Ant and rubber band problem

In summary: I knew you were joking but what was the...I don't know, it was something about an imaginary conversation.I don't know, it was something about an imaginary conversation.
IamVector
Homework Statement
An ant is moving along a rubber band at velocity
v = 1 cm/s. One end of the rubber band (the one from which

the ant started) is fixed to a wall, the other (initially at dis-
tance L = 1 m from the wall) is pulled at u = 1 m/s. Will the

ant reach the other end of the band? If yes then when will it
happen?
Relevant Equations
approach is : we can use the relative position on
the band which fraction k of the rubber is left behind starts with k = 0, and k = 1 corresponds to the ant reaching the end of the band .
why can't we use Cartesian coordinates and in which way to proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show the Relevant Equations and show your work on this, or your thread will be deleted. Thank you.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Please show the Relevant Equations and show your work on this, or your thread will be deleted. Thank youl
ok

IamVector said:
why can't we use Cartesian coordinates
You can use whatever coordinates you like, but sometimes it is easier to use a frame of reference that is moving. Sometimes, even using a noninertial frame is easiest.

haruspex said:
You can use whatever coordinates you like, but sometimes it is easier to use a frame of reference that is moving. Sometimes, even using a noninertial frame is easiest.
the hint given is related to using Lagrangian coordinates but I don't have any idea what they are.

IamVector said:
the hint given is related to using Lagrangian coordinates but I don't have any idea what they are.
http://glossary.ametsoc.org/wiki/Lagrangian_coordinates
Imagine that the band starts out marked in some equal intervals. Of course, the gap between them grows as the band is stretched, so in these units the ant slows down.
How fast is the ant going, in these units, at time t?

IamVector said:
You don't have ANY idea what they are? Have you searched google or Wikipedia?
If you ask a specific question you may get an answer here, but this sounds like giving up.
"Solve my problem for me" isn't likely to work here.
You've gotten some good hints here, work with those and ask about what confuses you.

Likes berkeman
DaveE said:
You don't have ANY idea what they are? Have you searched google or Wikipedia?
If you ask a specific question you may get an answer here, but this sounds like giving up.
"Solve my problem for me" isn't likely to work here.
You've gotten some good hints here, work with those and ask about what confuses you.
Hmm got the answer
Ant cover Vdt distance in dt time and final length of rubberband = L+ut
So dk = Vdt/(L+ut) on taking integrals and putting values t = e^100 - 1
[thread closed]

IamVector said:
Hmm got the answer
Ant cover Vdt distance in dt time and final length of rubberband = L+ut
So dk = Vdt/(L+ut) on taking integrals and putting values t = e^100 - 1
[thread closed]
Yes, that's good. To put it into a Lagrangian coordinates view you would say that speed of the ant in those coordinates is ##\frac{L V}{L+ut}##, etc.

Last edited:
Likes IamVector
Am I wrong to say you don't need any equations for this question?

epenguin said:
Am I wrong to say you don't need any equations for this question?
Not sure how you are going to arrive at time =##\frac Lu(e^{\frac uV}-1)## without using equations.

Likes epenguin
haruspex said:
Not sure how you are going to arrive at time =##\frac Lu(e^{\frac uV}-1)## without using equations.

I bet Galileo could do it. I think it involves an imaginary conversation where two rational people continually insult the village idiot while saying “therefore” a lot.

Cutter Ketch said:
I bet Galileo could do it. I think it involves an imaginary conversation where two rational people continually insult the village idiot while saying “therefore” a lot.
what does that even mean XD??

IamVector said:
what does that even mean XD??

Galileo (and most philosophers for many hundreds of years before him) used the Socratic method. His observations were published in the form of dialogues between a wise teacher and two students: one a neutral inquisitive person and the other a devil’s advocate always making counter arguments for the teacher to shred. He was tellingly named ‘Simplicio’. In these dialogues instead of equations the relations are spelled out using language, so, for example you will find quotes like this,

“ The spaces described by a body falling from rest with a uniformly accelerated motion are to each other as the squares of the time intervals employed in traversing those distances.”

So I was jokingly saying Galileo would find a way to say it all with words and he would do so in the Socratic form.

Likes Lnewqban
Cutter Ketch said:
Galileo (and most philosophers for many hundreds of years before him) used the Socratic method. His observations were published in the form of dialogues between a wise teacher and two students: one a neutral inquisitive person and the other a devil’s advocate always making counter arguments for the teacher to shred. He was tellingly named ‘Simplicio’. In these dialogues instead of equations the relations are spelled out using language, so, for example you will find quotes like this,

“ The spaces described by a body falling from rest with a uniformly accelerated motion are to each other as the squares of the time intervals employed in traversing those distances.”

So I was jokingly saying Galileo would find a way to say it all with words and he would do so in the Socratic form.
of course I knew you were joking but what was the need? I thought something triggered you XD

haruspex said:
You are right, I had hastily misread the questio.

Likes IamVector
epenguin said:
You are right, I had hastily misread the questio.
Np

What is the "Ant and rubber band problem"?

The "Ant and rubber band problem" is a classic physics problem that involves an ant walking on a rubber band that is stretched between two points. The ant starts at one end of the rubber band and walks towards the other end, while the rubber band is being stretched at a constant rate. The question is, will the ant ever reach the other end of the rubber band?

What is the significance of the "Ant and rubber band problem"?

The "Ant and rubber band problem" is significant because it demonstrates the concept of infinite series and the role of limits in mathematics. It also highlights the counterintuitive nature of infinity and the importance of careful mathematical reasoning.

What is the solution to the "Ant and rubber band problem"?

The solution to the "Ant and rubber band problem" is that the ant will never reach the other end of the rubber band. As the rubber band is being stretched, the distance between the ant and the end of the rubber band will decrease, but it will never reach zero. This is because the rubber band is being stretched at a constant rate, meaning the distance between the ant and the end of the rubber band will always be decreasing, but it will never reach zero.

What factors affect the outcome of the "Ant and rubber band problem"?

The main factor that affects the outcome of the "Ant and rubber band problem" is the rate at which the rubber band is being stretched. If the rubber band is being stretched at a slower rate, the ant will have a better chance of reaching the other end. Other factors that may affect the outcome include the length and elasticity of the rubber band, and the speed of the ant.

How is the "Ant and rubber band problem" related to real-life situations?

The "Ant and rubber band problem" can be related to real-life situations that involve infinite series, such as the growth of a population or the expansion of the universe. It also highlights the importance of understanding limits in mathematics and how they can affect the outcome of a problem.