Are Civilian Casualties Ever Justifiable in Conflict Scenarios?

• News
  • Thread starter Hurkyl
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation boils down to the question of whether civilian casualties are acceptable in various scenarios during war. The participants discuss different situations involving civilians and their involvement in the war, and whether they can be considered combatants or non-combatants. They also debate the reasons behind conflicts and whether war can ever be justified. Some argue that civilians should stay out of the way and avoid becoming casualties, while others argue for the protection of civilians and the need to address the root causes of war. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the complexity and moral dilemmas surrounding civilian casualties in war.
Outcast said:
What does intelligents have to do with it? It has more to do with their lack of better weapons. Even without them they are doing a good job of killing civilians.

Their level of acceptable civilian casualties seems to have no limit.

http://www.hipakistan.com/en/detail.php?newsId=en71790&F_catID=&f_type=source
Judging from your last post, I'm guessing that's sarcasm (just want to clarify). The "insurgents" are indeed doing everything they can to kill as many civilians (caveat: yes, police do fall into a middle-ground) as possible and prevent the formation of a stable government.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A decent part of the saturation bombing done in WWII was that way because there was no other way to hit the target. You literally had to cover a full square mile with hundreds of tons of bombs just to make sure you hit a single building.

Wow, I never realized that bombing was so inaccurate in WWII!

Hurkyl said:

Read From Apes to Warlords by Sir Solly Zuckerman. During WWII he had a good way to knock out railroads, essentially bomb the switches. He had developed it empirically by studying ralroads in England that had been attacked by the Luftwaffe; what was different between the ones that were quickly repaired and the ones that weren't? "Bomber" Harris, the head of RAF bombing command refused to consider his plan because he considered his bombardiers too innacurate to ever hit anything that small.

You can also read the history of the war in the Pacific. In the book Guadalcanal, the author points out that the Japanese were amused that one of their high altitude bombers was actually able to hit a ship. They had a saying along the lines of "even a blind squirrel finds a nut on occassion."

High altitude bombing was notoriously inaccurate -- one of the reasons Curtis LeMay decided to try low-altitude bombing of Japanese cities, much to the dismay of his pilots.

"Militants who survived the strikes in the compound sought refuge in nearby villages, but U.S. forces said they broke off an offensive to hunt them down to avoid civilian casualties. "

( http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040918/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq&cid=540&ncid=716 )

How would you solve this problem and how do you deal with militants' sympethizers ?

What is the new definition for military installations or militants in urban warfare ?

I guess it makes more sense when you remind me about high-altitude bombing; I was having mental images of dive bombing!

Hurkyl said:
Add Vietnam to that also. Almost 70 years after WW II we were still dropping dumb bombs that were no more accurate than the WW II ones. The Dragon's Jaw Bridge

Desert Storm bombing wasn't much better.
May 8, 1999

FACTS:

75% of all dumb bombs in Desert Storm landed off target
93% of all bombs dropped in Desert Storm were conventional ("dumb")
Source: US Air Force (after the war was over)
http://www.brasscheck.com/yugoslavia/directory/50899a.html

If we are willing to drop bombs that miss their targes 75% of the time, then we must have a high level of civilian causalities acceptability.

russ_watters said:
Judging from your last post, I'm guessing that's sarcasm (just want to clarify). The "insurgents" are indeed doing everything they can to kill as many civilians (caveat: yes, police do fall into a middle-ground) as possible and prevent the formation of a stable government.
No I wasn't being sarcastic. If they had WMD, they would not hesitate to use them on the civilian population.

