under the tree. This will include a row named automatic time stepping or something similar. By default, it is set to auto. by clicking here, you can set it to manual, which will produce additional rows, where you can change substeps. If your whole simulation is computed in one step, it means that Ansys is applying whole load at once. For some cases, this may be ok, but if there is some complication, like contact, it is ussually better to solve in several substeps - meaning that load is applied in several smaller, consecutive portions - easier to solve. Simply put, in case of contact, whole load may move contact points outside of searching range before contact is even detected. Dividing load to small portions can prevent this. I suggest raeding Ansys help topics dealing with contact settings and Ansys theory manual before proceeding. Also try google some articles about keywords like Ansys contact settings, FEM theory, pinball, load step settings, contact penetration and so on, you will probably found it very usefull.

1. What is ANSYS Workbench Moving Plate Contact?

ANSYS Workbench Moving Plate Contact is a feature within the ANSYS software suite that allows users to simulate the interaction between two moving bodies in a virtual environment. This feature is commonly used in engineering and scientific research to analyze the behavior of structures and systems under various loading conditions.

2. How does ANSYS Workbench Moving Plate Contact work?

ANSYS Workbench Moving Plate Contact uses finite element analysis (FEA) to simulate the movement and interaction between two plates. The software calculates the forces and stresses at each node on the plate, taking into account the contact between the two plates. This information can then be used to determine the deformation, displacement, and other mechanical properties of the plates.

3. What are the benefits of using ANSYS Workbench Moving Plate Contact?

One of the main benefits of using ANSYS Workbench Moving Plate Contact is that it allows for a more accurate simulation of real-life scenarios compared to traditional analytical methods. It also allows for a faster and more cost-effective way to test and optimize designs before physical prototypes are created. Additionally, ANSYS Workbench Moving Plate Contact has a user-friendly interface and offers a wide range of analysis capabilities.

4. Can ANSYS Workbench Moving Plate Contact be used for any type of moving plates?

ANSYS Workbench Moving Plate Contact can be used for a variety of moving plates, including sliding, rotating, and oscillating plates. The software also allows for the simulation of different contact types, such as frictionless, frictional, and rough contact. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the simulation may vary depending on the complexity of the contact behavior.

5. How can I learn more about ANSYS Workbench Moving Plate Contact?

There are various resources available to learn more about ANSYS Workbench Moving Plate Contact, including online tutorials, user guides, and training courses. The ANSYS website also has a community forum where users can ask questions and share their experiences with the software. Additionally, consulting with an expert in the field or attending workshops and conferences can provide valuable insights and knowledge about ANSYS Workbench Moving Plate Contact.