Applications of algebraic expressions

MatinSAR
Homework Statement
If ##x+1/x=a## and ##x^{1394}+\frac {1}{x^{1394}}=b## and ##x^{1396}+\frac {1}{x^{1396}}=c## then what is ##x^{1398}+\frac {1}{x^{1398}}## equal to?
Relevant Equations
Empty.
Hello. This is my answer:
https://up.maralhost.com/imagef-37f78ec7d1bd1-jpg.html
Can someone tell me If I am wrong?

Book's answer:
2023_08_11 11_37 PM Office Lens.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MatinSAR said:
Homework Statement: If ##x+1/x=a## and ##x^{1394}+\frac {1}{x^{1394}}=b## and ##x^{1396}+\frac {1}{x^{1396}}=c## then what is ##x^{1398}+\frac {1}{x^{1398}}## equal to?
Relevant Equations: Empty.

Hello. This is my answer:
View attachment 330406
Can someone tell me If I am wrong?

Book's answer:
View attachment 330408
The book answer appears simple and unimpeachable to me.

Likes MatinSAR
PeroK said:
The book answer appears simple and unimpeachable to me.
Thanks for your reply.
You were not able to understand my answer(I am sorry it was not clear) or it was compeletly wrong?

More clear explanations and better quality:

Last edited:
MatinSAR said:
Thanks for your reply.
You were not able to understand my answer(I am sorry it was not clear) or it was compeletly wrong?

More clear explanations and better quality:
That looks like an alternative. ##a,b,c## are related, so there must be several different identities hidden there.

Likes MatinSAR
PeroK said:
That looks like an alternative. ##a,b,c## are related, so there must be several different identities hidden there.
Thank you again. For taking time to help me...
I will try to find a link between 2 answers. If it was successful I will inform...

Likes BvU
PeroK said:
Yes, it is a poor question. E.g. you could solve the quadratic to find x as a function of a then plug that in.
It should be structured as "show that".

Likes MatinSAR

What are some real-life applications of algebraic expressions?

Algebraic expressions are used in many fields, including finance, engineering, and computer science. Examples of real-life applications include calculating interest rates, designing structures, and writing computer programs.

How can algebraic expressions be used to solve problems?

Algebraic expressions can be used to represent and manipulate quantities in mathematical equations. By solving these equations, we can find unknown values and solve problems in various contexts.

What is the difference between an algebraic expression and an algebraic equation?

An algebraic expression is a mathematical phrase that contains numbers, variables, and operations. An algebraic equation, on the other hand, contains an equal sign and is used to show the relationship between two expressions.

What are some common algebraic operations used in applications?

The most common algebraic operations used in applications include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Other operations, such as exponents and radicals, are also frequently used in more advanced applications.

How can understanding algebraic expressions be useful in everyday life?

Understanding algebraic expressions can help us make sense of and solve problems in everyday life. For example, we can use algebra to calculate discounts while shopping, determine the best cell phone plan, or even plan a budget.