Anyone understand modern LinkedIn?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pdf Resume
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I haven't touched LinkedIn in a decade. Everything's gone and it doesn't seem very easy to rebuild.
Changing jobs for the first time in a decade is requiring me to have an up-to-date LinkedIn profile.
All my previous content is gone. I guess it expires?

Anyway, I should be able to upload a PDF and have it auto-populate my profile - but that function does not work as expected.

Here is what I am trying to do:

Build a resume:

1708627030100.png

This takes me here: note the "supported formats" message:

1708623569614.png

There are no live buttons on that page except Create from Profile, so that takes me here:

1708621947976.png

I can Skip or Apply. Either way I'm brought back to my home page:

1708626974354.png

1708623788177.png

All I can do here is start adding content. But nowhere is there any functionality for any uploading of documents - in the promised formats or otherwise.

1708622082556.png

What gives??

I mean, I can upload a resume, over here on the Job Application section:

1708627223220.png

It even says I can upload it to my profile:

1708623079506.png

I just find no functonality to do so.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm glad you figured out the right place to upload the resume. What a chore to find it!

My LinkedIn profile seems to have survived okay over the years, but maybe because I visit that website a couple times a year just following links that I'm sent from them via e-mail? I don't know why they would have deleted your history; that's obnoxious, IMO.

Best of luck on your job search now, luckily the economy is doing pretty well and there are lots of job postings. You may also try posting and searching on Indeed, and at least down here in California CalJOBS is a pretty good and active job seeking website. I'm not sure what the equivalent is up in your neck of the woods.

Likes Lnewqban
berkeman said:
I'm glad you figured out the right place to upload the resume.
No.

The instructions are wrong. The option to upload to my profile does not exist there.

Oh, rats. I'd lose the LinkedIn thing and focus on Indeed and other resources then. If I were doing a search for candidates, I'd go to Indeed first (and now I personally would use CalJOBS here in NorCal since I've seen how active that website is).

I would too. Except those sites ask for your LinkedIn profile for their clients' benefit.

Is it just me or is Indeed mostly contract work, and mostly overseas at that?

Looks like you want the second link on the page you referenced.

"Upload your resume to your Linkedin account via Settings for future job applications"

Cheers,
Tom

(No guarantees though, I've never used Linkedin)