Anyone here interested in wood gasification.... can't find anything?

• Thread starter jimboz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wood
In summary, Wood gasification is a process that converts solid wood into a gaseous fuel. It has been done in the past, but is now considered too expensive compared to other energy sources like solar panels. Gas generators for vehicles have been investigated, but are not certified by vehicle manufacturers and are not approved for use on the road. They are also deemed dangerous and have not gained widespread use. However, for stationary use, wood gasifiers can be more efficient than traditional wood-burning fireplaces. Mother Earth News is a good source for information on wood gasification and there are many YouTube videos available as well.
jimboz
Wood gasification is the process of converting solid wood into a gaseous fuel. Surely the brainiacs on this site would find it interesting.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It has been done during WWII and is now too expensive.

Here's a picture of a wood fueled car. It gassifies the wood, then burns the gas.

1613596109144.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes russ_watters and berkeman
jimboz said:
Wood gasification is the process of converting solid wood into a gaseous fuel. Surely the brainiacs on this site would find it interesting.
Gasification is an inefficient investment compared to solar PV panels.

Unfortunately the amateur built vehicle based systems are not certified by the vehicle manufacturer, so are not approved for use on the road. They fail the exhaust emission controls required of vehicles. Gas generators are also deemed dangerous when used on the road shared with gasoline based fuel. The last experimenter to try gas generation in this state got his picture in the newspaper, followed by the attention of the state government. I guess they would miss the fuel tax if the idea caught on.

Where the gas is produced more efficiently, from landfill or in a wet digester tank, it is burned in an internal combustion engine and used to generate electrical energy to the grid.

Gas generators for vehicles were investigated by the New Zealand government during one of the oil shocks, but the price of fuel fell and the generators were ignored again.

Quite a common DIY and 'miracle' topic: as usual, with the inherent dangers and costs often completely overlooked.

It's not a dead thing. It's just an obsolete thing which is too lazy to disappear.

Nifty. I'm all for keeping 'out of the box" technology extant.

For stationary use, they're apparently more efficient than a wood-burning fireplace... which doesn't take much, I imagine ; so, if that's the only alternative...

But,

Specific to the kind of gasifier design that,
a) directly uses a forest for fuel, and
b) intentionally produces CO (ie: using external air), which later is burned into CO2, or relatedly
c) uses a side-process, which also produces CO2 directly (eg: Fischer-Tropsch),

hard no for widespread use.

(Fair warning : I'm not a scientist - this opinion is what seems to be common sense, based on common knowledge)

Last edited:
I've got fuel, tools, and mediocre skills and I'm planning on building a stationary unit. I was hoping someone here with actual experience might join the discussion.

Search wood gasification mother Earth news for a number of good articles. One article discusses a pickup truck running on a wood gasifier. They claim 80 to 110 miles at 55 MPH on 110 lbs of wood. A quick calculation that 110 lbs of gasoline would be 18.3 gallons, so the equivalent gas mileage would be 4.4 to 6 miles per gallon.

jimboz said:
I've got fuel, tools, and mediocre skills
Then Mother Earth News is your best source.

jrmichler said:
Search wood gasification mother Earth news for a number of good articles. One article discusses a pickup truck running on a wood gasifier. They claim 80 to 110 miles at 55 MPH on 110 lbs of wood. A quick calculation that 110 lbs of gasoline would be 18.3 gallons, so the equivalent gas mileage would be 4.4 to 6 miles per gallon. Then Mother Earth News is your best source.

Yes, I'm familiar with them. Also, if you're interested, there's tons of good youtube videos.

Likes hmmm27

1. What is wood gasification and how does it work?

Wood gasification is a process that converts solid wood or other biomass materials into a combustible gas mixture called "wood gas." This is achieved by heating the wood in a low-oxygen environment, causing it to break down and release gases such as hydrogen, carbon monoxide, and methane. These gases can then be used as a fuel source for heating, cooking, and powering engines.

2. What are the benefits of using wood gasification?

There are several benefits to using wood gasification as a fuel source. It is a renewable and sustainable energy source, as wood can be continuously grown and harvested. It also produces fewer emissions compared to traditional fossil fuels, making it a more environmentally friendly option. Additionally, wood gasification can be more cost-effective in the long run, as wood is often less expensive than other fuels.

3. Is wood gasification safe to use?

When done properly, wood gasification is a safe process. However, it is important to follow proper safety precautions, such as using the appropriate equipment and ensuring proper ventilation. It is also crucial to regularly maintain and inspect the gasification system to prevent any potential hazards.

4. Can any type of wood be used for gasification?

While most types of wood can be used for gasification, some are more suitable than others. Hardwoods, such as oak and maple, are generally preferred as they produce more energy and less ash compared to softwoods. It is important to use dry and seasoned wood for gasification, as wet or green wood can lead to incomplete combustion and produce harmful byproducts.

5. How can I get started with wood gasification?

There are several resources available for those interested in wood gasification. You can find DIY plans and tutorials online for building your own gasification system, or you can purchase pre-made systems from various manufacturers. It is important to do thorough research and consult with experts before beginning any gasification project to ensure safety and efficiency.