In the Persian Gulf War we relied mainly on dumb bombs dropped by B-52s on isolated targets. Calculate the spread of bombs dropped a half second from each other from a B-52 traveling 600 mph. Naturally 75% are going to miss their target unless they are intended to strike Rhode Island. That doesn't mean that they will strike civilians, however. We weren't trying to destroy city industry like in WWII.

russ_watters said:
No, that's not what I meant (I meant "near" as in really near - literally standing next to a combatant), but that's still a valid point you have. A decent part of the saturation bombing done in WWII was that way because there was no other way to hit the target. You literally had to cover a full square mile with hundreds of tons of bombs just to make sure you hit a single building. Today, obviously, that's not necessary, as laser guided weapons have a better than 50% accuracy rate at 10m. With that improvement in technology comes the change in rules: now that its not just possible, but easy to avoid killing everyone within a square mile of your target, you must avoid doing it. The critereon I use is how far from the battle (in both time and space) is the target. If you blow up a supply convoy of trucks (btw, these are all uniformed military personnel), you hinder the affected unit's ability to fight tomorrow. If you hit a supply ship (these are a pseudo-military force - government owed, civilian operated), it hinders the affected unit's ability to fight next month. If you hit the factory that is building the weapons, it hinders the military's ability to fight in maybe six months. Hitting the WTC (we'll assume for now that this was the actual goal - as we know, it was not), had it actually done serious damage to the economy, it would affect the military's ability to fight in two years.

In WWII, hindering the military's ability to fight in 2 years, was a legitimate concern. WWII was a "total war," which means it absorbed all of the excess production of the countries involved in fighting it (it actually absorbed virtually all but the essential production).

WWII was the last total war and I believe it was the last there will ever be. Wars like the first and second Gulf war are called "limited" or regional wars by the military. They do not require a significant re-direction of the resources of the countries involved (caveat: Iraq was a military dictatorship, so all of its excess resources already went to the military). Since hitting economic centers, and even manufacturing centers doesn't do anything at all to affect the outcome of the war, except possibly, psychological impact, they are not valid military targets.

You've got a valid point. Targets that were valid in WWII just wouldn't pass muster today. Wars don't last long enough to think about affecting an enemy's capability a year in the future.

Today, a target has to have a pretty immediate and significant effect to be a target or even worth the collateral damage.

JohnDubYa said:
In the Persian Gulf War we relied mainly on dumb bombs dropped by B-52s on isolated targets. Calculate the spread of bombs dropped a half second from each other from a B-52 traveling 600 mph. Naturally 75% are going to miss their target unless they are intended to strike Rhode Island. That doesn't mean that they will strike civilians, however. We weren't trying to destroy city industry like in WWII.
True, I think Baghdad was our first attempt to use smart bombs in urban areas against military targets to limit civilian casualties.
The Urban Sanctuary in Desert Storm? # In 43 days of war, a mere 330 weapons (244 laser--guided bombs and 86 Tomahawk cruise missiles) were delivered on Baghdad targets (a mere three percent of the total of all smart weapons expended) (see tables 1 and 2).3
# Ordnance impacting in Baghdad totaled 287 tons (not even one--tenth of one percent of the total in the air war).4 Contrast this with Linebacker II, during which aircraft dropped 15,000 tons on Hanoi in 11 days, 50 times the bomb tonnage on Baghdad.
1991: Bush orders Allies to begin bombing Baghdad
Their bombs were aimed at military and strategic targets, including an oil refinery and Baghdad airport.
Flashback: Desert Storm The main targets were military, but Baghdad, the Iraqi capital, was heavily hit and there were many civilian casualties.

In the capital, military and communications installations were targeted, as well as the parliament, airport, defence ministry, and various palaces.

A US stealth bomber dropped two laser-guided bombs on what the allies had pinpointed as an important command and control bunker.

The bombers had intended to drop the 900kg bombs into the ventilation shafts of the shelter. One missed and exploded nearby, blocking the only escape route.

The second plunged into the bunker and exploded in the middle of the largest room on the upper floor. That strike was 50/50 with laser bombs

War Protests Articles Site Map Lighter Side

Operation Desert Storm: Collateral Damage[/URL]

Fog of War

But back to the original statement. "The dumb bombs in Desert Storm were no more accurate than the dumb bombs of WW II"

studentx said:
But that's not done by "most iraqis". Could even have been foreign fighters. Most Iraqis arent fighting, tho theyre probably pretty pissed, they would never think of going to the US and taking revenge on civilians.
Isn't it? I don't recall any Iraqis coming to the aid of Westerns being attacked, like in
Fallujah . Nor do I see the Iraqis doing much to end the violence in their country.

