When can internal reflection be used to find the index of refraction

In summary, an experiment using internal reflection and Snell's law can be used to determine the index of refraction of a material. By knowing the critical angle and the index of refraction of one material, the unknown index of the other material can be calculated experimentally by controlling the angle of incidence.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

I need to describe an experiment in which I would use internal reflection to determine the index of refraction of material

Homework Equations

Snell's law

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the concept of internal reflection, such as the critical angle etc. I am just unsure of what kind of experiment could let me determine the index of refraction

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cocoleia said:

Homework Statement

I need to describe an experiment in which I would use internal reflection to determine the index of refraction of material

Homework Equations

Snell's law

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the concept of internal reflection, such as the critical angle etc. I am just unsure of what kind of experiment could let me determine the index of refraction
Can you show us a diagram of the critical angle, and show us the equation you would use to calculate the angle for TIR?

And how is that angle dependent on the two indices of refraction of the two materials at the boundary?

berkeman said:
And how is that angle dependent on the two indices of refraction of the two materials at the boundary?
Critical angle = inverse sin(nr/ni
Once we reach the critical angle we will have total internal reflection.

Cocoleia said:
Critical angle = inverse sin(nr/ni
Once we reach the critical angle we will have total internal reflection.
So if you know the index for the lower index material, and can control the angle of incidence into the boundary, you should be able to determine the unknown index experimentally, right? :smile:

1. What is internal reflection?

Internal reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when light traveling through a medium reaches a boundary with a second medium and is completely reflected back into the first medium instead of being transmitted into the second medium.

2. How is internal reflection related to the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much the speed of light is reduced when it travels through a medium. Internal reflection can be used to determine the index of refraction because the angle at which it occurs depends on the index of refraction of the two mediums involved.

3. When can internal reflection be used to find the index of refraction?

Internal reflection can be used to find the index of refraction when light travels from a medium with a higher index of refraction to a medium with a lower index of refraction. In this case, the angle of incidence will be greater than the critical angle, allowing for total internal reflection to occur.

4. What are the limitations of using internal reflection to find the index of refraction?

Internal reflection can only be used to find the index of refraction in certain situations, as mentioned in the previous answer. It also assumes that the two mediums involved are transparent and smooth, and that the incident light is monochromatic.

5. Can internal reflection be used to find the index of refraction of all materials?

No, internal reflection can only be used to find the index of refraction of materials that allow for total internal reflection to occur. For example, it cannot be used for opaque materials or materials with a high index of refraction.