Applied Mathematics MS with Aero Engineering BS

In summary, the individual is interested in pursuing a master's degree in applied mathematics with a focus on computational fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and statistical data analysis. They are looking for programs that accept aeronautical engineers and offer a tuition waiver and stipend. They are not fond of proofs and are unsure about the requirements for an applied math degree. They plan to make a list of top programs and contact the departments for further information.
HuskyNamedNala
I have noticed in the last few months that my interests are moving towards applied mathematics and computing as opposed to engineering. My favorite subjects fluid mechanics, but sadly the aerospace industry is dead (ie, there haven't been many new advances in the last 30 years).

I want to get a masters degree in applied mathematics, with a focus on computational fluid dynamics and heat transfer or something in statistical data analysis since I like statistics (and want to learn stochastic calculus in my free time) and data and finding patterns.

But, I have no idea where to look for applied math programs that might take an aeronautical engineer. A tuition waiver and stipend is also a must for whatever program I enter.

As I side note. I hate proofs. I took an introduction to proofs class my sophomore year and hated it. I know Ill probably have to take one proof course, but I am not sure the extent to which it would be required for an applied math degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
Make a list of your top 10-15 programs and contact the departments. No one can answer the question better than them :)

Likes xyla

Related to Applied Mathematics MS with Aero Engineering BS

1. What is the difference between a BS in Aero Engineering and an MS in Applied Mathematics with a focus on Aero Engineering?

The BS in Aero Engineering focuses on the practical application and design of aircraft and aerospace systems, while the MS in Applied Mathematics with a focus on Aero Engineering delves into the mathematical principles and theories behind these applications. The MS program also provides advanced training in computational methods and data analysis that can be applied to a variety of fields, including aero engineering.

2. What job opportunities are available with a degree in Applied Mathematics MS with Aero Engineering BS?

Graduates with this degree have a wide range of job opportunities in the aerospace industry, including roles in design, testing, and analysis of aerospace systems. They can also work in research and development, using mathematical models and simulations to improve aircraft and spacecraft designs. Additionally, this degree can open doors to opportunities in other industries, such as finance, data science, and engineering consulting.

3. Can this degree program be completed online or does it require on-campus attendance?

Many universities offer online or hybrid options for this degree program, but it ultimately depends on the specific institution. Some programs may require a combination of online and in-person courses, while others may be fully online. It is important to research and compare different universities to find the best fit for your needs.

4. Is a strong background in mathematics required for this degree?

While a strong foundation in mathematics is beneficial for success in this degree program, it is not always required. Many universities offer prerequisite courses or bridge programs to help students without a strong math background catch up before starting the program. It is important to review the curriculum and prerequisites of the specific program you are interested in to determine if it is a good fit for your academic background.

5. What skills will I gain from this degree program?

Students in this degree program will develop advanced mathematical and analytical skills that can be applied to a variety of fields. They will also gain expertise in computational methods and data analysis, as well as a deep understanding of the principles and theories behind aero engineering. Graduates will also have strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills that are highly valued by employers.