Apparent Depth of Light Bulb above Water and Mirror

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the apparent depth of a light bulb's image produced by a mirror in a tank of water. The equations d=d'/n and s=-s' are mentioned, and the attempted solution involves considering the actual distance from the mirror to the light bulb multiplied by the refractive index of water. The confusion arises in determining the appropriate object distance for the mirror. The other person suggests considering the mirror as a sheet of clear glass and determining the apparent distance of the light bulb's image to an observer at different points.
Santino Torres

Homework Statement

Hey, so there is a light bulb above a tank of water which has a mirror at the bottom. I am trying to find the apparent depth of the image of the light produced by the mirror. Finding the apparent depth of the mirror is easy, but I am confused on what to consider the object distance for the mirror to find the image distance. Should it be the apparent depth of the light bulb looking from the water (doesn't seem right)?

Homework Equations

The given equations were d=d'/n
& s=-s'

The Attempt at a Solution

So I would have s = (the actual distance from the mirror to the light bulb)(n of water)
so the apparent depth of the image would be {s+(the actual depth of the mirror)}/n below the surface of the water
Does this seem right or am I way off? Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely sure what you are proposing, but it doesn't seem right.
Pretend the mirror is just a sheet of clear glass, that there is a real light bulb where the image is, and correspondingly a depth of water below the glass and an airspace below that. I.e. The entire mirror image is real. Label upper light bulb L, upper water surface W, galss sheet G, then W' and L' for water surface and light bulb below. What would the distance of L' appear to be to an observer at W'? To an observer at G? And so forth.

1. What is the Apparent Depth of a Light Bulb above Water and Mirror?

The Apparent Depth of a Light Bulb above Water and Mirror refers to the perceived depth of the light bulb when viewed from above the water and reflected in a mirror. It is different from the actual depth of the light bulb due to the refraction and reflection of light.

2. How is the Apparent Depth of a Light Bulb above Water and Mirror calculated?

The Apparent Depth of a Light Bulb above Water and Mirror is calculated using the laws of refraction and reflection. The apparent depth can be determined by measuring the actual depth of the light bulb, the refractive index of water, and the angle of incidence and reflection of light on the mirror.

3. What factors affect the Apparent Depth of a Light Bulb above Water and Mirror?

The Apparent Depth of a Light Bulb above Water and Mirror is affected by several factors including the actual depth of the light bulb, the refractive index of water, the angle of incidence and reflection of light, and the optical properties of the mirror. Changes in any of these factors can alter the apparent depth of the light bulb.

4. How does the Apparent Depth of a Light Bulb above Water and Mirror change with different angles of incidence and reflection?

The Apparent Depth of a Light Bulb above Water and Mirror changes with different angles of incidence and reflection. When the angle of incidence is increased, the angle of reflection also increases, resulting in a greater apparent depth. On the other hand, when the angle of incidence is decreased, the angle of reflection decreases and the apparent depth appears to be shallower.

5. What is the significance of understanding the Apparent Depth of a Light Bulb above Water and Mirror?

Understanding the Apparent Depth of a Light Bulb above Water and Mirror is important in various scientific fields such as optics, physics, and oceanography. It helps to explain the phenomenon of refraction and reflection of light and how it can affect the perception of depth in different mediums. It also has practical applications in designing and engineering optical devices and underwater imaging systems.