Any way to solve 3x^8-20x^6-12x^4+12x^2+1 by hand

• Thread starter nameVoid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hand
In summary, after some factoring, the equation 3x^8-20x^6-12x^4+12x^2+1 can be written as (x^2+1)(3x^6-2x^4+11x^2+1). The second factor is a cubic in x^2 which can be solved using the cubic formula, but the resulting solutions are messy. Factoring this equation by hand is not practical and the use of Eisenstein's criterion is limited. The cubic formula is a lengthy formula for solving cubics and is not worth memorizing due to the complexity of the solutions. This equation arises when finding the second derivative of the curve y=(2-x^2)/(
nameVoid
any way to solve 3x^8-20x^6-12x^4+12x^2+1 by hand

Physics news on Phys.org

After some factoring, you get
[tex]
( x^2+1) (3 x^6-2 x^4 +11x^2+1)
[/tex]

The second factor is a cubic in [tex]x^2[/tex] so you can use the cubic formula, but it's messy.

how did you factor that what is this cubic formula

To give you an idea of what the solutions looks like, I used mathematica to solve it and the six solutions from the cubic formula all look like this

[tex]
x = -\sqrt{\frac{23}{9}-\frac{43 5^{2/3}}{9 \left(2 \left(863+27 i \sqrt{69}\right)\right)^{1/3}}+\frac{43 i 5^{2/3}}{3 \sqrt{3} \left(2 \left(863+27 i \sqrt{69}\right)\right)^{1/3}}-\frac{\left(5 \left(863+27 i \sqrt{69}\right)\right)^{1/3}}{9 2^{2/3}}-\frac{i \left(5 \left(863+27 i \sqrt{69}\right)\right)^{1/3}}{3 2^{2/3} \sqrt{3}}}
[/tex]

nameVoid said:
how did you factor that what is this cubic formula

You can check to see if it might be factorable over Z with eisenstien's criterion, and I guessed one of the factors (which wasn't difficult because the constant is 1) then used polynomial division. If you had to solve something like that factoring wouldn't really be that practical (unless the coefficients were symmetric or something) but there was an easy factor in this. In fact Eisenstein's can't even be used to check if the second factor can be factored, so this isn't something you would do by hand.

The cubic formula is like the quadratic formula but for cubics. It's very long and not worth memorizing because the answers almost always end up messy.

Last edited:

well this equation comes up on the second derivative when trying to sketch the the curve y=(2-x^2)/(1+x^4)

Related to Any way to solve 3x^8-20x^6-12x^4+12x^2+1 by hand

1. How do I begin to solve this equation by hand?

The first step in solving this equation by hand is to factor out the greatest common factor, if possible. In this case, the greatest common factor is 1, so we can move on to the next step.

2. Can this equation be simplified?

Yes, this equation can be simplified by grouping like terms. We can group the first two terms and the last two terms together, resulting in 3x^6(x^2-20)-12x^2(x^2-1). This can then be factored further to 3x^6(x^2-20)-12x^2(x+1)(x-1).

3. How do I find the roots of this equation?

To find the roots of this equation, we need to set it equal to 0 and factor it. This will allow us to solve for the values of x that make the equation equal to 0. In this case, the roots are x=1, x=-1, and x=2.

4. Is there a faster way to solve this equation by hand?

Yes, we can use the Rational Root Theorem to quickly find potential rational roots of the equation, and then use synthetic division to test these roots and find the actual roots. This method can save time and effort when solving equations with higher degree polynomials.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this equation, but it is always beneficial to know how to solve equations by hand as well. Additionally, some calculators may not have the capability to factor or find roots of higher degree polynomials, so knowing how to do it by hand can be useful in those situations.