Apostol Calculus Vol1 10.4.29 Sequences

In summary, we use the given definition of limit to prove that a sequence of numbers, {a_n}, converges to 0. We then use this to prove that the sequence of squared numbers, {a_n^2}, also converges to 0. We can also extend this to show that, given a sequence {a_n} that converges to a limit L, the sequence {a_n^2} also converges to L^2. This can be proven by setting up a hypothesis with given limits and using the triangle inequality to show that |a_n^2 - L^2| is less than a chosen epsilon.
dustbin

Homework Statement

Assume that [tex] \{ a_n\}\rightarrow 0 [/tex]. Use the definition of limit to prove that [tex] \{ a_n^2\} \rightarrow 0[/tex].

Homework Equations

Definition of limit. For all ε>0 there exists N s.t. n>N implies |a_n - L|<ε.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know why this is true... if the sequence goes to zero then a_n<1. Therefore [tex] a_n^2 < a_n < 1 [/tex]. Then [tex] a_n^2 [/tex] is bounded above by a_n and below by zero, so it also converges. Is this as simple as:

Assume that given an ε>0 we choose N s.t. for all n>N implies |a_n - 0|<sqrt(ε). Then since [tex] a_n > a_n^2[/tex] we have [tex] |a_n^2|<\varepsilon [/tex]. Where L=0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dustbin said:

Homework Statement

Assume that [tex] \{ a_n\}\rightarrow 0 [/tex]. Use the definition of limit to prove that [tex] \{ a_n^2\} \rightarrow 0[/tex].

Homework Equations

Definition of limit. For all ε>0 there exists N s.t. n>N implies |a_n - L|<ε.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know why this is true... if the sequence goes to zero then a_n<1.

Not quite. You weren't given ##a_n## nonnegative, nor is it true for all ##n##. There exists ##N>0## such that ##|a_n|<1## if ##n>N##.

Therefore [tex] a_n^2 < a_n < 1 [/tex].

##a_n^2 < |a_n|<1## if ##n>N##.

Then [tex] a_n^2 [/tex] is bounded above by a_n and below by zero, so it also converges. Is this as simple as:

Assume that given an ε>0 we choose N s.t. for all n>N implies |a_n - 0|<sqrt(ε). Then since [tex] a_n > a_n^2[/tex] we have [tex] |a_n^2|<\varepsilon [/tex]. Where L=0.

Yes, it is pretty much that simple. Just write it up carefully.

Okay, so how about:

Suppose that [tex] \{ a_n\}\rightarrow 0.[/tex] Then given ε>0 there exists N s.t. [tex] |a_n|<\sqrt{\varepsilon } [/tex] whenever n>N. By hypothesis [tex] |a_n| < 1 .[/tex] Therefore [tex] a_n^2 < |a_n| < 1[/tex] and [tex] |a_n|<\sqrt{\varepsilon } \Longrightarrow |a_n^2| < \varepsilon .[/tex] Therefore [tex] \{ a_n^2\} \rightarrow 0. [/tex]

dustbin said:
Okay, so how about:

Suppose that [tex] \{ a_n\}\rightarrow 0.[/tex] Then given ε>0 there exists N s.t. [tex] |a_n|<\sqrt{\varepsilon } [/tex] whenever n>N. By hypothesis [tex] |a_n| < 1 .[/tex] Therefore [tex] a_n^2 < |a_n| < 1[/tex] and [tex] |a_n|<\sqrt{\varepsilon } \Longrightarrow |a_n^2| < \varepsilon .[/tex] Therefore [tex] \{ a_n^2\} \rightarrow 0. [/tex]

Given the way you have started, which is good, why don't you just leave out everything in red?

Ah I see. I am used to being overly detailed in explanations because my proof based class is a lower-div linear algebra course... we have to explain every possible detail.

Thank you for your help and insights!

Hm I see another way you could've done this.

You know : [itex]\forall ε'>0, \exists N' \space | \space n>N' \Rightarrow |a_n - 0| < ε'[/itex]

Simply because you are given that an → 0.

You want : [itex]\forall ε>0, \exists N \space | \space n>N \Rightarrow |a_{n}^{2} - 0| < ε[/itex]

So take what you want and massage it a bit :

[itex]|a_{n}^{2} - 0| = |a_{n}^{2}| = a_{n}^{2} ≤ ε \Rightarrow a_n ≤ \sqrt{ε}[/itex]

Now choosing [itex]ε' = \sqrt{ε}[/itex], what happens?

Zondrina said:
Now choosing [itex]ε' = \sqrt{ε}[/itex], what happens?

It implies that [itex] a_n^2 < \varepsilon [/itex].

So now I am trying to extend this to;
Given [itex] \{a_n\}\rightarrow L[/itex] show that [itex] \{a_n^2\}\rightarrow L^2[/itex]. I have been playing around a bit and have come up with two ideas:

Making the standard assumption:
[tex] |a_n^2-L^2| = |a_n^2-a_nL-a_nL+L^2+a_nL-L^2+a_nL-L^2
= |(a_n-L)^2 +2L(a_n-L)| < \varepsilon ^2 + 2L\varepsilon [/tex].

