Snell's law question with a twist....

In summary: This means that the light will be totally internally reflected and the apparent depth will not change. In summary, the solution to this problem involves considering the critical angle for total internal reflection between the two media, as this will result in the apparent depth becoming independent of the actual depth.
L-x

Homework Statement

https://gyazo.com/f8cf156e7bd2f2511e3fa859e3732fe6
upload_2018-2-21_21-38-9.png

Homework Equations

Snell's law.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm mostly confused about the relevance of the second medium (of index n2) given that the distance between the ring and the boundary is "small". Having attempted to find an epxression for the apparent depth as a function of d which ignored the second boundary except that the observed knew the ring was next to it (and therefore that the apparent depth was L/tan(Θ_0) - h, I ended up with the apparent depth being equal to
d/n1 cos(Θ_1) / cos(Θ_0), the rate of change of which is only 0 when cos (Θ_1) is 0, i.e. the ring is on the surface of the water. This is clearly wrong, but I'm a loss at how to include the information about a second medium. Ray diagrams assuming the ring is some distance δ<<L into the second medium have left me with more unknowns and further from a solution...

Edit: it looks like I at least didn't make a mistake with the formula for apparent depth ignoring the second medium, as some googling provided me with a formula for apparent depth in terms of depth and theta_1 which is a trivial re-arrangement of the equation I mentioned above.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-21_21-38-9.png
    upload_2018-2-21_21-38-9.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,173
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The apparent depth formula that you quoted is not independent of the actual depth. You are looking for a solution where the apparent depth becomes independent (at some point) of how far down the ring sinks. How can that happen? Hint: What happens to a ray that is incident at the critical angle for total internal reflection between media 2 and 1? Draw a ray diagram of the path it would follow until it emerges from the surface of medium 1.

Thanks! I can see now that as the ring falls deeper, the angle light from the ring makes with the boundary between the two media approaches 90, and therefore the angle that the light ray makes with the other side of the boundary approaches the critical angle.

1. What is Snell's law and how does it relate to light refraction?

Snell's law is a formula that describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction when light passes through a boundary between two different mediums. It states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of light in the two mediums.

2. Can Snell's law be applied to mediums other than air and water?

Yes, Snell's law can be applied to any two mediums as long as they have different refractive indices. This includes solids, gases, and other liquids.

3. How can Snell's law be used to calculate the refractive index of a material?

Snell's law can be rearranged to solve for the refractive index of a material by dividing the sine of the angle of incidence by the sine of the angle of refraction. This value can then be compared to the known refractive index of a material to determine its value.

4. Can Snell's law be used to predict the path of light in complex systems?

Yes, Snell's law can be used to predict the path of light in complex systems by breaking them down into smaller, simpler systems and applying the law to each individual boundary between mediums. The overall path of light can then be determined by combining the results from each individual boundary.

5. Are there any limitations to Snell's law?

Snell's law only applies to light passing through boundaries between two mediums. It does not take into account factors such as absorption, scattering, or multiple reflections. Additionally, it assumes that the light is passing through a homogeneous medium and that the surface is smooth and flat.