Anyone Use VMs to run Maple - or Use VMs at all?

• Maple
  • Thread starter EJC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maple
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a virtual machine (VM) to run Maple, a modeling software, on a Macbook. The options of dual booting and using different VMs are considered, with the general consensus being that a VM may be more convenient but may also result in slower performance compared to running natively. The importance of having enough memory is also mentioned.
EJC
I do a lot of modeling in Maple. I recently bought a Macbook, and may run Windows through a VM and use Maple inside that until the eventual day that I buy a license for Maple for my Mac. Anyone have any insight on this? I've looked into dual booting and VMs, and since Maple (and occasionally MATLAB) is basically all I'll be using on Windows, I think I'm going to use a VM. I know the competition is between Parallels, VM Fusion, and Virtualbox (free), and I'd like to use Virtualbox since it's free, but only if it will be able to handle some complex modeling/computation in Maple.

Physics news on Phys.org
IF I understand your question: VM does not care what you run as long as it does not invoke system code for another type of computer OS than the guest OS. MacBook Pro is Darwin on x86 I believe so you are okay there - cpu instruction set wise.

You get less resources: memory, and OS system objects that consume memory as a guest than you would running native. So in your case you are running MAple for Windows on a guest OS: windows. Should run just fine. If your code runs a like a dog natively it will run even slower on the virtual. Generally.

I run a Mac with a Linux, Windows 7, and Windows 10 VM. They run things like Maple fine and are more convenient than dual booting. Lots of memory helps.

Dual booting and in not using a VM would probably be better than using a VM for any computationally intensive work. VMs never run as fast as bare metal. While VMs can share CPU, they can't share memory, so Cosmic Debris is right on about memory being helpful. If you don't care that much about tip-top performance, a VM can be a lot more convenient since you don't have to reboot every time you want to do stuff in your Mac. Anything that runs on regular hardware should run on a VM. That's what they're for. They just bring some overhead that affects performance.

1. What is a VM?

A VM, or virtual machine, is a software emulation of a computer system that allows you to run multiple operating systems or software programs on a single physical computer.

2. Why would someone use a VM to run Maple?

There are several reasons why someone might choose to use a VM to run Maple. One reason is that it allows for easy installation and setup of the software without affecting the main operating system. Additionally, using a VM can help improve performance and allow for better utilization of hardware resources.

3. What are the benefits of using a VM?

Using a VM can provide several benefits, including increased flexibility, improved security, and cost savings. VMs allow for easy creation and deletion of virtual environments, making it simple to test different configurations and setups. They also provide an added layer of security by isolating the virtual environment from the main operating system. Lastly, using VMs can save money by reducing the need for physical hardware and simplifying the management of multiple systems.

4. Are there any downsides to using a VM?

There are a few potential downsides to using a VM, including reduced performance and compatibility issues. Running software on a VM may not have the same level of performance as running it natively on the main operating system. Additionally, some software may not be compatible with certain VM environments, which could limit its functionality.

5. How do I set up a VM to run Maple?

The specific steps for setting up a VM to run Maple will depend on the virtualization software you are using. However, in general, you will need to first install the virtualization software, then create a new virtual machine and install the operating system you want to use. Once the VM is set up, you can install Maple as you would on a physical computer. It is recommended to consult the documentation or support resources for your specific virtualization software for more detailed instructions.