Antiderivatives Graphically & Numerically

In summary, to sketch the graph of g(x) using the graph of g’ and the fact that g(0) = 50, you can set the derivative equal to zero to find the critical points and set the second derivative equal to zero to find the inflection points. Then, substitute these x-values into the original function g(x) to find the corresponding y-values. The graph will be concave down on the intervals (0, 10) and (20, 40) and concave up on the interval 10<x<20. The coordinates of the critical points are (15, g(15)) and (50, g(50)) and the coordinates of the inflection points are (10, g(10
UMich1344

Homework Statement

Using the graph of g’ in the figure below and the fact that g(0) = 50, sketch the graph of g(x). Give the coordinates of all critical points and inflection points of g.

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g14/CCieslak1689/?action=view&current=graph.jpg

2. Attempt and Question(s)

My first sketch of the graph had local maximums at x=50 and x=40 and a local minimum at x=15.

I had inflection points at x=10 and x=20.
The graph was concave down on the intervals (0, 10) and (20, 40).
It was concave up on the interval 10<x<20.

Hopefully I have my sketch of the graph right up to this point. My only doubt about it is the fact that the graph of the derivative has sharp corners and isn't smooth. I do not know if this needs to be accounted for and, if it does, I am completely lost.

Also, I'm wondering what steps I can take in order to find the coordinates of the critical points and inflection points. I'm confident I have the x-values correct but can't figure out how to solve for the y-values.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

3. Response

Hello,

You are on the right track with your sketch of the graph. The sharp corners in the graph of the derivative do not necessarily need to be accounted for in your sketch of the graph of g(x). However, if you wanted to make the graph smoother, you could use a smoothing function or a curve fitting tool to approximate the graph of g(x).

To find the coordinates of the critical points, you can set the derivative equal to zero and solve for x. The resulting x-values will be the x-coordinates of the critical points. You can then substitute these x-values into the original function g(x) to find the corresponding y-values.

To find the coordinates of the inflection points, you can set the second derivative equal to zero and solve for x. The resulting x-values will be the x-coordinates of the inflection points. Again, you can substitute these x-values into the original function g(x) to find the corresponding y-values.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your graph!

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is a function that, when differentiated, will produce the original function. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is also known as integration.

2. How do you find the antiderivative of a function graphically?

To find the antiderivative of a function graphically, you can use the graph of the derivative of the function. The antiderivative will be the original function shifted up or down by a constant value.

3. What is the difference between an antiderivative and an indefinite integral?

An antiderivative is a specific function that, when differentiated, will produce the original function. An indefinite integral is a family of functions that differ by a constant value, all of which have the same derivative.

4. How do you use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to find the antiderivative of a function?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that the definite integral of a function can be found by evaluating the antiderivative of that function at the upper and lower limits of integration. Therefore, you can use this theorem to find the antiderivative of a function by evaluating its integral.

5. Can you use numerical methods to find antiderivatives?

Yes, numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule can be used to approximate the value of an antiderivative. These methods involve dividing the function into smaller intervals and using the area under each interval to approximate the value of the antiderivative.