Any recommendations on Physics education?

In summary: I have plenty of time. I have finished all my high school credit hours, but instead of graduating early, I am going to be applying to many colleges throughout this year and will be doing dual enrollment. Dual enrollment was how I got finished so quickly. I am self-taught in most things I do, so if you guys have any textbooks or online material you recommend, that would be appreciated.In summary, a physics graduate student should study calculus and learn how to do physics in a new and elegant light.
Hunter1234
Unfortunately, I was never taught proper physics in my high school, but I have always had an interest in the subject. Do you guys have any recommendations for books/textbooks, courses, online material, etc. for understanding physics at a basic and deeper understanding?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hunter1234 said:
Unfortunately, I was never taught proper physics in my high school, but I have always had an interest in the subject. Do you guys have any recommendations for books/textbooks, courses, online material, etc. for understanding physics at a basic and deeper understanding?

Enroll in university in pursuit of a physics degree. If your grades aren't good enough to be accepted anywhere, go to community college first.

Likes symbolipoint
Student100 said:
Enroll in university in pursuit of a physics degree. If your grades aren't good enough to be accepted anywhere, go to community college first.
Oh, I should've mentioned I am going to pursue a career in astronomy and physics, but I am currently 17 and have yet to graduate high school. My high school physics class was a joke, and I am really just wanting to learn physics before I head off to college.

Hunter1234 said:
Oh, I should've mentioned I am going to pursue a career in astronomy and physics, but I am currently 17 and have yet to graduate high school. My high school physics class was a joke, and I am really just wanting to learn physics before I head off to college.
Maybe not enough time between now and when you enter college. If you are advanced with Mathematics, then maybe dual enrollment might be possible, but the most likely course of Physics for you at the community college would be either Elementary Physics, or the beginning Mechanics course for Physics 1 for the science & engineering students. The first one requires Intermediate Algebra and s little Trigonometry. The second one requires through first semester Calculus and more Trigonometry.

The best thing you can do right now is to learn calculus. Calculus makes physics so much easier and more elegant. Once you know derivatives and basic integration, you can do physics in this new light.

symbolipoint said:
Maybe not enough time between now and when you enter college. If you are advanced with Mathematics, then maybe dual enrollment might be possible, but the most likely course of Physics for you at the community college would be either Elementary Physics, or the beginning Mechanics course for Physics 1 for the science & engineering students. The first one requires Intermediate Algebra and s little Trigonometry. The second one requires through first semester Calculus and more Trigonometry.
I have plenty of time. I have finished all my high school credit hours, but instead of graduating early, I am going to be applying to many colleges throughout this year and will be doing dual enrollment. Dual enrollment was how I got finished so quickly. I am self-taught in most things I do, so if you guys have any textbooks or online material you recommend, that would be appreciated.

Related to Any recommendations on Physics education?

1. How can I improve my understanding of Physics?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of Physics is to actively engage with the material. This can include practicing problems, participating in discussions, and seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed. It is also helpful to have a solid foundation in mathematics, as many concepts in Physics rely heavily on mathematical principles.

2. Are there any online resources or tools that can aid in Physics education?

There are many online resources and tools available to aid in Physics education. Some popular options include interactive simulations, video lectures, and online textbooks. You can also find practice problems and quizzes on various websites to test your understanding and track your progress.

3. How important is hands-on experimentation in learning Physics?

Hands-on experimentation is crucial in learning Physics as it allows you to apply theoretical concepts in a practical setting. It helps you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and also reinforces your understanding of the material. Many schools and universities have well-equipped laboratories for students to conduct experiments.

4. What are some effective study strategies for Physics?

Some effective study strategies for Physics include breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable chunks, using visual aids such as diagrams and graphs, and actively engaging with the material through practice problems and discussions. It is also helpful to review and revise regularly, rather than cramming all the material at once.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to excel in Physics?

A strong mathematical background is definitely beneficial in excelling in Physics, as many concepts and equations in Physics are based on mathematical principles. However, with dedication and practice, it is possible to improve your math skills while learning Physics. Many universities also offer support services for students struggling with math or offer bridging courses to help them catch up.