Apparent power, true power, reactive power and power factor

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of apparent power, true power, reactive power, and power factor using the formulas S=VI and S=17684.5 at an angle of 135. The power factor is determined to be -0.707, but there is confusion about the sign convention for power and whether the angle between V and I can be more than 90 degrees. The discussion also considers the different scenarios for a load and a power source, and how the direction of current affects the sign of active power.
nothing909
I calculated the apparent power, true power, reactive power and power factor by using:

S=VI
S=17684.5 at an angle of 135

In rectangular, that's = -1261.83+j1261.83This is probably a stupid question, but I have

S= 17684.5
P= - 1261.83
Q=1261.83

power factor = -0.707

In the marking instructions, it has the real power (P) as 1261.83 instead of what I've got - NEGATIVE 1261.83

Also, the power factor in the marking instructions is 0.707, not negative 0.707. When I calculate the power factor by simply doing cos(135, I get a negative.

Do I just not include the negatives or what, I don't understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
nothing909 said:
S=17684.5 at an angle of 135

135 relative to what?

You get to choose the direction of +I which determines the direction of +P. If you don't like the sign, choose the other direction.

anorlunda said:
135 relative to what?

You get to choose the direction of +I which determines the direction of +P. If you don't like the sign, choose the other direction.
So my answers are correct, it can be - or +?

nothing909 said:
So my answers are correct, it can be - or +?
it also depends on whether you are talking about power supplied or power used.

If you are referring to a load, saying it has -700W used is wrong (in most cases). Make sure it is correct in the context of the question asked.

In my opinion if 135 degrees is the angle between V and I then it is wrong because maximum possible it is only

90 degrees-positive or negative. Conventionally, if the current lags the voltage -inductive load-then the angle

positive and if it is capacitive it is negative. In any case cosines is positive but sinus could be positive or negative

So P has to be positive always. Q may be negative.

It seems to me it is not the right voltage [it is not the same phase as the current].

The load could be:

pure resistive cosfi=1 sinfi=0 fi=0 degrees

pure inductive: cosfi=0 sinfi=1 fi=+90 degrees

pure capacitive cosfi=0 sinfi=-1 fi=-90 degrees

If it would be mixed load then the angle could be more than -90 and less than +90

It depends on the reference direction you chose.If you considered a load,and the reference direction of current is entering towards positive reference terminal of load voltage you will not get an angle more than 90 degree, and the active power(absorbed) is always positive.However for a power source,angle more than 90 is possible and you will get negative active power in that case.This means source is supplying power.

So if your example refers to a load, you chose the current reference direction away from positive reference direction of load voltage and hence negative active power.Because in this case VICos(phi) referes to active power supplied, which is negative for a load.
If your example is of a power source, it possible for the source to absorb or provide active power.In that case it depends on how you chose current direction.If you chose current direction away from positive terminal and still you got negative active power, it means source is absorbing power.
I

If it is about a generator and V it is the output voltage, I agree with it. According to the sign convention the active power P is negative-if the generator supply the power, as usual. Of course, in a fault case, the generator turns into a motor and the power-maintaining the same sign rule-could be positive.
However, in my opinion, the angle between I and V cannot be more than 90 degrees-or less than -90.

1. What is the difference between apparent power and true power?

Apparent power is the total power that is supplied to a circuit, while true power is the actual power that is consumed by the circuit. Apparent power includes both the real and reactive components of power, while true power only includes the real component.

2. What is reactive power and how is it different from true power?

Reactive power is the power that is required to establish and maintain the electric and magnetic fields in an alternating current (AC) circuit. It is different from true power because it does not contribute to the actual energy consumed by the circuit, but rather bounces back and forth between the source and load.

3. How is power factor related to apparent power and true power?

Power factor is the ratio of true power to apparent power, and it represents how efficiently a circuit is using the power that is being supplied. A power factor of 1 means that all the power supplied is being used effectively, while a power factor less than 1 means that there is reactive power present in the circuit.

4. How can power factor be improved?

Power factor can be improved by adding power factor correction devices, such as capacitors, to the circuit. These devices help to reduce the amount of reactive power and increase the power factor, resulting in a more efficient use of power.

5. Why is it important to understand the differences between apparent power, true power, reactive power, and power factor?

Understanding these concepts is important for efficient energy usage, as well as for maintaining the stability of the power grid. By optimizing power factor and minimizing reactive power, we can reduce energy waste and lower electricity costs. Additionally, having a good understanding of these concepts is necessary for troubleshooting and maintaining electrical systems.