How Does Differentiation Relate to Polynomial Inequalities?

In summary, the problem involves proving that |a_1 + 2a_2 + ... + na_n| <= 1, given the condition that |p(x)| <= |e^{x-1} - 1| for all x >= 0. Using the definition of a derivative and knowing that p(1) = 0, the solution involves showing that p'(1) = a_1 + 2a_2 + ... + na_n is less than or equal to 1.
phoenixXL

Homework Statement

Suppose [itex]p(x)\ =\ a_0\ +\ a_1x\ +\ a_2x^2\ +\ ...\ + a_nx^n[/itex].

Now if [itex]|p(x)|\ <=\ |e^{x-1}\ -\ 1|[/itex] for all [itex]x\ >=\ 0[/itex] then

Prove [itex]|a_1\ +\ 2a_2\ +\ ...\ + na_n|\ <=\ 1[/itex].

2. Relevant Graph( [itex]|e^{x-1}\ -\ 1|[/itex] )
w8qi9s.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

From the graph we can conclude that
p(x) should pass through (1,0)
=> [itex]a_1\ +\ a_2\ +\ ...\ + a_n\ =\ 0[/itex]

Further, I'm not able to apply any other condition given to simplify the expression. Their is of course something to do with the derivative as I found this question in a book of differentiation.
Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the derivative of p(x)?

Have you copied the problem correctly?

ehild

Last edited:
Have you copied the problem correctly?
Sorry, there isn't x in the proof
I have corrected the problem.

[itex]p'(x)\ =\ a_1\ +\ 2a_2x\ +\ 3a_3x^2\ +\ ...\ +\ na_nx^{n-1}[/itex]

Last edited:
Perhaps it's [itex]p'(1) =\ a_1\ +\ 2a_2\ +\ 3a_3\ +\ ...\ +\ na_n[/itex]

phoenixXL said:
[itex]p'(x)\ =\ a_1\ +\ 2a_2\ +\ 3a_3\ +\ ...\ +\ na_n[/itex]

That is not the correct derivative of ##p(x)##. The derivative should have some variables ##x##.

phoenixXL said:
From the graph we can conclude that
p(x) should pass through (1,0)
=> [itex]a_1\ +\ a_2\ +\ ...\ + a_n\ =\ 0[/itex]

wrong. note that p passing through (1,0) means that [itex]p(1)=a_0+a_1+\cdots +a_n=0\Rightarrow a_0=-(a_1+\cdots +a_n)[/itex]

Last edited:
benorin said:
wrong. note that p passing through (1,0) means that [itex]p(1)=a_0+a_1+\cdots +a_n=0\Rightarrow a_0=-(a_1+\cdots +a_n)[/itex]

right I messed with it. Additionally I don't know why I'm not able to edit the first post.

micromass said:
That is not the correct derivative of ##p(x)##. The derivative should have some variables ##x##.
I corrected it. Thanks.

If I could just prove that the inequality of the funciton
i.e. [itex]|p(x)|\ <=\ |e^{x-1}\ −\ 1|[/itex]
also holds true for the derivative
i.e. [itex](|p(x)|)'\ <=\ (|e^{x-1}\ −\ 1|)'[/itex]
then I could just substitute x = 1 and prove the question.

But I just couldn't formulate how to deduce from the given conditions to that part.
Any Ideas ?

.../

As you noted, p(1) = 0, so you can say that
$$\lvert p(x) - p(1) \rvert \le \lvert e^{x-1}-1 \rvert.$$ Now consider the definition of a derivative as a limit of a difference quotient and write down the expression for p'(1). Do you see the connection now?

Likes 1 person
Do you see the connection now?
Right.

[tex]p'(1)\ =\ lim_{h\rightarrow0}\frac{p(1+h)-p(1)}{h}\\
\implies a_1+2a_2+3a_3+...+na_n\ =\ lim_{h\rightarrow0}\frac{p(1+h)}{h},\ as\ p(1)\ =\ 0
[/tex]
I was able to solve it.
Thank you for your time

Related to How Does Differentiation Relate to Polynomial Inequalities?

1. What is the purpose of using derivatives in scientific applications?

Derivatives are used to describe the rate of change of a function, or how a function is changing at a specific point. In scientific applications, derivatives are used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay.

2. How are derivatives used in physics?

In physics, derivatives are used to describe the velocity and acceleration of an object at a specific point in time. They are also used to calculate the slope of a curve in a graph, which can provide insights into the behavior of a system.

3. Can derivatives be used in biology?

Yes, derivatives are used in biology to describe the rate of change of various biological processes, such as population growth, enzyme activity, and hormone levels. They are also used in genetics to analyze the changes in gene expression over time.

4. What are some real-world applications of derivatives?

Some real-world applications of derivatives include predicting stock market trends, optimizing production processes in manufacturing, and modeling the spread of diseases in epidemiology. They are also used in engineering to design and improve structures and systems.

5. How do derivatives relate to calculus?

Derivatives are a fundamental concept in calculus and are used to calculate the rate of change of a function. They are also used in integration, which is the reverse process of finding the original function from its derivative. Calculus and derivatives are essential tools in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.