Let me clarify my earlier statement, whoever is behind the attacks on Americans and other Westerns, have no regard for civilians casualties. It doesn't matter to them if they kill 100, 1,000 or 100,000 civilians as long as they kill Westerns.

Here is an excellent scripture to keep in mind the next time you read of Muslims inflicting needless causalities.

Sûrah al Isrâ 17.33
Nor take life - which Allah has made sacred - except for just cause. And if anyone is slain wrongfully, we have given his heir authority (to demand qisas or to forgive): but let him not exceed bounds in the matter of taking life for he is helped (by the Law).

If they feel their cause is just, then a Muslim can take any life they wish. Whether it be pushing a handicap person in a wheelchair off a ship, shooting fleeing children in the back, flying planes into buildings, as long as their cause is just, then their god permits it.

First of all, The Iraqis just lost a war and are being occupied by US, they ARE forming their own police and they ARE trying to stop the violence, no one wants to live in a warzone.

Secondly, That passage does not state that anyone can kill if they think the cause is just, Allah did not decree that killing children and handicapped is just. Stop trying to make the muslims out to be evil warmongers.

I have been warned not to discuss religion on here, so I will not reply.
However if you feel that Islam is a religion of peace as President Bush states, and wish to discuss this further. Please go to http://www.faithfreedom.org/forum/ they have some wonderful topics on there such as.
Muhammad His life, his examples and his psychology

The Quran and Hadith Shari'a, Errancies, Miracles and Science,

Women's Rights The rights, or lack thereof, of women in Islam

Islam defended Prove Islam is from God, why it is the 'One True Religion'.

Minorities' Rights Slavery, Dhimmitude and Jizyah

The effect of Islam on Muslims. Honour killing. Human rights abuses of Muslims. Poverty caused by Islam.

Married to a Muslim How to survive. Share your stories, good and bad.

Testimonies of those leaving Islam Share your story.

Islam vs. other religions Debate how Islam compares to other faiths and religions.

Jihad and Islamic Terrorism How serious is this threat and can it be stopped? The threat of Political Islam

The danger of Islamic infiltration in non-Muslim countries through lobbying and political action

I am sure with your knowledge and understanding of Islam, you would be more than a match for these people. I normally post over at http://s4.invisionfree.com/The_Chatter_Lounge/index.php?act=idx Its a new forum, just starting up

Outcast, its fine to discuss religion (it wouldn't be the first time here), but you generalize it a bit. Passages that promote violence are also in the bible, its all a matter of interpretation. The problem as i see it is that Islam today offers no counter arguments to extremist interpretations of for example, that passage. Most moderate muslims (well over a billion) don't follow the books tho, they follow the culture and have never read the Quran or hadiths. But because theyre moderate, they can also said to be weak by scholars or extremists who take scriptures literally and even be condemned.
I read somewhere about Salman Rushdie who was condemned and sentenced to death in fatwas by islamic scholars all over the world. A muslim who investigates the origins of Islam is sentenced to death a hundred times, and Osama has not a single fatwa against him. Muslims really do have the power to cut off this extremism, but right now there is just no base for counter arguments in the religion and unless they reform, this thing is just going to grow and grow imvho...

studentx said:
Outcast, its fine to discuss religion (it wouldn't be the first time here), but you generalize it a bit. Passages that promote violence are also in the bible, its all a matter of interpretation. The problem as i see it is that Islam today offers no counter arguments to extremist interpretations of for example, that passage. Most moderate muslims (well over a billion) don't follow the books tho, they follow the culture and have never read the Quran or hadiths. But because theyre moderate, they can also said to be weak by scholars or extremists who take scriptures literally and even be condemned.
I read somewhere about Salman Rushdie who was condemned and sentenced to death in fatwas by islamic scholars all over the world. A muslim who investigates the origins of Islam is sentenced to death a hundred times, and Osama has not a single fatwa against him. Muslims really do have the power to cut off this extremism, but right now there is just no base for counter arguments in the religion and unless they reform, this thing is just going to grow and grow imvho...
What I bolded is the problem. All arguments must be based on the The Qur'an. The The Qur'an does not teach peace, love or forgiveness. Go to Prophet of Doom and look at their material. They have a free Ebook if you are interested.

