Applicability of Furry's theorem

• I
  • Thread starter CAF123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the diagram contains a fermion loop coupled to three vectors due to Furry's theorem, which states that the sum of the diagram and its reversed fermion flow counterpart is always zero. This is because the blob in the diagram represents a hadronic state and the fermion loop represents arbitrary complicated soft dynamics. Additionally, Furry's theorem is applicable for both off shell and on shell photons/gluons attached to a fermion loop.
CAF123
Gold Member
The diagram below, together with its reversed fermion flow diagram counterpart, collectively sum to zero due to Furry's theorem. I just wanted to understand why this is the case.

1)There are two gluons and one photon attached to the internal line so this is 3 coupled vector current insertions (1 QED and 2 QCD).

2) The blob represents a hadronic state. Why does the diagram contain a fermion loop coupled to the 3 vectors? I thought the blob always stood for arbitrary complicated soft dynamics that we are naive about and just 'put under the rug' so I don't see why it necessarily must be a simple closure of the fermion line shown.

Attachments

• furry.png
    furry.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 555
Physics news on Phys.org
I understand now the answer to the original question asked. But I was also wondering, and perhaps this is a simpler question, is Furry’s theorem applicable for both off shell and on shell photons/gluons attached to a fermion loop? Since it is usually applied at the loop level I would say yes and I don’t see any reason why not with regards to the time ordered correlator of currents definition.

1. What is Furry's theorem?

Furry's theorem is a mathematical theorem in quantum mechanics that states that if a Hamiltonian operator remains invariant under a certain symmetry transformation, then the eigenvalues of the operator are degenerate in pairs.

2. How is Furry's theorem applied in scientific research?

Furry's theorem is commonly used in theoretical physics and quantum mechanics to study the energy states of subatomic particles and their interactions. It has also been applied in the field of condensed matter physics to understand the behavior of complex systems.

3. Are there any limitations to the applicability of Furry's theorem?

Yes, Furry's theorem is restricted to systems with specific symmetries, such as time-reversal and space-inversion symmetries. It also assumes that the system is in a vacuum state and that the interactions between particles are described by the Hamiltonian operator.

4. Can Furry's theorem be generalized to other fields of science?

While Furry's theorem was originally developed in the context of quantum mechanics, it has also been applied in other fields such as statistical mechanics and thermodynamics. However, its applicability may be limited in these fields due to the specific assumptions and symmetries required.

5. What are some recent advancements in the understanding of Furry's theorem?

Recent studies have focused on extending Furry's theorem to non-Hermitian systems and exploring its applications in topological insulators and superconductors. There has also been research on the relevance of Furry's theorem in understanding the quantum behavior of black holes.