Commutator of the Dirac Hamiltonian and gamma 5

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the commutator of gamma 5 with the Dirac Hamiltonian in the chiral (massless) limit in the presence of an electromagnetic field. The conversation also confirms the correctness of the proposed Hamiltonian and provides guidance on how to compute the commutator.
Milsomonk

Homework Statement

Show that in the chiral (massless) limit, Gamma 5 commutes with the Dirac Hamiltonian in the presence of an electromagnetic field.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first question is whether my Dirac Hamiltonian looks correct, I constructed it by separating the temporal derivative from the spatial part from the Dirac equation:

$$ i \gamma^\mu (\partial_\mu +iqA_\mu)\psi=0 $$
$$-i\gamma^0 \partial_t \psi=(i \gamma^i \partial_i -q\gamma^\mu A_\mu)\psi$$
$$H\psi=i\partial_t \psi=(-i\gamma^0 \gamma^i \partial_i +q \gamma^0\gamma^\mu A_\mu)\psi$$

I don't have huge confidence that this Hamiltonian is correct so if anyone has any comments I'd be very grateful :)

My second sticking point is how to compute the commutator:

$$[H,\gamma^5]$$

I see that I can just work out the sum of the commutators of each section:

$$[-i\gamma^0 \gamma^i \partial_i, \gamma^5] + [q \gamma^0\gamma^\mu A_\mu, \gamma^5]$$

But I'm not sure how to work out how gamma 5 commutes with the partial_i term, or the A_mu term, any advice would be awesome :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your Hamiltonian is correct.

When considering commutators, you only need to worry about the commutation of the matrices. Everything else can be "pulled out". For example,

$$[-i\gamma^0 \gamma^i \partial_i, \gamma^5] = [\gamma^0 \gamma^i , \gamma^5] \left( -i \partial_i \right)$$

Ah thank you! That clears everything up :)

Related to Commutator of the Dirac Hamiltonian and gamma 5

1. What is the commutator of the Dirac Hamiltonian and gamma 5?

The commutator of the Dirac Hamiltonian and gamma 5 is a mathematical operation that determines the extent to which these two operators can be simultaneously measured on a quantum mechanical system. It is denoted as [H, γ5] and is equal to the difference between the product of the two operators and the product of their reverse order.

2. What is the significance of the commutator of the Dirac Hamiltonian and gamma 5?

The commutator of the Dirac Hamiltonian and gamma 5 is a fundamental quantity in quantum mechanics that helps us understand the behavior of particles and their interactions. It plays a crucial role in describing the symmetries and conservation laws of physical systems.

3. How is the commutator of the Dirac Hamiltonian and gamma 5 related to the Dirac equation?

The commutator of the Dirac Hamiltonian and gamma 5 is directly related to the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of fermionic particles in a relativistic quantum theory. It arises as a result of the commutation relation between the Hamiltonian and the gamma 5 operator in the Dirac equation.

4. Can the commutator of the Dirac Hamiltonian and gamma 5 be used to predict the behavior of particles?

Yes, the commutator of the Dirac Hamiltonian and gamma 5 can be used to make predictions about the behavior of particles in quantum systems. By understanding the commutation relations between operators, we can determine the possible states and energies of particles in a given system.

5. Are there any applications of the commutator of the Dirac Hamiltonian and gamma 5 in modern physics?

Yes, the commutator of the Dirac Hamiltonian and gamma 5 has many applications in modern physics, particularly in the fields of quantum field theory and particle physics. It is used to study the symmetries and properties of particles, as well as to make predictions about their behavior in different physical systems.