I'm not 100% sure what can be done with that or that it implies anything based on the assumption that for n>N [itex]\{a_n\}\rightarrow L[/itex].

My other idea is this:

[tex] |a_n^2-L^2|=|a_n^2-a_nL+a_nL-L^2| \leq |a_n^2-a_nL|+|a_nL-L^2|
=|a_n||a_n-L|+|L||a_n-L|
[/tex]

If we now that [itex] \{a_n\}\rightarrow L[/itex] and set up our hypothesis so that [itex]|a_n-L|<\frac{\varepsilon}{2|L|} [/itex] can we extend the stuff immediately above to [tex] |a_n||a_n-L|+|L||a_n-L| < |a_n||\frac{ε}{2L}|+|L||\frac{ε}{2L}| < |L||\frac{ε}{2L}|+|L||\frac{ε}{2L}| < ε. [/tex]

The above coming from the fact that the sequence is bounded by L.

dustbin said:
It implies that [itex] a_n^2 < \varepsilon [/itex].

Just like you wanted, right? So certainly we would have [itex]|a_{n}^{2} - 0| < ε[/itex] which would complete your proof.

Most of these styles of proofs involve stating the definition you already know is true ( Usually because you are given one of your limits to be true and you can take it for granted ) and then proving the definition you want is also true by using the assumed definition.

As for your second question :

You know : [itex]\forall ε'>0, \exists N' \space | \space n>N' \Rightarrow |a_n - L| < ε'[/itex] ( This is your given limit you can take for granted ).

You want : [itex]\forall ε>0, \exists N \space | \space n>N \Rightarrow |a_{n}^{2} - L^2| < ε[/itex] ( This is the limit you want to prove by using the limit you're taking for granted.

I'll also tell you that your 'other idea' is the path you want to take.

dustbin said:
The above coming from the fact that the sequence is bounded by L.
No, this isn't necessarily true. [itex]a_n \rightarrow L[/itex] does not imply [itex]|a_n| \leq |L|[/itex]. Fortunately, you don't need [itex]|a_n|[/itex] to be bounded by [itex]|L|[/itex]. You just need it to be bounded by SOME bound, say [itex]M[/itex]. And this IS true: a convergent sequence is bounded. (Can you prove it?)

Thanks for the replies! I've thought about them and this is what I have come up with:

By hypothesis [itex]\{a_n\}\rightarrow L.[/itex] Since the limit of [itex]a_n[/itex] is L, we may chose [itex]N_2[/itex] such that [itex]\forall n>N_2 \Longrightarrow |a_n|<|L|+1[/itex]. Furthermore, given ε>0 we may choose [itex]N_1[/itex] such that

[tex] \forall n>N_1 \Longrightarrow |a_n-L|< \frac{\varepsilon}{2|L|+1} .[/tex]

Choose [itex]N=max(N_1,N_2)[/itex].

Then
[tex] \forall n>N \Longrightarrow |a_n^2-L^2|\leq |a_n-L|(|a_n|+|L|) \mbox{by triangle inequality} < \frac{\varepsilon}{2|L|+1}(|a_n|+|L|)< \frac{\varepsilon (2|L|+1)}{2|L|+1} = \varepsilon.[/tex]

I appreciate your feedback! Thanks much.

1. What is a sequence in Apostol Calculus Vol1 10.4.29?

A sequence in Apostol Calculus Vol1 10.4.29 refers to a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. Each number in the sequence is called a term, and the pattern or rule can be used to find the next term in the sequence.

2. How do you determine the limit of a sequence in Apostol Calculus Vol1 10.4.29?

The limit of a sequence in Apostol Calculus Vol1 10.4.29 can be determined by finding the behavior of the terms as the sequence approaches infinity. This can be done by using various techniques such as the squeeze theorem, the ratio test, or the root test.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent sequence in Apostol Calculus Vol1 10.4.29?

A convergent sequence in Apostol Calculus Vol1 10.4.29 is a sequence that has a limit, meaning the terms of the sequence approach a specific value as the sequence approaches infinity. On the other hand, a divergent sequence in Apostol Calculus Vol1 10.4.29 is a sequence that does not have a limit, meaning the terms of the sequence do not approach a specific value as the sequence approaches infinity.

4. How are sequences related to series in Apostol Calculus Vol1 10.4.29?

Sequences and series are closely related in Apostol Calculus Vol1 10.4.29. A series is the sum of the terms in a sequence, and the behavior and properties of a sequence can help determine the behavior and properties of the corresponding series. Additionally, the convergence or divergence of a sequence can determine the convergence or divergence of the corresponding series.

5. Can the terms of a sequence in Apostol Calculus Vol1 10.4.29 be modified?

Yes, the terms of a sequence in Apostol Calculus Vol1 10.4.29 can be modified by applying operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division to each term. However, it is important to note that modifying the terms of a sequence can also change the behavior and properties of the sequence, such as its convergence or divergence.