Are Lecher Wires Still Used in Electronics Courses?

• Thread starter KL7AJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire
In summary, the conversation revolved around the use of a lecher wire and determining its characteristic impedance. The speaker used a potentiometer to adjust the voltage and found it to be close to the theoretical value. They also discussed the rarity of lecher lines in electronics courses and the speaker's plan to manufacture them in kit form.
KL7AJ

Happy to have any comments on this.

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's cool. I'd never heard of the lecher wire.
So, how was it that you determined the characteristic impedance to be 390 ohms?

Also, you mentioned varying the spacing had some effect. I'd be interested to learn more about that.

Hi Elegysix:

I determined the characteristic impedance by putting a potentiometer on the end and adjusting it until I saw no difference in the voltage as I moved the probe along the line. And it comes out pretty close to the theoretical value based on the tubing diameter and spacing.

Eric

nice one Eric

Unfortunately lecher lines are rarely seen in electronics courses these days
but us oldies are more likely to have encountered them ... that takes me back 30 odd years to when I used them last. A fantastic teaching tool for the RF classroom :smile:

cheers
Dave

Likes 1 person
davenn said:
nice one Eric

Unfortunately lecher lines are rarely seen in electronics courses these days
but us oldies are more likely to have encountered them ... that takes me back 30 odd years to when I used them last. A fantastic teaching tool for the RF classroom :smile:

cheers
Dave

I'm thinking about manufacturing some of these in kit form. Won't be quite as fancy as mine, though. :)

Related to Are Lecher Wires Still Used in Electronics Courses?

1. What is a Lecher wire?

A Lecher wire is a simple scientific demonstration tool used to visualize standing waves in a medium, typically a string or wire. It consists of two parallel conductive wires connected at one end and left open at the other, with a movable probe in between.

2. How does the Lecher wire demo work?

The Lecher wire demo works by sending an electrical signal down the wires, which creates a standing wave pattern between the two open ends. The position of the probe can be adjusted to find the nodes and antinodes of the standing wave, providing a visual representation of the wave's properties.

3. What is the purpose of the Lecher wire demo?

The Lecher wire demo is used to demonstrate the properties of standing waves, including wavelength, frequency, and node/antinode locations. It can also be used to investigate how different factors, such as tension and length, affect the standing wave pattern.

4. What materials are needed for a Lecher wire demo?

To perform a Lecher wire demo, you will need two parallel conductive wires (such as copper wires or guitar strings), a power source (such as a signal generator), a probe (such as a metal rod), and a way to secure the wires in place (such as clamps or stands).

5. What other applications does the Lecher wire have?

The Lecher wire has various applications in the fields of physics, engineering, and telecommunications. It can be used to measure the speed of sound in different materials, study the behavior of electromagnetic waves, and even design and test antennas for wireless communication.