Here is an Iranian website
http://www.sumka.org/islamic_paradise_e.htm
The Islamic society of Compassion, Culture, Education, Security, Freedom, Equality, Health, Happiness, Comfort, Women & Children Rights as Promised!
Not pretty.

Those are anti islamic hate sites. You should know better where to get unbiased information

studentx said:
Those are anti islamic hate sites. You should know better where to get unbiased information
You mean I should use sites like these?
CBS News
Aljazeera
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/

You mean I should not read articles like
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1095566007581&p=1006688055060
Calif. DOE forcing Islam on children[/URL]
Despising Islam?
http://www.chronwatch.com/content/contentDisplay.asp?aid=9776&catcode=11

Go to Google News and do a search on Islam, again it is not pretty. I don't believe that there any unbiased websites. Islam is either the religion of peace and Christianity is the religion of hate or Islam is the religion of hate and Christianity is the religion of peace. There is no middle ground. The question a person has to answer for themselves is, which side are they own?

Outcast said:
Islam is either the religion of peace and Christianity is the religion of hate or Islam is the religion of hate and Christianity is the religion of peace. There is no middle ground.

Why not...
I see you talking about Islam as if you want to wage a giant war against muslims. Could you post something constructive about the problem and your view on solving it.

studentx said:
Why not...
I see you talking about Islam as if you want to wage a giant war against muslims. Could you post something constructive about the problem and your view on solving it.
We are alreadey at war with Islam, in case you haven't noticed. The problem is Christianity and Western Civilization is slowly being over ran by Islam. 1) Recognize the problem, 2) Recognize that Islam is not a religion of peace as President Bush stated. 3) Stop immigration from Islamic countries. 4) Begin deporting Muslims back to their native country, that are not U.S. citizens 4) Stop teaching Islam in public schools. 5)Stop giving special privileges to Islam here in the United States. 6) Take back US property that was seized by Islamic nations.
Calif. DOE forcing Islam on children
How Judges Rip Up Faith
What's wrong with "ACROSS THE CENTURIES" Houghton Mifflin Social Studies Textbook 7th grade 21st Century Edition, nationwide
'Europe Will Be Islamic by the End of the Century'
A Seat at the Table: Islam Makes Inroads in Education
Wakeup Non-Muslims!
Just for starters

We are alreadey at war with Islam, in case you haven't noticed.

I haven't.

As you mentioned , the first step is to "Recognize the problem". Follow your own advice: argue there is a problem before you move onto the next step.

Hurkyl said:
Many of the threads here boil down to an argument over what constitutes an acceptable civilian casualty rather than discuss the issue from which the thread arose, so I thought it might be worthwhile to start a thread on the topic that people are really discussing.

It doesn't matter. Enemy civilian casualties per se should never be a hindrance when applying force.

Hurkyl said:
I haven't.

As you mentioned , the first step is to "Recognize the problem". Follow your own advice: argue there is a problem before you move onto the next step.

I agree. Outcast your analysis of the problem is flawed and i think you arent looking for a peaceful solution.

Hurkyl said:
I haven't.

Does this indicate a problem between Islam and the Western World?

Two powerful and aggressive religions that both believe they have the divine truth cannot coexist.

The Battle of the Yarmuk took place between the Arabs and the Byzantine Empire in 636. This was the first clash between Islam and the Western world. The Byzantine army was defeated and Syria and the Middle East, which had formerly been Judo-Christian was lost to Islam. The next Christian state to fall to Islam was Egypt in 642. The Islamic conquest continued across North Africa In 711 the Berber Tarik invaded and rapidly conquered Visigothic Spain. The Moslems invasion of Western Europe was stopped in France at the Battle of Tours in 732. In 1453 the Ottomans defeat the Byzantine Empire and continue expanding into the Balkans. In 1492 Ferdinand of Aragon and Isabella of Castile, ended Muslim rule in Spain.

