Approximating Magnetic Field for Spinning Disk with Large Distance from Center

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying an equation involving the magnetic field strength B for a spinning disk with magnetic dipole moment μ and angular velocity ω. By using the binomial series to approximate the square root expression, the equation can be simplified to B ≈ (μ0/2π)(μ/x^3) when x is much larger than R.
hitemup

Homework Statement

I am asked to show that

[tex]B = \frac{\mu_0Q\omega}{2\pi R^2}[\frac{R^2+2x^2}{(R^2+x^2)^{1/2}}-2x][/tex]

simplifies to this

[tex]B \approx \frac{\mu_0}{2\pi}\frac{\mu}{x^3}[/tex]

if x>>R

where [itex]\mu[/itex] is the magnetic dipole moment for a disk spinning with angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex], which is

[tex]\mu = \frac{Q\omega R^2}{4}[/tex]

Homework Equations

GYza5r.png
[/B]

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I ignored the R^2 in the denominator since it has become a small quantity. Then I have (R^2+2x^2)/(sqrt(x^2)) -2x
From this I get R^2/x but this equation lacks the third degree of the x.
The book has a solution for this problem as I have posted but I didn't understand it either.

Physics news on Phys.org
hitemup said:
I ignored the R^2 in the denominator since it has become a small quantity.
Small, but not irrelevant - you subtract two "large" numbers with a small difference from each other, so the first order of the difference is relevant. See the second line in (2), where the (inverse) denominator gets expanded up to second order (the part with "...").

Likes hitemup
Likes hitemup
NascentOxygen said:
It looks like they are using the first few terms of the Binomial Series to approximate (a + x)

Have you come across the binomial series in your maths study? See the bottom half of this page: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/BinomialSeries.aspx
I learned it in high school and it was only for integers. This is something new but I'll try to handle it, thank you. What exactly has to be done after writing the series expansion?

Last edited:
You substitute the first few terms of the infinite series (writing it in the numerator) in place of the square-root expression in the denominator, then multiply and simplify.

Likes hitemup

Related to Approximating Magnetic Field for Spinning Disk with Large Distance from Center

1. What are X>>R assumptions in magnetism?

The X>>R assumptions in magnetism refer to the assumptions made when using the X>>R method, which is a commonly used technique for measuring magnetic properties of materials. This method involves applying a magnetic field to a sample and then measuring the magnetic response of the sample. The X>>R assumptions are used to simplify the mathematical calculations involved in this method.

2. What are the 5 assumptions used in X>>R method?

The 5 assumptions used in the X>>R method are:

1. The magnetic field is uniform and constant throughout the sample.
  2. The magnetic field is applied parallel to the sample's surface.
  3. The sample has a homogeneous magnetic response.
  4. The sample does not have any internal magnetic fields.
  5. The size of the sample is small compared to the distance from the magnetic field source.

3. Why are these assumptions necessary in X>>R method?

These assumptions are necessary in the X>>R method because they allow for simpler mathematical calculations and make the results more accurate. Without these assumptions, the calculations would be more complex and the results would be less reliable.

4. How do X>>R assumptions affect the accuracy of the results?

The X>>R assumptions can affect the accuracy of the results in several ways. If the assumptions are not met, then the results may be less accurate and may not reflect the true magnetic properties of the sample. For example, if the sample is not homogeneous, the results may be influenced by different magnetic responses in different parts of the sample.

5. Can X>>R assumptions be applied to all materials?

No, X>>R assumptions cannot be applied to all materials. These assumptions are most suitable for materials that have uniform and consistent magnetic properties, and that are small in size compared to the distance from the magnetic field source. Other materials may require different methods or assumptions to accurately measure their magnetic properties.