How do you KNOW the Euler (Tait) angles cover orienations

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of how to know if all rotations have been covered when using either Euler angles or Tait-Bryan angles. The proof of the 3-dimensional submanifold of the space of orientations is understood, but there is a desire for an additional, more algebraic explanation. The speaker is surprised that the choice of either Euler or Tait angles can define the orientation, and is wondering if there is an algebraic statement or proof to support this. They also express their anxiety about this issue.
observer1
Well, that question just about states my issue.

We have a body and we rotate about, say, the 3-axis of its body frame.
Then, we must do the next rotation about the 1 or 2 axis.

Let me say we choose the 1-axis
Then we have a choice: continue on to the 2 axis or repeat the 3 axis.

One set is called the Euler angles: precession, nutation, spin
The other set is called the Tait-Bryan angles: pitch, yaw, roll

So now my question is HOW do you KNOW that you have covered all rotations?

I mean, I can see by a geometric argument.
But how do you KNOW it other than by geometry?
Because it seems rather odd, from a distance, that that final choice of either going to the last axis (2) or repeating the first axis (3) SHOULD cover all orientations.

(I understand the proof of how the space of orientations is a 3 dimensional sub manifold of R9. I get that... I follow the proof. I just don't get how one can be so sure, without testing it or without geometry, that the two sequences Euler or Tait can define the orientation (and actually be the three variables)
'

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
observer1 said:
So now my question is HOW do you KNOW that you have covered all rotations?

I mean, I can see by a geometric argument.
But how do you KNOW it other than by geometry?

(I understand the proof of how the space of orientations is a 3 dimensional sub manifold of R9. I get that... I follow the proof.
Hmm, I am not sure what you expect. You understand the geometry and you understand the more abstract proof. What more could we possibly add to that? I am also not sure what you mean by without geometry since it is inherently a geometric question.

I mean, can you describe what form of an answer you are looking for? I just think that it is unlikely we can give a helpful answer as it is.

Likes vanhees71
Dale said:
Hmm, I am not sure what you expect. You understand the geometry and you understand the more abstract proof. What more could we possibly add to that? I am also not sure what you mean by without geometry since it is inherently a geometric question.

YES, I do understand the abstract proof, BUT that proof only proves that a rotation matrix is a 3D submanifold

It does NOT prove WHICH three PHYSICAL angles you need.

Well, perhaps you answered my question with your sincere and transparent objection.

But just in case (if you are so inclined to make one more pass), I suppose I am "startled" that you can rotate about 3, then, 1 and back to 3 and define the orientation.

I suppose, in my "brute" ignorance, I would be content with thinking: 3, then 1 then 2.

But even for both, i suppose I am surprised that either work. I mean, these are intrinsic rotations and, ASIDE from geometry and proving that you can define the orientation, how do you KNOW in advance, that they do?

Or perhaps you are right. Perhaps my incredulity is, in itself, naive.

I don't know.

observer1 said:
But even for both, i suppose I am surprised that either work. I mean, these are intrinsic rotations and, aside from geometry and proving that you can define the orientation, how do you KNOW in advance, that they do?
Well, chances are that your sense of surprise (an emotional response) cannot be resolved by a mathematical proof. But you could at least convince yourself logically by mapping these intrinsic rotations to the complete space of extrinsic rotations.

Dale said:
Well, chances are that your sense of surprise (an emotional response) cannot be resolved by a mathematical proof. But you could at least convince yourself logically by mapping these intrinsic rotations to the complete space of extrinsic rotations.

So is that really it?
I suppose I can accept it.
I can accept that, geometrically, I can prove it.
I suppose I was expecting something more algebraic.

Like maybe: if I multiply out the three different rotation matrices, I get a new rotation matrix where all nine terms are different, so we do cover the space.
Or this
We can use euler parameters and map the result to either euler angles or tait angles.

I only can inuit such a proof right now. I suppose I can work it out later. But I am just surprised that there is no simple algebraic statement that.. well.. in choosing Tait or Euler... "we chose wisely."

observer1 said:
I suppose I was expecting something more algebraic.

Like maybe: if I multiply out the three different rotation matrices, I get a new rotation matrix where all nine terms are different
I suspect that does exist. I may be able to work that out later.

Dale said:

And not to put too much pressure on you... And I will be waiting :-) (with gracious patience and hope)
Because this issue is freaking me out.

1. How do you determine the orientation of an object using Euler (Tait) angles?

The Euler (Tait) angles are a set of three angles that represent the rotation of an object around three different axes. By using these angles, you can determine the orientation of an object in a three-dimensional space.

2. What are the three axes used in Euler (Tait) angles?

The three axes used in Euler (Tait) angles are commonly referred to as the yaw, pitch, and roll axes. The yaw axis represents rotation around the vertical axis, the pitch axis represents rotation around the lateral axis, and the roll axis represents rotation around the longitudinal axis.

3. What is the range of values for each Euler (Tait) angle?

The range of values for each Euler (Tait) angle depends on the chosen convention. The most commonly used convention is the ZYX convention, where the range of values for the yaw angle is between -180 and 180 degrees, the pitch angle between -90 and 90 degrees, and the roll angle between -180 and 180 degrees.

4. How do you convert between different Euler (Tait) angle conventions?

Converting between different Euler (Tait) angle conventions can be done by applying a sequence of rotations around the axes. For example, to convert from the ZYX convention to the XYZ convention, you would rotate the object 180 degrees around the yaw axis, followed by 90 degrees around the pitch axis, and finally 180 degrees around the roll axis.

5. What are the main applications of Euler (Tait) angles?

Euler (Tait) angles have various applications in fields such as robotics, aerospace, and computer graphics. They are commonly used to represent the orientation of an object in 3D space, which is essential for tasks such as navigation and control.