Anyone know of some basic physics papers to 'critique'?

In summary, the person is looking for articles to critique for a physics-related assignment but is limited to basic theories due to the audience being from the faculty of arts. They are seeking articles that discuss basic physical phenomena and may have plausible arguments or be opinion-based. They mention finding one on a paradox in thermodynamics, but it is too short for their required critique length. They are then suggested an article on force and the inertial frame by Robert W. Brehme which addresses the definition of force and its circularity.
Guffie
Hey,

I have been put in the position in which I have required to write a formal 'critique' of a physics related journal article. The catch is that I am limited to more basic theories as the people who will be reading the critique are from the facaulty of arts, which blew all of my ideas out the window.

Does anyone know of any articles which discuss basic physical phenomena which might 'critiqueable',
in the sense that their arguments may be plausible, or maybe ever more opinion based (which I know is kind of rare).

I have found one on a paradox in thermodynamics but it's two pages long whereas I am required to provide a several page critique.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Guffie said:
Hey,

I have been put in the position in which I have required to write a formal 'critique' of a physics related journal article. The catch is that I am limited to more basic theories as the people who will be reading the critique are from the facaulty of arts, which blew all of my ideas out the window.

Does anyone know of any articles which discuss basic physical phenomena which might 'critiqueable',
in the sense that their arguments may be plausible, or maybe ever more opinion based (which I know is kind of rare).

I have found one on a paradox in thermodynamics but it's two pages long whereas I am required to provide a several page critique.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

Try this one

On force and the inertial frame, Robert W. Brehme, Am. J. Phys. 53(10), October 1985

It addresses the definition of force and the circularity of previous definitions of it. It's an interesting read.

1. What is the purpose of critiquing basic physics papers?

The purpose of critiquing basic physics papers is to analyze and evaluate the scientific content, methodology, and conclusions presented in the paper. This helps to improve one's understanding of the subject matter and identify any potential flaws or gaps in the research.

2. How do I choose which physics papers to critique?

It is best to choose physics papers that align with your interests and knowledge level. Look for papers that have been published in reputable journals and have received citations from other researchers.

3. What are some key elements to look for when critiquing a physics paper?

Some key elements to look for when critiquing a physics paper include the research question or hypothesis, the methodology used, the data and evidence presented, the analysis and interpretation of results, and the overall conclusions and implications of the research.

4. Is it necessary to have a background in physics to critique a physics paper?

Having a background in physics can certainly be helpful in critiquing a physics paper, but it is not always necessary. As long as you have a basic understanding of scientific research methods and critical thinking skills, you can effectively critique a physics paper.

5. Are there any resources available to help with critiquing physics papers?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with critiquing physics papers. Some universities offer workshops or courses on scientific writing and critical analysis. Additionally, there are online guides and tutorials that provide tips and guidelines for critiquing scientific papers.