Applying Mech Enginneering for an Independent Project

In summary, a high school senior is seeking advice on a mechanical engineering project to pursue over the summer. One suggestion is to design and build a robotic unicycle, which would involve research and development of necessary technology. The individual is encouraged to seek help from knowledgeable members of Physics Forums.
alexjc103
Hello,
I am a senior in high school as of Fall 2012 and I am new to PF. Currently I'm self studying physics in preparation for the AP exam( I am aiming for C Mech, if i am prepared in time)and am taking calculus BC. My goal is to take up a project over the summer in which i could apply mechanical engineering skills, where i could get an insight into mechanical engineering while i learn the skills necessary to complete the project. I'm having trouble deciding upon a project and my search is the reason I have come across PF. Could you please give me an example of such a project that is challenging yet manageable by someone just entering the world of mechanical engineering. Your response would be much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
alexjc103, Welcome to Physics Forums!

How about designing and building a robotic (remote control) unicycle? Not that the item itself would be useful, but researching, designing, and building all the technology necessary would be the value.

Thanks Bobbywhy, your answer is much appreciated. I now have to research and get started on my project.

alexjc103 said:
Thanks Bobbywhy, your answer is much appreciated. I now have to research and get started on my project.

If you encounter doubts, conflicting information, or technical questions, then come right back here and ask away. Here there are members with high levels of education, or experience, and both. All are ready to assist you. Let us know what project you decide on.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

1. What is the process for selecting an independent project in mechanical engineering?

The first step in selecting an independent project in mechanical engineering is to identify your interests and skills. From there, you can research different project ideas and consult with your advisor to determine the feasibility and potential impact of each project. Once you have narrowed down your options, you can make a decision based on your goals and available resources.

2. How should I approach the design and planning phase of my independent project?

The design and planning phase of an independent project in mechanical engineering should involve conducting thorough research, creating detailed project plans, and considering potential challenges and solutions. It is important to also consult with experts in the field and gather feedback from peers and advisors to ensure a successful project outcome.

3. What are some common challenges I may face during my independent project?

Some common challenges during an independent project in mechanical engineering may include limited resources, unexpected setbacks, and technical difficulties. It is important to plan ahead and have contingency plans in place to address these challenges. Additionally, seeking guidance and support from mentors and peers can also help overcome these challenges.

4. How can I ensure the success of my independent project in mechanical engineering?

To ensure the success of your independent project, it is important to set clear goals and objectives, establish a realistic timeline, and communicate effectively with your team and advisors. Regularly reviewing and evaluating your progress can also help identify any potential issues and make necessary adjustments.

5. What are some potential benefits of completing an independent project in mechanical engineering?

Completing an independent project in mechanical engineering can provide numerous benefits, including gaining practical experience, developing problem-solving and critical thinking skills, and building a strong portfolio for future career opportunities. It can also demonstrate your passion and dedication to the field and set you apart from other candidates in the job market.