Arc Length in Parametric equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the arc length of a given equation in parametric form. The original approach involves using x' and y' and evaluating the integral of \int\sqrt{1/(2t+1) + 36}. However, the speaker suggests an alternative approach of expressing the graph in the form y = f(x) to make the integration easier. The conversation also mentions the importance of finding the limits of t for which the arc length is to be calculated.
perpetium
I know this is very simple, but the end integral just kills me

Homework Statement

Given equation in Parametric form
x=[tex]\sqrt{2t+1}[/tex]), y=6t
Find arc length

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

take x' & y'
then Take integral of [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sqrt{1/(2t+1) + 36}[/tex]

This is where I got stuck ...is there a simple way to solve this integral ?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't specify the limits of t for which the arc length is to be evaluated. You can try an alternatve approach here. Note that you can easily express the graph in the form y = f(x). Do that, and use the other formula to calculate arc length. Should be easier to integrate. Also remember to find the values of x for which the arc length is to be calculated.

Defennder thanks for response
I have already evaluated that integral in the y=f(x) form, through trigonometric substitution

Now I need to evaluate it in parametric form...

Related to Arc Length in Parametric equation

What is arc length in parametric equations?

Arc length in parametric equations refers to the distance along a curve between two points, measured along the curve itself. It takes into account the curvature of the curve, rather than just the straight line distance between the two points.

How is arc length calculated in parametric equations?

Arc length can be calculated using the integral of the square root of the sum of the squares of the derivatives of the parametric equations with respect to the parameter. The parameter is typically denoted as t.

Why is arc length important in parametric equations?

Arc length is important in parametric equations because it allows us to accurately measure the distance along a curved path. This is useful in many applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by an object following a parametric path or determining the length of a wire or cable that is bent into a complex shape.

Can arc length be negative in parametric equations?

No, arc length cannot be negative in parametric equations. It is always a positive value, representing the distance between two points along a curve. If the arc length is negative, it is an indication that the two points are in the opposite direction along the curve.

Can arc length be infinite in parametric equations?

Yes, arc length can be infinite in parametric equations. This occurs when the curve is unbounded and continues infinitely in one or both directions. An example of this is a straight line with infinite length. In these cases, the arc length formula will result in an infinite value.