Approximating Integral via Power Series

In summary: But the integral is not on a compact set, and it is not obvious to me that we can interchange integral and sum. That's why I asked.(I agree that it is probably what the OP is expected to answer.)Yes, you are right. I was assuming that the question was just about the mechanics of integrating a power series term by term, rather than about the justification for doing so.
Amrator

Homework Statement

Approximate the integral to 3 decimal place accuracy via power series.

##\int_0^{1/2} x^2 e^{-x^2}\, dx ##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##x^2 e^{-x^2} = x^2 \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac {(-x)^{2n}}{n!} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac {x^{2n+2}}{n!}## ⇒ ##\int_0^{1/2} \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac {x^{2n+2}}{n!}\, dx = \left. \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac {x^{2n+3}}{(2n+3)n!} \right|_0^{1/2}##

Could I use the ratio test to approximate the error or do I have to use the alternating series test? I don't really see how I could use the alternating series test from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Amrator said:

Homework Statement

Approximate the integral to 3 decimal place accuracy via power series.

##\int_0^{1/2} x^2 e^{-x^2}\, dx ##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##x^2 e^{-x^2} = x^2 \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac {(-x)^{2n}}{n!} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac {x^{2n+2}}{n!}## ⇒ ##\int_0^{1/2} \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac {x^{2n+2}}{n!}\, dx = \left. \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac {x^{2n+3}}{(2n+3)n!} \right|_0^{1/2}##

Could I use the ratio test to approximate the error or do I have to use the alternating series test? I don't really see how I could use the alternating series test from here.
You messed up the algebra, which is why you don't end up with an alternating series.

Likes Amrator
I'll go over it again.

I don't see any algebraic mistakes. ##(-x)^{2n} = ((-x)^{2})^n = (x^2)^n = x^{2n}##
##x^2x^{2n} = x^{2n+2}##

Edit: Nevermind. I see the algebraic mistake.

How do you justify the inversion of ##\int## and ##\sum##?

geoffrey159 said:
What do you mean by inversion?

You exchanged ##\int## and ##\sum## in your first post, didn't you ? What is your justification for this ?

geoffrey159 said:
You exchanged ##\int## and ##\sum## in your first post, didn't you ? What is your justification for this ?
##e^x = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac {x^n}{n!}##
Let ##x = -x^2##
Multiply the series by ##x^2##, and simply integrate.

There is nothing simple about that, you have to prove it

You want me to prove the term by term integration theorem?

It's enough if you show that you have all the hypothesis that lead to your conclusion

geoffrey159 said:

Power series can always be integrated term-by-term within their radius of convergence because convergence of power series is uniform.

(Also the question itself appears to assume that one can do that, so the OP doesn't need to justify it as part of the answer.)

Likes Amrator
I agree, but it must be said somewhere, or proved

geoffrey159 said:
I'm in calculus 2, not analysis.

pasmith said:
Power series can always be integrated term-by-term within their radius of convergence because convergence of power series is uniform.

(Also the question itself appears to assume that one can do that, so the OP doesn't need to justify it as part of the answer.)

geoffrey159 said:
I agree with what pasmith said -- the OP doesn't need to justify interchanging the summation and integration operations.

Ok, it's fine for me :-)

@pasmith, convergence of the power serie is uniform on a compact set within the radius of convergence.

Related to Approximating Integral via Power Series

1. What is the concept of approximating integral via power series?

The concept of approximating integral via power series is a mathematical technique used to estimate the value of an integral (or area under a curve) by representing the integrand as a power series. This allows for a more simplified and computationally efficient method of calculating the integral.

2. How is a power series used to approximate integrals?

A power series is a mathematical expression that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms, each of which is a constant multiplied by a variable raised to a power. By manipulating and rearranging the terms of a power series, it is possible to approximate the value of an integral by using a finite number of terms.

3. What are the benefits of using power series to approximate integrals?

Using power series to approximate integrals has several benefits. It allows for a more accurate estimation of the integral compared to other methods, such as numerical integration. Additionally, it is a more efficient and faster method of calculation, making it useful in a variety of scientific and engineering fields.

4. What are some applications of approximating integrals via power series?

Approximating integrals via power series has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is commonly used in the study of differential equations, optimization problems, and modeling natural phenomena such as population growth or chemical reactions.

5. Are there any limitations to using power series to approximate integrals?

While power series are a powerful tool for approximating integrals, they do have some limitations. They may not always converge to the exact value of the integral, and the accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of terms used. Additionally, power series may not be applicable for all types of integrals, especially for those with highly oscillatory or discontinuous integrands.