Arc Length and Surface question about hyperbolic function

In summary, the circumference of the region bounded by the curve y=cosh(x) and the lines y=0 x=a and x=-a is 2a+4. To find the area of the surface obtained by rotating the part of the curve y=cosh(x) between x=a x=-a and around the x axis, sinh(2a)+a∏/2 is calculated.
e179285
If the circumference of the region bounded by the curve y=cosh(x) and the lines y=0 x=a

and x=-a is 2a+4, where a>0 find the area of the surface obtained by rotating the part of

the curve y=cosh(x) between x=a x=-a and around the x axis. This is my homework question.I tried to solve it.I get a result but ı'm not sure because

there is not number in my answer and this is area question.ı want to say my approach to

this question.

Firstly,ı found arc length interms of a. this is ea-e-a = 2a+4 ,i.e,
sinh(2a)=a+2 Secondly,ı found surface.∫2∏cosh(x)√1+sinh2(x) dx (from -a to a)

After calculations,S=sinh(2a)+a∏/2

Did ı do wrong something when solving the question,the answer is strange...

Physics news on Phys.org
e179285 said:
If the circumference of the region bounded by the curve y=cosh(x) and the lines y=0 x=a

and x=-a is 2a+4, where a>0 find the area of the surface obtained by rotating the part of

the curve y=cosh(x) between x=a x=-a and around the x axis.

This is my homework question.I tried to solve it.I get a result but ı'm not sure because

there is not number in my answer and this is area question.ı want to say my approach to

this question.

Firstly,ı found arc length interms of a. this is ea-e-a = 2a+4 ,i.e,
sinh(2a)=a+2

Are you sure you don't get ##2\sinh(a)## and not ##\sinh(2a)##? And it isn't that that is equal to ##2a+4##. It is the circumference of the rotated region that is equal to ##2a+4##. That may change things.
Secondly,ı found surface.∫2∏cosh(x)√1+sinh2(x) dx (from -a to a)

After calculations,S=sinh(2a)+a∏/2

Did ı do wrong something when solving the question,the answer is strange...

I'm sorry,ı made a mistake by writing value.It will be 2sinh(a),but ı don't understand why it is not equal to 2a+4

e179285 said:

and x=-a is 2a+4,

e179285 said:
I'm sorry,ı made a mistake by writing value.It will be 2sinh(a),but ı don't understand why it is not equal to 2a+4

Read the statement of the problem above.

Related to Arc Length and Surface question about hyperbolic function

1. What is the arc length of a hyperbolic function?

The arc length of a hyperbolic function is the distance along the curve from one point to another. It can be calculated using the formula L = ∫√(1 + (f'(x))^2) dx, where f'(x) is the derivative of the hyperbolic function.

2. How is the arc length of a hyperbolic function related to its derivative?

The arc length of a hyperbolic function is directly related to its derivative. The derivative of a hyperbolic function is used in the formula for calculating arc length, and it represents the rate of change of the function at any given point along the curve.

3. Is there a difference in calculating arc length for hyperbolic functions and other types of functions?

Yes, there is a difference in calculating arc length for hyperbolic functions compared to other types of functions. The formula for arc length of a hyperbolic function includes a square root, while the formula for arc length of other functions does not.

4. Can the arc length of a hyperbolic function be negative?

No, the arc length of a hyperbolic function cannot be negative. It represents a distance, which is always positive. If the calculated arc length is negative, it may indicate an error in the calculation or that the function is not a true hyperbolic function.

5. How is surface area related to arc length in hyperbolic functions?

Surface area is not directly related to arc length in hyperbolic functions. However, the concept of arc length can be extended to calculate surface area of a hyperbolic function rotated around an axis. This is known as the arc length parametrization and can be used to find the surface area using the formula A = ∫2πy√(1 + (f'(x))^2) dx.