Application of Newtons laws (Friction related) check my solutions please

In summary: The block starts from a position of rest and after 2 seconds its has a velocity of 1.6 m/s [forward]. The coefficient of friction is 0.64. Using v1= 0 and v2 over T, the child exerts a force of 4.51 N on the block.
supernova1203
Application of Newtons laws (Friction related) check my solutions please :)

Dont forget to check the diagram, as it will probably help you see the problem correctly, don't worry, no need to download diagram attachment to view it.

Homework Statement

A child pushes a block of wood with a mass of 0.72 kg across a smooth table. The block starts from a position of rest and after 2 seconds its has a velocity of 1.6 m/s [forward]
The coefficient of friction is 0.64.

35a) Draw a free body diagram
- I drew the diagram and its in the attachment, don't worry you needn't downloading it to view it-

35b) Find the net force acting on the block of wood.

35c) Find the force of friction acting on the block of wood.

35d) Find the force with which the child actually pushes on the block of wood.

Homework Equations

F=mg
This is primarily to find Fn and Fg and the amount of force is exherted by a mass.

Ff=[itex]\mu[/itex]Fn

This is to find force of friction, but strangely enough a lot of times in the course it can also be used to find force applied...this is something that has always perplexed me

The Attempt at a Solution

35a)
we use F=mg to find force normal, which is also Fg

=(0.72)(9.8)
F=7.056 N

we use the coefficient of friction and Fn to find force of friction, which is also force applied.

Ff=[itex]\mu[/itex]Fn

Ff=(0.64)(7.056)

Ff= 4.51 N

Using this information we added magnitudes to our free body diagram (actual numbers in addition to just the directions/vectors) as shown in the diagram.

35b)

Fnet=0 N

Since
F left - F right = 0 N

35c)

Ff=4.51 N as we have already found this.

35d)

Fa=4.51 N

Thanks for checking all this, let me know if its right or not, if its not, please tell me how do to fix the solutions :)

thanks

Attachments

• Lesson 11 question 2.jpg
    Lesson 11 question 2.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 568
Physics news on Phys.org
hi supernova1203! :smile:

for questions like this, you must start by finding the acceleration

(and your free body diagram is wrong …

ma is certainly not equal to the friction)​

can i use F=ma in this scenario to find net force? Iv used it before successfully in similar problems to find net force.

Using v1= 0 and v2 over T

I can find acceleration, and since i have mass i can re arrange to find force? Which in this case is net force?#edit

Any way you can show me how to find applied force in this case so i can find net force for 35b)?

Last edited:

supernova1203 said:
The block starts from a position of rest and after 2 seconds its has a velocity of 1.6 m/s [forward]

Sounds like the block is accelerating, so there is some net force in that direction. It looks like you've already noticed this and realized you can find the net force (F=ma will work once you get acceleration, look up kinematic equations if necessary). Once you get that, you already calculated the frictional force so you can use those two to find the applied force.

There's a reason they asked for the net force first! :)

And just to be clear, when using F = ma, with 'a' being the total acceleration, then F is the sum of all forces applied to the block. If you were working with vectors, you'd be looking at both X and Y axes when using F = ma. But, you know that acceleration is zero on the Y axis (sitting on ground), so you can just examine the acceleration on the X axis. Calculating force from the X axis acceleration will of course only yield F (sum of the forces) on the X axis. There could be a million forces acting on the block on the X axis but the sum of those forces would be F. In your case there's only two forces on the X axis (friction/applied) summing to get F.

Last edited:

neato! so i guess i figured it out! Thanks for the confirmation!

supernova1203 said:
neato! so i guess i figured it out! Thanks for the confirmation!

but you haven't found the acceleration :redface:
tiny-tim said:
for questions like this, you must start by finding the acceleration
Kavik said:
… (F=ma will work once you get acceleration, look up kinematic equations if necessary). Once you get that, …

i found solved the problem already, my laptop stopped working on me however, and i couldn't post, i also found acceleration :)

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three physical laws that describe the relationship between the motion of an object and the forces acting on it. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How does friction relate to Newton's laws?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. It is caused by the interaction between two surfaces in contact. Friction is related to Newton's laws because it is a force that acts on an object and affects its motion. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force, and friction is one of the external forces that can cause an object to move. The second law states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration, and friction is one of the forces that can change an object's acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, and friction is a reaction force that occurs when two surfaces come in contact.

3. What are some real-life examples of friction in action?

Some examples of friction in action include walking or running on the ground, riding a bike, driving a car, and rubbing your hands together to create heat. Friction is also present in sports, such as when a soccer ball rolls on the ground or when a basketball bounces on the court. In engineering, friction is important in designing brakes for vehicles and creating grip for tires. It is also essential in everyday tasks, such as writing with a pencil, using a screwdriver, or opening a jar lid.

4. How does friction affect the motion of an object?

Friction can either increase or decrease the motion of an object, depending on the direction of the force. When the force of friction is in the opposite direction of the object's motion, it can cause the object to slow down or come to a stop. This is known as kinetic friction. On the other hand, when the force of friction is in the same direction as the object's motion, it can help the object move or maintain its speed. This is known as static friction. Friction also plays a role in determining the amount of force needed to move an object or keep it in motion.

5. How can we reduce friction in practical applications?

There are several ways to reduce friction in practical applications. One way is to use lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a slippery surface between two objects in contact. Another way is to use smoother materials, such as ball bearings, to reduce the surface area and contact between two objects. In some cases, adding wheels or rollers to an object can also reduce friction. Additionally, increasing the smoothness of surfaces, such as polishing or coating them, can also reduce friction. However, it is not always desirable to reduce friction, as it plays a crucial role in many everyday tasks and functions.