The Ottoman Empire failed to keep up technologically with its European rivals, especially Russia. It suffered a huge naval loss at the Battle of Lepanto in 1571. After its defeat at the Battle of Vienna in 1683, the Ottoman Empire began a long period of decline. After the great defeat of the Ottomans at Vienna, Prince Eugene of Savoy lead Austrian forces to further victories. By 1699, the whole of Hungary had been conquered from the Ottomans by the Austrians. The decline culminated in the defeat of the empire by the Allies in World War I. of the Ottoman Empire[url

Between 636 and 1683 there was over a thousand years of aggression by Islam against Christianity and the Western World. Why did it end? Did Islam renounce the sword? Did it go thru a reformation, a renaissance ? Did a new prophet arise with a message of peace? No, Islamic conquests of Europe ended because Islam had not changed. It had over time become a primitive backward culture that was unable to compete in the modern world.

Beginning in the late 1960's Islam renewed its attack on the Western World. Again the question to be asked is what had changed in Islam? Had Islam undergone an industrial or technological revolution that would allow it to compete with the Western World? No, Islam was still the same primitive religion that first attacked the Western World in 636. What had changed can be summed up in one word, money. Money from the oil fields began to flow into the Middle East and North Africa. In the mid 1960's Islam nation began again their raids on the West with the nationalization of oil fields and refineries. Islam now had the money to purchase the weapons they could not produce and to finance a renewed assault on the West.

The first modern attack on the a Western nation, was a dismal failure, when tiny Israel single handily defeated the entire modern Islam world. The combined might of Egypt, Jordan, Syria along with their supporters Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Sudan and Algeria was not enough to defeat one small Western Nation. The lesson of the inferiority of the Islamic fighters in open combat, despite overwhelming superiority in men and equipment, was not lost on Islamic militants. From that point on Islamic militants began to use terror as one of their weapons against the Western world.

The first attack against the United States in the renewed war came at about 12:15 am on June 5, 1968, when Sirhan Sirhan shot presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy for his pro-Israel stance..

Another weapon that the Islamic world had in its arsenal to use against the United States was the 1965 Immigration Act. This Act, sponsored by Democrats, allowed Muslims throughout the world to pour into the United States in numbers that were never before possible.
The Muslim population in America is estimated to be between 8 to 10 million. American Muslims represent about 3.7% of the total population and about 9.4% of the total voting public http://www.ijtihad.org/Muslimvote2004.htm
You and I would vote for a candidate, because we felt that he had the best interest of our country at heart. The Muslims will vote for a candidate that they feel has the best interest of Islam at heart, even to the determent of this country.

On 9-11 the cries of “Allahu Akbar” rang out over an open mike as a hijackers struggled for control of an airplane. This was the same battle cry that Muhammad had taught his followers to scream almost 1400 years ago. You may not think we are at war with Islam, but Islam is at war with us as it has been for almost 1400 years, whether you agree with me or not.

In 1938 Neville Chamberlain signed the Munich Agreement as an appeasement to the Nazis and have his infamous “Peace in our Time” speech. On September 17, 2001, President Bush gave his “Islam is peace” speech as an appeasement to Muslims.

In 1936 Mein Kampf" was published. No one took the writings of a failed revolutionist sitting in jail seriously. Six years and 55 million lives later, they did. The Qur’an is Muhammad’s Mein Kampf. If we fail to take his writings seriously, then WWII will pale in comparison to what our children and grandchildren will face,

Mein Kampf was an influential text among the Arab Ba’ath Party activists. An Arabic edition of Mein Kampf has been published by Bisan publishers in Lebanon. It ranks on the best-seller list among Palestinian Arabs.
Why don’t the moderate Muslims speak out against the “terrorist that have hijacked their religion?” They can’t, because they cannot defend their position using the Qur’an or other holy Islamic books.

Outcast said:
Why don’t the moderate Muslims speak out against the “terrorist that have hijacked their religion?” They can’t, because they cannot defend their position using the Qur’an or other holy Islamic books.

Well at least this makes sense. Before you were saying to deport all muslims, but at least now you acknowledge that the majority of muslims is peaceful and against terror, not because theyre muslims but because theyre humans like the rest of us.

