Applying Newtons laws ( Equilibrium)

In summary, a 26.21 kg loudspeaker is suspended 1.15 m below the ceiling by two 3.91-m-long cables that angle outward at equal angles. The tension in the cables can be found by using the equation 1/2 weight/Sine(angle) or by calculating the ratio of vertical and horizontal forces. The angle between the cables is 17 degrees, and the tension in each cable is equal to half the weight of the speaker divided by the sine of 17 degrees. The horizontal component of the tension is equal to 26.21 kg multiplied by the cosine of 17 degrees.
sktgurl930

Homework Statement

A 26.21 kg loudspeaker is suspended 1.15 m below the ceiling by two 3.91-m-long cables that angle outward at equal angles. What is the tension in the cables?

Homework Equations

I have no idea

The Attempt at a Solution

well i know that i have the weight which is 26.21 kg and how far its is from the ceiling
and that I am trying to find N but i just don't kno wat equation to use but once i find N would i have to divide by 2 since there's 2 cables??

Physics news on Phys.org
sktgurl930 said:

Homework Statement

A 26.21 kg loudspeaker is suspended 1.15 m below the ceiling by two 3.91-m-long cables that angle outward at equal angles. What is the tension in the cables?

Homework Equations

I have no idea

The Attempt at a Solution

well i know that i have the weight which is 26.21 kg and how far its is from the ceiling
and that I am trying to find N but i just don't kno wat equation to use but once i find N would i have to divide by 2 since there's 2 cables??

Figure what angles the cables make holding the speaker first.

Then draw your vector diagram of the tensions and resolve the x and y components. You know the X direction components must add to 0 and the Y components muust add to the 26.21 kg.

ok so would the angles be 17 since they are equal angles??

and i got 17 by making a right triangle with 3.91 being the hypotenuse, and since the speaker is 1.15m away from the ceiling making that one of the sides of the triangle with the right angle.

im i right?? or totally off

im not going to lie I am teacher isn't very good at teaching
so i have no idea wat ur talkin about with x and y

please don't hate me

sktgurl930 said:
ok so would the angles be 17 since they are equal angles??

and i got 17 by making a right triangle with 3.91 being the hypotenuse, and since the speaker is 1.15m away from the ceiling making that one of the sides of the triangle with the right angle.

im i right?? or totally off

That would be correct. It is 17 degrees. I get 17.1, but that's close enough.

So now you know that 1/2 the weight 26.21kg * 9.8 m/s2 is carried by the vertical component of the tension in the cable. As you noted each cable will carry 1/2.

If that vertical force must be carried in the cable then the tension must be = 1/2 weight/Sine(17).
(Answer in Newtons)

That treats the Tension as having 2 force components. One vertically (you found) and the other horizontally (given by 26.21*(Cos(17)). When added together as you would add vectors, that adds to the answer you just found. Since the speaker is not in motion, you know that the horizontal components are equal and opposite.

Another way to find the answer would be to recognize that

9.8*26.21*(1/2)/1.15 = Total Tension/3.91

This would be because the definition of Sine is Vertical over hypotenuse and those forces must remain in the same ratio, so ... you can exploit that as the quick way to calculate it as like ratios.

thank u and i wish u were my teacher dude ur a life saver!

1. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

3. How does Newton's third law of motion relate to equilibrium?

Newton's third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In terms of equilibrium, this means that when an object is in a state of equilibrium, the forces acting on it are balanced and the object is not accelerating in any direction.

4. How do you apply Newton's laws to determine if an object is in equilibrium?

To determine if an object is in equilibrium, you can use the equations from Newton's laws of motion. If the sum of all the forces acting on the object is equal to zero and there is no acceleration, the object is in equilibrium. This can also be visualized with a free body diagram, where all the forces acting on the object are represented by arrows.

5. Can Newton's laws be applied to non-inertial reference frames?

No, Newton's laws of motion are only applicable to inertial reference frames where there is no acceleration. In non-inertial reference frames, additional forces such as fictitious forces need to be taken into account to accurately describe the motion of objects.