Are Tait and Euler angles a complete parametrization of 3D space?

• A
  • Thread starter Trying2Learn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Euler Space
In summary: Not a problem. It was my fault -- I just did not know what I was asking.But your comment helped.So thank you!Here's an elementary proof for Euler angles as a complete parametrization of the SO(3). I hope that helps.
Trying2Learn
TL;DR Summary
How do you know these angles cover all orientations?
Hi

With displacements, I KNOW that three orthogonal axes cover all of 3D Space.

What about rotations?

How do I KNOW that the Tait or Euler angles cover all orientations?

For Tait, I would almost "expect" it.
The object rotates about the local body axes in order of: one axis, then a second then a unique third.

For Euler, one rotates about one angle, then a second, then one repeats the first.

I would never have expected that, but I can see it with the gyroscope or a top.

Aside from OBSERVING that we can assert all orientations (ignoring the issue of gimbal lock) by the Euler angle sequence, how would one KNOW that that a repitition of the first axis rotation (but about the new local frame) covers all orientations?

For example, if one multiplies the rotation matrices of the three cases, can one make a statement about the final composite rotation matrix, to assert that it covers all orientations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Trying2Learn said:
Summary:: How do you know these angles cover all orientations?

Aside from OBSERVING that we can assert all orientations (ignoring the issue of gimbal lock) by the Euler angle sequence, how would one KNOW that that a repitition of the first axis rotation (but about the new local frame) covers all orientations?
We know by observing and applying logic. If three Euler angles can be found to relate an arbitrary orientation of a frame relative to another frame, then this can be done for any relative frame orientation.

kuruman said:
We know by observing and applying logic. If three Euler angles can be found to relate an arbitrary orientation of a frame relative to another frame, then this can be done for any relative frame orientation.

I am sorry. I am a bit dense. Could you clarify this?When you say "any arbitrary" to another, how do you know it is truly arbitrary and not some special case?

How do you choose these two test cases?

Trying2Learn said:
I am sorry. I am a bit dense. Could you clarify this?When you say "any arbitrary" to another, how do you know it is truly arbitrary and not some special case?

How do you choose these two test cases?
If the transformation angles are expressed symbolically as ##\alpha,~ \beta,~\gamma## and you can substitute any value you please for each one of them, then you can safely say that their values are not special because they can be anything. Anything is no special thing.

kuruman said:
If the transformation angles are expressed symbolically as ##\alpha,~ \beta,~\gamma## and you can substitute any value you please for each one of them, then you can safely say that their values are not special because they can be anything. Anything is no special thing.

OK, your response helped a lot.

And I follow it.

But it enabled me to focus on exactly the issue that frustrates me.

Since it is now a new issue, I reposted it as a new thread. Could I ask you to turn there?

Trying2Learn said:
OK, your response helped a lot.

And I follow it.

But it enabled me to focus on exactly the issue that frustrates me.

Since it is now a new issue, I reposted it as a new thread. Could I ask you to turn there?
I saw the new thread and I see that your actual question was how you set up an arbitrary rotation matrix ##R(\alpha,\beta,\gamma)## not how one is sure that it is arbitrary. Anyway, I am glad you got that settled.

kuruman said:
I saw the new thread and I see that your actual question was how you set up an arbitrary rotation matrix ##R(\alpha,\beta,\gamma)## not how one is sure that it is arbitrary. Anyway, I am glad you got that settled.
Not a problem. It was my fault -- I just did not know what I was asking.

But your comment helped.

So thank you!

Likes kuruman

1. What is a Tait vs. Euler covering space?

A Tait vs. Euler covering space is a mathematical concept used in topology to describe the relationship between two surfaces. It involves a covering map, which is a continuous function that maps one space onto another, and the surfaces are named after the mathematicians Peter Guthrie Tait and Leonhard Euler who first studied this concept.

2. What is the difference between a Tait and Euler covering space?

The main difference between a Tait and Euler covering space is the way they are constructed. A Tait covering space is constructed by lifting a path from the base space to the covering space, while an Euler covering space is constructed by lifting a loop from the base space to the covering space.

3. How are Tait and Euler covering spaces related?

Tait and Euler covering spaces are related through the fundamental group of the base space. If the fundamental group is finite, then the covering space is a Tait covering space. If the fundamental group is infinite, then the covering space is an Euler covering space.

4. What are some applications of Tait and Euler covering spaces?

Tait and Euler covering spaces have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to study the topology of surfaces, to understand the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and to analyze the stability of dynamical systems.

5. Are there any real-world examples of Tait and Euler covering spaces?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of Tait and Euler covering spaces. One example is the study of the Earth's magnetic field, where the Earth's surface is the base space and the magnetic field lines are the covering space. Another example is the study of the behavior of fluids, where the base space is the surface of the fluid and the covering space is the velocity field of the fluid.