Are physics and fundamental chemistry only necessary to become a physicist?

In summary, it depends on the kind of physicist. Some physicists are equally adept in chemistry as they are in physics, while other physicists do not rely too much on chemistry. Physical science students aiming for a degree usually are required one year of General Chemistry. Chemistry students aiming for a degree are required to study one and a half years (three semesters) of "Fundamental Physics" usually being a series of courses in Mechanics & Kinematics (sometimes including other things), Electricity & Magnetism, and "Modern Physics".
Orion73
Does the understanding and application of physics and fundamental chemistry is only required to be physicist? Or you have to be be equally apt in chemistry??

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the kind of physicist. In atomic-molecular-and optical (AMO) physics, there is a lot of chemistry. Lots of chemistry in materials and some branches of astrophysics.

But no, most physicists are not equally adept in chemistry as they are in physics. I'm trained as an AMO physicist, and while chemistry is important in this branch, I am not nearly as good in chemistry as real chemists are at chemistry or as I am in physics.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba and Wrichik Basu
Orion73 said:
Does the understanding and application of physics and fundamental chemistry is only required to be physicist? Or you have to be be equally apt in chemistry??
Something is wrong with the logic of the question or in the usage of words.

Maybe this helps.
Physics does not rely too much on Chemistry; Chemistry certainly relies on much of Physics for understanding but focuses on Chemistry, reactions, identity of materials, and Chemistry & Physics are definitely related.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Orion73 said:
Furthermore,
Some overlap happens between Chemistry and Physics. Included, physical science students aiming for a degree usually are required one year of General Chemistry. On the other hand, Chemistry students aiming for a degree are required to study one and a half years (three semesters) of "Fundamental Physics" usually being a series of courses in Mechanics & Kinematics (sometimes including other things), Electricity & Magnetism, and "Modern Physics".

Two of the many areas linking Chem with Phys are, Thermodynamics, and Spectroscopy(Spectrohotometry). So many other areas, too.

Do not overlook Mathematics. Without that, nothing mentioned above will ever come to be.

Likes bhobba
jim mcnamara said:
Do not overlook Mathematics. Without that, nothing mentioned above will ever come to be.
All the sciences use Mathematics. The more, the better.

Likes bhobba and jim mcnamara
jim mcnamara said:

There are many flavors of physicist - experimental physicist, mathematical physicist, theoretical physicist and probably others as well. They all require a good knowledge of math so much so, some, including me, believe its a good idea to do a double degree in math and physics. I would classify myself as a mathematical physicist, although some have suggested due to my reverence for the book Landau - Mechanics theoretical physicist would be a better label. I can only suggest you get a hold of Landau - Mechanics and read it. If you are in awed rapture as I was then theoretical/mathematical physics is likely your bag. Regarding chemistry I do believe all physicists should do a course in physical/quantum chemistry - but no need to get carried away with it unless of course it grabs you in which case that is likely your thing.

Thanks
Bill

Likes symbolipoint
bhobba said:
Regarding chemistry I do believe all physicists should do a course in physical/quantum chemistry - but no need to get carried away with it unless of course it grabs you in which case that is likely your thing.

If you decide to take physical chemistry, do not take it lightly. It's a class where you should expect at least a couple all-nighters during the quarter to study for exams. The labs are fantastic if you get a chance to take them.

Likes bhobba
I work in Material Physics. Most people at my work are from the chemistry field.
A few of us are from physics.
We are basically useless in their area, and them ours. But it is much easier for us to learn their part than it is the other way around.

A good balance is great in this field, but I wouldn't say it is too terribly necessary for most other fields.

Likes bhobba
Marisa5 said:
If you decide to take physical chemistry, do not take it lightly. It's a class where you should expect at least a couple all-nighters during the quarter to study for exams. The labs are fantastic if you get a chance to take them.

Very true. It is not easy. But worthwhile. And who knows Physical Chemistry may turn out to be your thing.

Thanks
Bill

1. What is the difference between physics and fundamental chemistry?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions, while fundamental chemistry is the study of the basic principles and laws that govern chemical reactions and structures. Physics is a broader field that encompasses many different subfields, including mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. Fundamental chemistry is a more specific field that focuses on the fundamental principles of chemistry.

2. Do I need to study both physics and fundamental chemistry to become a physicist?

Yes, both physics and fundamental chemistry are necessary to become a physicist. A deep understanding of the fundamental principles of both fields is essential for conducting research and making advancements in physics.

3. Can I become a physicist without studying fundamental chemistry?

While it is possible to become a physicist without studying fundamental chemistry, it is highly recommended to have a strong foundation in both fields. Many concepts in physics, such as thermodynamics and quantum mechanics, rely heavily on the principles of fundamental chemistry.

4. Are there any other subjects that are necessary to become a physicist?

In addition to physics and fundamental chemistry, mathematics is also a crucial subject for becoming a physicist. Many concepts in physics require advanced mathematical skills, such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.

5. Is a degree in physics or fundamental chemistry required to become a physicist?

While a degree in physics or fundamental chemistry is not necessarily required to become a physicist, it is highly recommended. Most research positions and career opportunities in physics require a degree in one of these fields. Additionally, a strong understanding of both subjects is necessary to excel in the field of physics.