Any place to take upper division physics classes online?

In summary: If you are looking for accredited upper division physics classes online or through correspondence, your searches may have failed you, but there are options available. Some recommended options include checking MIT OpenCourseware, Coursera, and the Open University. Each of these offers a variety of upper division physics courses that may be available online or through correspondence. It's important to note that some of these courses may not be available in the US, so it's best to check with your university's transfer credit policies before enrolling. Additionally, some universities may require pre-approval before transferring credits, so be sure to check with your registrar's office for more information.
Vanadu
Looking for accredited upper division physics [undergraduate] classes online/correspondence. Anyone know of any? My searches are failing me. Also, before someone says that it's impossible, upper div physics classes rarely have labs and are mostly math, so it is possible to do via correspondence. I just can't find any for some reason; only lower division ones (that have "virtual labs" :rolleyes:).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Have you checked MIT online? They have a variety of online video lectures that you can take. Not sure if you can get unless you go to MIT and they give you a test on the course.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/

Also there's coursera online courses?

To get credit you might have to work with your university to see if they have a way to test you from what you've learned and give you course credit. I think it would be limited though to no more than a few courses and only if the department responsible agrees to prepare a test.

Other PF advisors should pipe in here and give you a more definitive answer.

Check the open university

Vanadu said:
Looking for accredited upper division physics [undergraduate] classes online/correspondence. Anyone know of any? My searches are failing me. Also, before someone says that it's impossible, upper div physics classes rarely have labs and are mostly math, so it is possible to do via correspondence. I just can't find any for some reason; only lower division ones (that have "virtual labs" :rolleyes:).

Thanks.

micromass said:
Check the open university

The Open University offers UG courses in EM, QM (both at the level of Griffith's), astrophysics, relativity, math methods, fluid dynamics, variational calculus, literature-based dissertation and a bunch of UG and PG math courses. Check out http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/

I did my BSc at the OU and highly recommend it if you want to study online.

I think I remember someone posting that the OU's physics courses are not available in the US, which (if true) may or may not be applicable to the original poster.

jtbell said:
I think I remember someone posting that the OU's physics courses are not available in the US, which (if true) may or may not be applicable to the original poster.

I researched this recently. Physics courses are available in the USA and so are PG math courses. UG math courses are not, including math methods and fluid dynamics that I mentioned above. https://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/countries/USA.shtm

Thanks for responses.

Is Open the only one? Are Open courses considered accredited and transferable?

Vanadu said:
Are Open courses considered accredited and transferable?

OU is accredited by the same UK government agency as any other British university. You can find some details on its recognition in the USA on OU's Wikipedia page. Whether the credit is transferrable depends on regulations governing the program you want it transferred to.

Independent said:
Whether the credit is transferrable depends on regulations governing the program you want it transferred to.

If you are currently a student at a US college or university, find out their procedure for requesting transfer credit. They may require that they pre-approve the course before you take it. Ask the registrar's office or look on their web site.

Related to Any place to take upper division physics classes online?

1. What online platforms offer upper division physics classes?

There are several online platforms that offer upper division physics classes, such as Coursera, edX, Udemy, and Khan Academy. These platforms provide a wide range of courses from reputable institutions and instructors.

2. Can I receive credit for online upper division physics classes?

It depends on the institution and program you are enrolled in. Some universities may accept online courses for credit, while others may not. It is best to check with your institution's policies or speak with an academic advisor.

3. Are online upper division physics classes as rigorous as in-person classes?

It varies depending on the platform and instructor, but generally, online upper division physics classes can be just as rigorous as in-person classes. The material covered and assignments given are often similar to those in traditional classes, and online courses often require self-motivation and discipline.

4. How do online upper division physics classes differ from traditional classes?

Online upper division physics classes differ from traditional classes in that they are conducted entirely online. This means that lectures, assignments, and exams are all completed through a virtual platform. Online classes also offer more flexibility in terms of when and where you can access course materials.

5. Can I interact with the instructor and other students in online upper division physics classes?

Yes, most online platforms offer various ways to interact with the instructor and other students, such as discussion forums, virtual office hours, and group projects. However, the level of interaction may differ from that of traditional classes, and it ultimately depends on the instructor's teaching style and the course structure.