Outcast said:
You and I would vote for a candidate, because we felt that he had the best interest of our country at heart. The Muslims will vote for a candidate that they feel has the best interest of Islam at heart, even to the determent of this country.
I don't buy that any more than I buy the argument against JFK (at the time) that he would act in the interest of the Vatican. American muslims, by and large, are Americans first and foremost (otherwise, they wouldn't choose to live here). In fact, a great many are more patriotic than the average American because they have seen how 'the other side' lives and know how much better they have it. They can't be compared to muslims in the middle east.

The references Outcast uses are just plain wrong to paint all Muslims with the same brush. These views don't even describe Saddam Hussein.

They do reflect the views of some Muslim groups, al-Quaida being one of them. In fact, the extreme fundamentalist viewpoint of al-Quaida is one reason why a strong, close relationship between Iraq and al-Quaida would be a surprise (That wouldn't rule out a temporary relationship out of mutual convenience, just make one more difficult. According to the 9/11 report, the al-Quaida did try to ally itself with Iraq when al-Quaida was newer and weaker - Iraq rejected them, most likely because at that point, al-Quaida was more capable of causing problems for Iraq than the US. Later, Iraq did try to reach an alliance with a stronger al-Quaida, but was rejected - most likely because al-Quaida felt it had passed the point where it felt it had to ally itself with a secular type government that it philosophically opposed).

Your fundamentalist groups do feel there should be no separation between their religion and their government. In the view of al-Quaida, the governments of countries such as Iraq (pre-war secular dictatorship) and other secular Arab governments need to be replaced by a clerical government, such as the Taliban ran in Afghanistan or the Ayatollahs try to run in Iran.

This is the type of government al-Quaida wants to see in Iraq now that an opportunity has presented itself. It's also the type of government it wants to see in Chechnya, another war al-Quaida has supported. If the reference is strictly limited to the current war we're fighting in Iraq, Outcast's posts aren't totally out of line, since they do reflect a large percentage of the people that we're currently fighting. But it is totally wrong to paint this as a war against all Muslims.

studentx said:
Well at least this makes sense. Before you were saying to deport all muslims, but at least now you acknowledge that the majority of muslims is peaceful and against terror, not because theyre muslims but because theyre humans like the rest of us.
No, I said none of those things.
4) Begin deporting Muslims back to their native country, that are not U.S. citizens
Not all Muslims, just the non US citizens.
I never said the majority of Muslims are peaceful and against terror. I never used the word majority.
(moderate) muslims is peaceful and against terror, not because theyre muslims but because theyre humans like the rest of us
Yes, I agree with your statement. Those Muslims that are opposed to the bombings, beheadings and shootings, do so as humans. They cannot be opposed to the bombings, beheadings and shootings, as Muslims, because that would be heresy.

Christians on the other hand decry Jonestown, Waco and the abortion clinic bombings, not only as humans, but as Christians as well. Those events violated the teaching of Christ. Bombings, beheadings and shootings do not violate the teachings of Muhammad.

Your reasoning seems to be split into two parts: historical and theological.

I don't think your historical argument holds any water: it has happened quite a few times that someone has managed to organize a society then that society conquers its neighbors. You could probably argue that the Arabs would not organized without Islam, but you'll be hard pressed to show that the subsequent conquests were any more ideological than, say, the Mongol Hordes or the Roman Empire.

Your religous argument is nonexistant: while you've stated multiple times your interpretation of Islam, you've given no arguments to back it up.

Furthermore, I don't see how your (alledged) contrast with Christianity bears any relevance to your claim.

BobG said:
The references Outcast uses are just plain wrong to paint all Muslims with the same brush. These views don't even describe Saddam Hussein.

