Find the distance traveled on the velocity-time graph

In summary, the purpose of finding the distance traveled on a velocity-time graph is to understand the motion of an object and determine its speed and direction. This is done by calculating the area under the curve or using the equation d=vt. The units used to measure distance on a velocity-time graph depend on the units used for velocity and time. The slope of the line on the graph can also help determine the speed of an object, and the changing velocity can be taken into account when calculating the distance. However, for more accuracy, it may be necessary to divide the graph into smaller sections.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
part b. find the distance travelled in the first ##50## seconds
Relevant Equations
kinematics
1613563411544.png

now this is my approach, my interest in on part b
distance travelled= area under the graph between time ##t=0## and ##t=50##,
area = ##0.5(40+20)10+ (20 × 40) + 0.5(40+20)10+ 0.5×10×20##
Area= ##300+800+300+100=1500m##
now textbook says i am wrong, where have i made a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaargh i have seen the mistake...

area = ##0.5(50+20)10+ (20 × 50) + 0.5(50+25)10+ 0.5×10×25##
Area= ##350+1000+375+125=1850m##

1. What is a velocity-time graph?

A velocity-time graph is a visual representation of an object's velocity (speed and direction) over a period of time. The graph shows how the velocity changes over time and can provide information about an object's acceleration and displacement.

2. How do you find the distance traveled on a velocity-time graph?

The distance traveled on a velocity-time graph can be found by calculating the area under the curve. This can be done by breaking the graph into smaller shapes (such as rectangles or triangles) and finding the area of each shape. The sum of these areas will give the total distance traveled.

3. What does the slope of a velocity-time graph represent?

The slope of a velocity-time graph represents the object's acceleration. A steeper slope indicates a higher acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a lower acceleration. A horizontal line indicates constant velocity (no acceleration).

4. Can you determine the displacement from a velocity-time graph?

Yes, the displacement can be determined from a velocity-time graph by finding the total area under the curve. The direction of the displacement can be determined by the direction of the velocity (positive velocity indicates movement in one direction, negative velocity indicates movement in the opposite direction).

5. How is a velocity-time graph used in real life?

A velocity-time graph is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze an object's motion and determine its acceleration, displacement, and other important factors. It can also be used to make predictions about an object's future motion and to design and optimize systems such as vehicles and machines.