Any good open universities around?

In summary, the speaker has obtained a degree in physics and worked in the field for a few years before deciding to become a space systems engineer. They have found a job under their new degree but feel unfulfilled and have a strong desire to study physics again. They are seeking advice on open universities that offer online courses in theoretical physics and are considering self-study as an option.
miou@mitsou
Hello,
forum its been some time since I posted something on this site, feels good to be back :)

well I am facing a problem and have thought about it and think I will be needing some help from you guys... the story goes as such..

well, I finished a four year degree in the field of physics (where i come from the BSc is 4 yrs and not 3) i worked for a couple of years on modeling neutron star collisions... etc. After that, I decided to become a space systems engineer and hence returned back to studying where I obtained myself a second BSc and a MSc in space systems engineering. Everythig has turned out nicely so far and have found a job under my MSc title, have a gf and soon planning to have kids...

Though I feel empty and sad inside, because I have regretted my decision become an engineer, its not that I don't like it; its just that after understanding what engineering is, I find it boring and not very intellectual at all. I feel this urge and passion inside me to study physics again on the side next to my day job. I know this will be a tedious task but I know that this will make me happy. And hence I want to peruse it.

What I need from you guys/girls is some advice on any open universities that you may know that provide online courses regarding theoretical physics.

Cheers :)

Physics news on Phys.org
miou@mitsou said:
its not that I don't like it;

I find it boring and not very intellectual at all.

These two seem contradictory. Can you expand a bit?

Thank you for your replay,

Though i am happy that you have shown intetest in my enquiery, i do not find any correlation between my question and the exploration of my subconscious feelings.

But since you have asked, let me answer in a nut shell, in case some other reader has a diffuculty in choosing between these two fields of science: i am more interested to answer the question why(?) rather than how(?).

miou@mitsou said:
... some advice on any open universities that you may know that provide online courses regarding theoretical physics.

How about following the advice on Gerard ’t Hooft's site? Self-study seems to me to be the way to go at this point.

miou@mitsou said:
What I need from you guys/girls is some advice on any open universities that you may know that provide online courses regarding theoretical physics.

There are very few options on the postgraduate level. In fact, an MSc in mathematics from the Open University seems to be the option closest to theoretical physics as far as accredited online programs go: http://www.find-online-courses.com/online-programs-in-mathematics (click: "postgraduate")

1. What is an open university?

An open university is a type of higher education institution that offers distance learning opportunities to individuals who may not have access to traditional on-campus education. These universities typically have open admissions policies, meaning that anyone can enroll regardless of their educational background or qualifications.

2. What are the benefits of attending an open university?

Attending an open university allows students to study at their own pace and from any location, making it a flexible option for those with busy schedules or other commitments. Additionally, open universities often have lower tuition costs and offer a wide range of courses and programs to choose from.

3. How do I know if an open university is reputable?

It's important to do your research before enrolling in any university, including open universities. Look for accreditations and rankings from reputable organizations, as well as reviews and feedback from current and former students. You can also reach out to the university directly for more information on their accreditation and reputation.

4. Are there any specific requirements for attending an open university?

Each open university may have its own set of requirements for admission, so it's important to check with the specific institution you are interested in. However, in general, open universities have more flexible admission criteria and do not require standardized test scores or a specific GPA.

5. Can I transfer credits earned at an open university to a traditional university?

It depends on the individual university and their transfer credit policies. Some open universities have partnerships with traditional universities, making it easier to transfer credits. It's best to check with the specific institutions you are interested in to determine their transfer credit policies.