They do reflect the views of some Muslim groups, al-Quaida being one of them. In fact, the extreme fundamentalist viewpoint of al-Quaida is one reason why a strong, close relationship between Iraq and al-Quaida would be a surprise (That wouldn't rule out a temporary relationship out of mutual convenience, just make one more difficult. According to the 9/11 report, the al-Quaida did try to ally itself with Iraq when al-Quaida was newer and weaker - Iraq rejected them, most likely because at that point, al-Quaida was more capable of causing problems for Iraq than the US. Later, Iraq did try to reach an alliance with a stronger al-Quaida, but was rejected - most likely because al-Quaida felt it had passed the point where it felt it had to ally itself with a secular type government that it philosophically opposed).

Your fundamentalist groups do feel there should be no separation between their religion and their government.
In the view of al-Quaida, the governments of countries such as Iraq (pre-war secular dictatorship) and other secular Arab governments need to be replaced by a clerical government, such as the Taliban ran in Afghanistan or the Ayatollahs try to run in Iran.

This is the type of government al-Quaida wants to see in Iraq now that an opportunity has presented itself. It's also the type of government it wants to see in Chechnya, another war al-Quaida has supported. If the reference is strictly limited to the current war we're fighting in Iraq, Outcast's posts aren't totally out of line, since they do reflect a large percentage of the people that we're currently fighting. But it is totally wrong to paint this as a war against all Muslims.
The references Outcast uses are just plain wrong to paint all Muslims with the same brush.
Which references are wrong? If this had been a term paper, I would have footnoted everything.

These views don't even describe Saddam Hussein.
How is that? True, he did not learn the lesson from the Six Day War, The Yon Kipper War or Gulf War I, Saddam, though a secular leader, is the product of an Islamic society. He was educated at the Cairo University in law. His Ba’ath Party was influenced by Mein Kampf. There is a lot of similarities between Hitler and Muhammad and between the Koran and Mein Kampf.

Your fundamentalist groups do feel there should be no separation between their religion and their government.
It is not the fundamentalist group, but the Koran that calls for Muslims to live in an Islamic state. http://www.islamic-state.org/fard/obligation1.shtml

And what are the duties of a Muslim living here in America or some other Western country under our form of government?
http://www.islamic-state.org/west/
The Prophet said, "Man mata laysa fi uniqihi bay'ah mata maytan Jahilliya" "Whosoever dies without a bay'ah on their neck dies the death of Jahilliya (ignorance)" So it is Fard for all Muslims whether young or old, male or female to work to re-establish the Khilafah (Islamic State) so that we can give the bay'ah to the Khalifah and not die in a state of sinfulness. And this Fard cannot be achieved only by an individual working by himself. Rather this Fard requires a group to establish it.
to work to re-establish the Khilafah (Islamic State) = to overthrow the existing government. This is not radial Islam, but Islam.

You keep talking about al-Quaida, but they are just the tip of the iceberg. They seems to have become Presidents Bush's whipping boys for his reelection. Just take a look at this list and see what the Western World is up against. Para-Military Groups Notice how may of these are Islamic and what their mission is.

russ_watters said:
I don't buy that any more than I buy the argument against JFK (at the time) that he would act in the interest of the Vatican. American muslims, by and large, are Americans first and foremost (otherwise, they wouldn't choose to live here). In fact, a great many are more patriotic than the average American because they have seen how 'the other side' lives and know how much better they have it. They can't be compared to muslims in the middle east.
Patriotics like Johnny Walker Lynn? or FBI Agent Gamal Abdel-Hafiz? or Spc. Ryan G. Anderson? or Sgt. Asan Akbar of the 326th Engineer Battalion or Muslim Chaplain James Yee or American Muslims that refused to fight in the Gulf War? The Japanese Americans were more loyal to this country in WWII, even after the way we treated them. If the Muslims here are good loyal Americans then they are heretics.

They can't be compared to muslims in the middle east
Why not? Didn't most of the come from North Africa, The Middle East and Central Asia? What about the 19 hijackers? Weren't they good American Muslims up until 9-11?

Also would you please look at my previous post to BobG so I won't have to post it again. The part at the bottom about " And what are the duties of a Muslim living here in America or some other Western country under our form of government? "

Now your comparing Mohammed to Hitler! Is there no end to your bias?

Last edited:
Smurf said:
Now your comparing Muhammed to Hitler! Is there no end to your bias?
Have you ever read their biographies?